Stop requiring form filled out for free version

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Justin Jackson

Stop requiring form filled out for free version

PostWed May 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Is there any chance we can stop requiring to fill out the entire form.. or any of it, to download the free version. I have registered my info multiple times.. and now I just randomly tap some keys quickly to bypass it. I understand wanting to know who is downloading the free version.. but at some point.. especially during a beta, it gets tiring re-entering the same info. Use cookies maybe.. to determine if they need to see the form again.. I know its not a solution all the time, but at least it would avoid me having to fill in a bunch of dummy info to get the download. Put a checkmark.. already been here.. or just have the form with email.. and then if the email is registered.. start the download. If not, then ask for the form fill out. Easy stuff to put in place.. would save many of us a lot of time.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Cary Knoop

Re: Stop requiring form filled out for free version

PostWed May 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Since you joined this forum about two years ago I wonder how long have you been using Resolve?
Perhaps it is time to appreciate Blackmagic and buy a license for $299?

Byron Dickens

PostWed May 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Small price to pay in light of what you get. Particularly considering what information everybody else has about you already.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Hartmut Kuhse

PostWed May 16, 2018 5:42 pm

But getting a license for 299$/€ does not help.
I have it and the form must be filled nevertheless...

Hatti
Win 10 x64 (1803), i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide

Cary Knoop

PostWed May 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Hartmut Kuhse wrote:But getting a license for 299$/€ does not help.

Not to me, I get a "Download Only" option in the left bottom corner:

download.png
download.png (63.57 KiB) Viewed 12513 times
Last edited by Cary Knoop on Wed May 16, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean Claude

PostWed May 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Hartmut Kuhse wrote:But getting a license for 299$/€ does not help.

Hatti

Hi,
No offense,
Buying a license or not does not mean explicitly free training.

In summary: always, always experiment. I did not say it first: it comes from BMD for a very long time :roll:
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

AlanKafton

PostWed May 16, 2018 11:38 pm

It’s being offered for free, so what’s the big deal about entering a bit on information each time?

I have the paid version, & in my opinion, BMD would benefit themselves by being more explicit about the performance & feature advantages of getting the paid version. That’s a thread in itself.

The paid version is a bargain!

Martin Schitter

PostThu May 17, 2018 12:59 am

i also hate this really stupid fill out forms and annoying angular web pages, which make it very complicated to repack the installer into native debian packages automatically by CI means, etc. ...

but on the other hand it's an appreciated reminder, to demonstrate and feel again, what makes the difference between real 'free' software and this very questionable kinds of 'free beer' surrogate. ;)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 17, 2018 6:23 am

On this page
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... and-fusion

have a look for this
DaVinci Resolve 15 Feature Comparison Guide
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jeff Brass

PostThu May 17, 2018 10:44 am

wow, people want so much for nothing. Complaining about filling out a form in order to get a pro level grading software for free??

And for those that have the studio version - just click download only.

Come on people, it isn't that difficult
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Justin Jackson

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 4:18 am

Woa..wait just a minute.. my request is legitimate.. first of all.. I have purchased quite a few things from BM and plan to buy their 4K camera WITH license.. hence not buying it now.

Even so, BM is asking us to beta test their software.. for free... QA engineers get paid a pretty decent salary... I have no problem helping with beta testing.. but a rather annoying thing is every time there is an update I have to fill out the same form. I already have. Dozens of times over the years. Mostly with crap just to get by it though.. I suspect I am not alone in finding this annoying. If I log in using my login like I do here.. and already filled it out.. save my damn information and stop asking me to re-enter it for a download link. I feel like this is done on purpose to try to get everyone to buy the full version just to not be annoyed. However, I find that to be a bit petty to think they actually hope to convert sales that way... so I will believe that is not the case.

Every other beta program I have been in either has an auto updater in the program.. which is something long overdo for Resolve anyway... or a download link that just installs over the previous version. I am already logged in.. you got my info.. I am helping test the product at no cost.. all I ask is for a very simple thing.

For those of you thinking I am ridiculous for asking.. I take it you like to fill out the same info that never changes when you visit your doctors, dentists, schools, etc. I dont. It is 2018. It is all digital. Store it (assuming GPDR is abided by correctly) and stop pestering me!

That is all.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 4:53 am

Justin Jackson wrote:Even so, BM is asking us to beta test their software.. for free...

