Decklink Realtime 25fps/1080 with Single CPU (i7)?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jangessler

Decklink Realtime 25fps/1080 with Single CPU (i7)?

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 9:14 am

Hi guys,

i was wondering if it is possible to run realtime playback in HD via decklink card one a single cpu mainboard? Which MB?

My momentary config:
Asus P9x79 Pro
- Quadro 600 (gui)
- GTX680 (gpu)
- 3D Decklink extreme (but i just need HD, no 3D or 4K for now)

Playback without decklink card is working on gui display. Playback with decklink card is not working with more than 16fps. As i learned from the config pdf and other posts. The Asus MB and many other single cpu boards dont have enough lanes for using 3xPCI Slots to use the decklink card together.

Would it work with the USB3-decklink and the Asus P9x79? Although I dont want to buy the USB3-box. Id rather change the MB to have it all in one box nor i want to change to a dual xeon solution cause i just bought a new i7...

Some suggest the ASRock X79 Extreme11 or Asus Rampage IV. So my big question will it be possible with one of these two boards to use gui-card, gpu card and decklink working with realtime playback?

I think the ASRock is faking more lanes until a bottleneck. Would the decklink card fit one the ASRock with 7pcix and work in realtime?

I am glad to read some experiments on that...

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

Re: Decklink Realtime 25fps/1080 with Single CPU (i7)?

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 12:49 pm

jangessler wrote:Hi guys,

i was wondering if it is possible to run realtime playback in HD via decklink card one a single cpu mainboard? Which MB?

My momentary config:
Asus P9x79 Pro
- Quadro 600 (gui)
- GTX680 (gpu)
- 3D Decklink extreme (but i just need HD, no 3D or 4K for now)

Playback without decklink card is working on gui display. Playback with decklink card is not working with more than 16fps. As i learned from the config pdf and other posts. The Asus MB and many other single cpu boards dont have enough lanes for using 3xPCI Slots to use the decklink card together.

Would it work with the USB3-decklink and the Asus P9x79? Although I dont want to buy the USB3-box. Id rather change the MB to have it all in one box nor i want to change to a dual xeon solution cause i just bought a new i7...

Some suggest the ASRock X79 Extreme11 or Asus Rampage IV. So my big question will it be possible with one of these two boards to use gui-card, gpu card and decklink working with realtime playback?

I think the ASRock is faking more lanes until a bottleneck. Would the decklink card fit one the ASRock with 7pcix and work in realtime?

I am glad to read some experiments on that...

Make sure the Decklink is in the slot which doesn't slow down the 2 GPU PCI slots. I can't recall which exact slot number that is, but there is one slot which doesn't share the lanes.

Couple of other ideas to try:

- Enable optimized playback in the Video Monitoring section
- Use a single 680 and see if it helps (i.e. remove the Q600)

We have this same exact configuration working, and it's listed in our configuration guide, only difference being we're using the USB 3 Decklink instead of a PCI Decklink, but as I mentioned, as long as you use the correct slot, it should work.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Pepijn Klijs

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 1:58 pm

I got the asus board as well with a gtx 560, gtx 580 and a decklink sdi. Works like a charm! So probably Rohit is right and you should check the boards manual on where to put the cards.

jangessler

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks Rohit!

I got it working. Thanks for the hint. I almost bought another MB.

Pepo, Is the Cuda performance of the GUI card also used for rendering in resolve? I guess you use the 560 as first graphic card /GUI. Cause i think about using a stronger card than the Q600 as GUI...

Pepijn Klijs

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:45 pm

I don't think the gui card is used for rendering, but Rohit can answer that question better than me.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 5:24 am

The GUI card performance affects the whole system performance but is not used for image processing.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to Post Production