Where are files?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dirpcg

Where are files?

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 4:17 pm

WHY Does Resolve "hide" edit sessions and cache files / database info?

We're using OSX and considering moving to Resolve from Premier but can't even figure out how to SAVE an edit session and optimized cache files so we can share with other editors????

PLEASE don't make this unnecessarily hard Blackmagic...computers have file structures for a reason and NO I don't want to save ALL our files locally on a computer directory hidden deep in the Library are you insane?

Thanks!

JPOwens

Where are files?

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 4:41 pm

dirpcg wrote:Does Resolve "hide" edit sessions and cache files / database info?

Basically since davsys 1986. Its in the database because that is how the continuous file-save structure was engineered. You would have to dig up the guys who ran the offices in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea to get the authentic back story.

You share the Resolve project by exporting a .drp. Just like a prj, works pretty well, all things considered. Cache directories have different structural paths on different systems, so that is going to be a little tougher, and I get diagnostics without fail that I have to re-assign, but considering the minefield that XML exchange used to be... I'll take it.

jPo, CSI

Nick Verlinden

Where are files?

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 6:09 pm

When I started to learn Resolve a few years ago, I had similar concerns. But now, I'm quite used to it, and like it very much. We have adapted our workflow to the Postgres system, and backups are being done. Archiving is done once a project is finished by exporting a .drp file.
macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 15

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Where are files?

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 pm

You can use the Project Archive feature to move projects, media and cache files between Resolve systems.

Details on page 59 of the Resolve 14 Manual:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/manual ... Manual.pdf
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dermot Shane

Where are files?

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm

+1 to archive, it works well, works all day long trouble free, works between systems on differing OS

it's a core piece of my workflow, conform and export an archive to the server for any other machine to use

Tom Early

Where are files?

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 7:39 pm

At my old workplace we had a disk database on a shared storage system, works just like Premiere projects. Details to set everything up are in the manual of course.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Chip.Murphy

Where are files?

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 8:00 pm

read the shared database part of the user manual.

dirpcg

Re: Where are files?

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Great and very complete answer thank you. SIGH. +1000 for a more standard solution (that undoubtably will take lots of engineering efforts not going into the rest of my wish list) Blackmagic...

JPOwens wrote:
dirpcg wrote:Does Resolve "hide" edit sessions and cache files / database info?

Basically since davsys 1986. Its in the database because that is how the continuous file-save structure was engineered. You would have to dig up the guys who ran the offices in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea to get the authentic back story.

You share the Resolve project by exporting a .drp. Just like a prj, works pretty well, all things considered. Cache directories have different structural paths on different systems, so that is going to be a little tougher, and I get diagnostics without fail that I have to re-assign, but considering the minefield that XML exchange used to be... I'll take it.

jPo, CSI

dirpcg

Re: Where are files?

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Thank you all for the informative responses. Our current workflow is *not* using shared storage for a lot of good reasons but ongoing incremental cloning of all media / assets / project files via rsync (Carbon Copy cloner) to completely separate volumes to safeguard against inevitable drive failure. Waiting until a project is "done" is not feasible as it would be not having backups for the duration of the project and wouldn't allow multiple editors to work on the same project on different workstations simultaneously.

Can anyone speak to a new workflow we might develop that would allow something similar to Resolve? Thanks again...VERY much hoping not to head back to Media Composer but starting to wonder if that's my only remaining option for cross platform speed and stability (the 2 reasons we're abandoning Adobe finally).

Thanks again...

Return to DaVinci Resolve