Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

dovlabre

Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 8:02 am

Hi!

I want to buy a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera, and was wondering can this model manage non-stop live streaming 24/7/365 over a broadcaster through HDMI connection?

Thanks!

Denny Smith

Re: Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 5:17 pm

I did a two week non-stop time lapse recording using mains power source. So I would say Yes, it should, if you can power the camera that long. That said, a HDMI connection is limited to 15-feet or less cable connection to get best results. A longer cable run is going to require converting the HDMI to SDI at the csmera end, and connecting to your Broadcast switcher via SDI. Also you would want to insure a cool air flow over the camera, to keep it from overheating.

Any reason you want to use the Micro Cinema camera over the Micro Studio Camera, which has SDI outputs and is designed for Broadcast applications? If you still want to use the Micro Cinema camera, I have one in new condition for sale (see Off Topic add for details), send me a PM.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

dovlabre

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 7:34 am

Denny Smith wrote:I did a two week non-stop time lapse recording using mains power source. So I would say Yes, it should, if yiu can power the camera that long. That said, a HDMI connection is limited to 15-feet or less cable connection to get best results. A longer cable run is going to require converting the HDMI to SDI at the csmera end, and connecting to your Broadcast switcher via SDI. Also you would want to insure a cool air flow over the camera, to keep it from overheating.

Any reason you want to use the Micro Cinema camera over the Micro Studio Camera, which has SDI outputs and is designed for Broadcast applications? If you still want to use the Micro Cinema camera, I have one in new condition for sale (see Off Topic add for details), send me a PM.
Cheers

Thanxs, Denny!

dovlabre

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 10:04 am

dovlabre wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:I did a two week non-stop time lapse recording using mains power source. So I would say Yes, it should, if yiu can power the camera that long. That said, a HDMI connection is limited to 15-feet or less cable connection to get best results. A longer cable run is going to require converting the HDMI to SDI at the csmera end, and connecting to your Broadcast switcher via SDI. Also you would want to insure a cool air flow over the camera, to keep it from overheating.

Cheers

Thanxs, Denny!

I have another question, if you don't mind, Denny (or anyone else).

When broadcasting, is it enough to simply switch the camera on or do we have to turn on the recording mode (we will be using the HDMI cable connecting to the broadcaster)?

Regarding the camera, we are located in Serbia, Europe, so it is not economically justified to purchase and ship something from the USA.

Thanx!

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 pm

The HDMI connection will output a signal, based on the camera setup and monitor output settings, as soon as you trun the camera on. You do not need to go into record mode.

If you power from an external power source, like the mains connection, it will power up as soon as you connect power to the camera connection.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

dovlabre

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 7:27 am

Thank you, Denny, you are the best!
You have been most helpful.

Bye!

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 4:51 pm