Project Server in Virtual Machine

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Verlinden

Project Server in Virtual Machine

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi,

At my workplace, we are about to setup a Resolve shared database. Is it correct that you can not launch the Project Server in a virtual machine (probably because it has no GPU)?

In that case, I think it would be handy if you could run the Project Server configuration tool on a remote machine for managing a Postgres installation on a virtual machine. It seems that the tool only lets you manage local Postgres installations.

My workplace, a national cable television network, does not want to invest in dedicated servers anymore. This seems to be the trend for larger companies.

Kind regards,
Nick
macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 15

Chip.Murphy

Re: Project Server in Virtual Machine

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 8:05 pm

Is there even a reason to launch the Resolve Project manager if it's running in a VM?

We have our Postgres VM running on vanilla CentOS 7.4 minimal installation with configuration from custom Ansible playbooks. It works great and is completely automated, PG_HBA and postgresql.conf included. No Gnome or X installation makes for a lean VM.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Looks like the Resolve Project Server works fine in a Windows 10 64 bit VM.

Make sure when you run the Resolve installer, you tick the PostgreSQL install box.

Make sure the VM is on the same subnet as the clients.

If you are using Windows Firewall on the VM, you'll need to make an Inbound access rule for PostgreSQL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Nick Verlinden

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I have cheked with my IT department, and they are installing the CentOS iso provided by BMD, I have attached a screenshot of the error they get.

Kind regards,
Nick

Resolve VM.png
Resolve VM.png (408.45 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 2:34 pm

I don't understand the question.

Resolve Project Server app is only available for Mac and Windows. There is no Linux version.

So I assumed we were talking about a Windows 10 VM.

Correct that you can't normally run the actual Resolve app in a VM, as most VM environments don't provide direct access to the GPU hardware, which the Resolve app requires. That said, I've seen reported that there is a higher end VMWare option that can provide direct GPU access, and people claim to have made Resolve run in that scenario. That's not something we can assist with.
Dwaine Maggart

Nick Verlinden

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Thank you, that answers the question. The IT departement thought it should have worked, but now we know there is no Linux version of the Project Server. Sorry for the confusion. We will use a vanilla postgres installation as our central database VM.

Kind regards,
Nick
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Correct that you can't normally run the actual Resolve app in a VM, as most VM environments don't provide direct access to the GPU hardware, which the Resolve app requires. That said, I've seen reported that there is a higher end VMWare option that can provide direct GPU access, and people claim to have made Resolve run in that scenario. That's not something we can assist with.

fyi

I have Resolve Studio running fine in a OSX Sierra VM (qemu base) on a dual xeon UNRAID host. It allows easy PCIE passthru, which i used to passthru an NVIDIA GPU and a 10GB ethernet card as well as several SSD's (native)
Use it as background render node or just as second workstation if 1st is bussy.
Unraid is stellar in allowing (next to its base functions as storage vault) hardware passthru and granting near native (almost undistinguishable) performance. Has great docker functions as well.

For DB's as mentioned by others you dont need any GUI / monitor and can run in any flavor of OS, hardware or VM without any issues.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks for that info Glenn. unRAID looks very interesting.

Regarding your comments about not needing any GUI for DBs, that's true, but the Resolve Project Server app provides an easy to use GUI front end to create and share DBs and generate DB access tokens with, which makes it more user friendly, and avoids having to mess with pg_hba.conf files manually, and avoids users having to know the server IP address and precise DB names to connect to a remote DB. They just drag the access token onto the Project Manager page and have a connected remote DB.

I hope we'll make a Linux version at some point.
Dwaine Maggart

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Appreciated. Its nice that you guys not only cater to the techies like me but also to the average user or even experienced graders that just dont want to bother messing with techie stuff like databases etc, by making a tool that helps managing the backend db.
A linux version surely will be helpfull , although more then likely the user that uses linux for resolve is already more techie by definition so i get that its last in line ;-)
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

William Eguienta

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 12:59 pm

+1 for a linux version
more and more places works on linux without hightend technician. a simple interface to manage resolveDB on linux would help a lot

Return to DaVinci Resolve