Does temperature matter?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Dearing

Does temperature matter?

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 2:57 pm

Having come from still shooting RAW images, I know temperature is just meta data stored in the RAW file, and means absolutely nothing- you process RAW the way you want it.

But what about ProRes HQ? Or even some of the more compressed flavors of ProRes? I've been shooting ProRes HQ to learn my camera, and I'm not seeing much image degredation at all when I change the temp in post. So the question is, does temp matter, or can you just set the camera to 5400 or so and fix in post?
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Robert Niessner

Re: Does temperature matter?

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 3:12 pm

I'd say under normal lighting conditions it won't matter, as long as non of your color channels clips and your white balance is not too far off. But if you for example shoot at 3200K in sunlight it might happen that your blue channel clips a bit because it is increased beyond what it should be. Or even if it does not clip it will raise out of the almost linear part into the compressed part and dialing it back won't work as expected.

Filming indoors I would try to do a correct white balance - especially with all those mixed lighting today and the tendency to light stages with strong blue LED lights.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Denny Smith

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 4:57 pm

As Robert said, you do not need to be as accurate as when yiu shoot JPEG or Rec709 Video, but you should get coor balance as close as possible to make grading easier, and get as clean looking footage as possible.
I find 4500K gets my Micro Cinema sensor close with mixed light, and open shade, going to 5500K for bright sun and 3200-3800 for most indoor incandescent lighting. LEDs are another world all together, and you should measure them.

I found a nice easy IPone application that turns the phone into a color temp meter that is close enough to get a close color balance, iMonAd, and LuxMeter Plus also gives color balance as well and light brightness measure in Lux. It also adds a RGB parade display, very useful little tool.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Dearing

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Excellent. Thank you, gentlemen.
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Uli Plank

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm

But don’t update iOS or iMonAd will cease to work.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 am

Yes, I discovered that the hard way. But I still have my old IPhone that has not been updated, and it still works on it. LuxMeter P,us still works, as the program has been updated for the new IOS.
I always have a backup!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

OwenCrowley

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 10:02 pm

CineMeter II works on current IOS.

And yes, it is better to aim at the right color balance, even when shooting raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography