iMac PRO

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Suzana

iMac PRO

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 7:18 am

Hello

I am quite in using Blackmagic Ursa mini pro.. Until now I was a Sony user but this camera is amazing. I need a few informations.
Now I am planing on buying a new iMac. My old one needs to be replaced. iMac Pro looks crazy but of course it is a lot of money. I was advised to buy a "regular" iMac and just invest money in RAM and SSD. I need something that my FCPX can run 4K material smoothly. Also I want to make most of my BM camera.
Any advice from iMac users? Thank you !

Suzana

Jack Fairley

Re: iMac PRO

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 pm

If you want to make the most of your camera, you should use Resolve so you can work with the camera's compressed raw formats. Absolutely do not buy a regular iMac and load it up with RAM and storage space - this is amateur advice from people who do not understand what components are responsible for post-production performance.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Brad Hurley

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:If you want to make the most of your camera, you should use Resolve so you can work with the camera's compressed raw formats. Absolutely do not buy a regular iMac and load it up with RAM and storage space - this is amateur advice from people who do not understand what components are responsible for post-production performance.

If you do decide to use Resolve instead of Final Cut Pro, be sure to read the configuration guide at http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/D ... _Guide.pdf so you see what's necessary.

You don't need as much GPU horsepower to edit 4K video in Final Cut; you might actually be able to get by with the highest-end older iMac version, or if you already have a good monitor you could buy a 2013 Mac Pro (the "trash can" model) with the D700 GPUs, which is cheaper than the iMac Pro as long as you already have a monitor.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Peter Odio

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Suzana wrote:Hello

I am quite in using Blackmagic Ursa mini pro.. Until now I was a Sony user but this camera is amazing. I need a few informations.
Now I am planing on buying a new iMac. My old one needs to be replaced. iMac Pro looks crazy but of course it is a lot of money. I was advised to buy a "regular" iMac and just invest money in RAM and SSD. I need something that my FCPX can run 4K material smoothly. Also I want to make most of my BM camera.
Any advice from iMac users? Thank you !

Suzana

Hi Suzana, we have and use everyday the Mac Pro (D700), the iMac 5K and now we have two new iMacPro that are crazy fast.
I personally like the Mac Pro, and the iMac 5k works really good too, and any of the later would be enough to do most of the workflows, and you could find them very inexpensively on eBay. Make sure you get enough memory (I have 32G) and fast drives and connectors (like Raid and thunderbolt).
If you need to work with RAW files, fist make proxy copies, work with those and conform to finish with RAW files. Most ProRes files will work fine. (this video will give you a better idea
)
Good luck!
promedios.tv

Suzana

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am

Thank you all . This is very helpful to me. Of course I want to make most of my BMU camera.

Return to Post Production