Repair company for Blackmagic products

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

clubbingtv

Repair company for Blackmagic products

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Hello,

I need to repair an "out of warranty" Blackmagic URSA Mini, (sensor replacement), do you guys know any good company in Europe doing Blackmagic camera repair with official parts ?

best regards,
Stéphane

Denny Smith

Re: Repair company for Blackmagic products

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 5:23 pm

None that I know of. Yiu need to contact your local BM Support office directly to get this sorted. They should be able to hook you up with a repair. BM does not have any “official” third party repair shops other than their own regional Support Offices, as far as I know. I have seen seen some cases, where BM repaired UM out of warranty and did not charge for it, depending on what the issue is. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Peter Benson

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 6:53 pm

When BMD devices are repaired, let's insist and not just hope the Service Centers get wise and out-do the BMD OEM manufacturer, so every repair on a BMD circuit board or BMD PCIe card, etc., etc. includes the use of hot glue where applicable, to circumvent the manufacturer defect scenario depicted in this sobering image I snapped after opening the factory sealed anti-static bag containing my brand new Decklink Studio 4K.

Images: Decklink PCIe card's heat exchanger/cooling fan assembly being not tightly secured in both its design and manufacture, results in said assembly rattling loose during shipment and handling;

Thereby ripping said fan from the mechanical-integrity-compromised bit of thermal paste sparingly applied by manufacturing employees.

Result is likely a return to vendor for an "iffy product exchange". ImageImage

Resolve Studio 14.3...014 | MiniMonitor | DTV Setup 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 pm

clubbingtv wrote:Hello,

I need to repair an "out of warranty" Blackmagic URSA Mini, (sensor replacement), do you guys know any good company in Europe doing Blackmagic camera repair with official parts ?

best regards,
Stéphane
And how would you get a Sensor?? These sensors are specially made for BMD.. And every sensor is calibrated to their electronics to match.. Because every sensor has little deviations..

So the only right way is to contact BMD. Ask for a repair quote.. I know they do stock spare parts for all UM line cameras.. Also out of waranty repairs are possible depending on the defect.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

clubbingtv

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 10:50 am

Hello,

BMD already told me that it's not economically viable to repair.
But a company in the USA called Video Cam Repair claims they can repair with original parts.

I don't know...

best,
stéphane

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 9:16 am

clubbingtv wrote:But a company in the USA called Video Cam Repair claims they can repair with original parts.

Highly doubt this.. As BMD does not sell factory parts like sensors.. Maybe they have another ursa that is faulty for parts and they want to swap out the sensor.. But still without the propper calibration you might end up with a sensor that doesn't behave as you want it to be.. Calibration is done in Factory before delivery..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production