No one is forcing you to use the Beta release. If you want a version of Resolve that definitely works and is final, stick with version 14.3. In a few months, the Beta test will be over and 15 will be finalized, and then you can make the decision whether or not to switch.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Justin Jackson

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 6:25 am

I realize that and that is fair... and I am perfectly fine with helping.. heck they are giving away a powerful suite.. but my ask was simply to fix the download link so that when i log in, and have already entered my info, but want to get the next release of the beta.. or an update.. that I dont have to keep entering my info. Even if I register the free version, in no other software do I have to re-enter my information over and over again to get the download link. There is no good reason for it. Most likely like me most people enter a bunch of crap letters to get past it so all it does is generate a lot of useless data. Far better to use my login and log that I am downloading it again.. or updating, etc than what occurs now. Dont mistake me saying that we are testing their software for free as if I am ungrateful.. far from it. I am just a big fan of not having to re-enter the same data over and over again. I am sure this is no surprise, but every year at my various doctors that I re-visit, when they give me that piece of paper to enter all that info.. I return it and tell them nothing changed.. they say we need you to fill it out anyway.. I say.. its 2010/11/12/13.. and so on.. why cant you just take the data i already spent 1/2 hour filling out last time and carry it over. This is more or less that.. they already have all my info.. numerous times before i just started filling in crap because it is a waste of time.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 2:20 pm

AlanKafton wrote:It’s being offered for free, so what’s the big deal about entering a bit on information each time?

It's tiresome. Once is fine. Every...single...time is maddening.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Jeff Brass wrote:Complaining about filling out a form in order to get a pro level grading software for free?

No, that's not the complaint. The complaint is having to fill out the same form over and over again.

It's been filled out. Done. Move on.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 2:24 pm

I think the best solution here is for BMD to add an Update feature to the software itself, so that downloading from the web site isn't required.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Byron Dickens

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Meanwhile...

There are people in the third world with actual problems.

Justin Jackson

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Byron Dickens wrote:Meanwhile...

There are people in the third world with actual problems.

Why bother with this reply? This could fit just about every post in this forum.. pedal it somewhere else.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Byron Dickens wrote:There are people in the third world with actual problems.

So...we First Worlders should just stop making things better entirely?

The relative severity of another's problem may put one's own problem into perspective, but that's no reason not to try solving one's own problem.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jean Claude

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 4:50 pm

It's only engage me

I think we must respect a company that asks to fill out a contact form when we download a trial version (the FREE version).

Normally, we test a TRIAL FREE version for a period: it's nice or not.
If you like it we buy a license (Studio => see registration form of the Studio version). Otherwise (often) no other solution to UNinstall.

I do not understand that kind of discussion. Some imagine that because it is a TRIAL / FREE version, no more form to fill out?

And if one day a commercial of BMD search to contact you to make you a commercial proposal? without information: how?

I think many people imagine that it is a TRIAL / FREE version with no time limit: they have all the rights and in addition they allow themselves claims :roll:

Virtually all producers who offer a free version limit its use in time. BMD does not limit in time => then a little effort for a version that includes so much of the Studio version less specificities that do not prevent testing the software.

All that does not prevent to read the manual: it would never come to mind and for another subject not to do it :roll:

Kenavo! :)
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Byron Dickens

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 5:46 pm

OK. How about there are people trying to use DR who have actual problems? Crashes. Project got corrupted. No audio (there's a big one!) Issues with rendering. It used to work on my computer but now it won't even load. You know. Real problems.

So you have to fill out a simple form with some very basic information and it takes you a grand total of three whole minutes closer to your death.

Such a minor annoyance compared to getting a pro level NLE and color grading suite for no cost beyond a few minutes of time.

It annoys me too that my employer is always asking me to resubmit information that they [should] already have. I think what the ...? What did you people do with it? Eat it for lunch? But it takes a lot less energy to just send it in again.

Oh, that my life was so easy that paperwork redundancy could rank among my major concerns!

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Jean Claude wrote:I think we must respect a company that asks to fill out a contact form when we download a trial version (the FREE version).

Sure. Once.

It's unnecessary and frustrating to do it every time.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Byron Dickens wrote:It annoys me too that my employer is always asking me to resubmit information that they [should] already have.

Sounds like you understand the issue here. Welcome aboard.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jean Claude

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Byron Dickens wrote:OK. How about there are people trying to use DR who have actual problems? Crashes. Project got corrupted. No audio (there's a big one!) Issues with rendering. It used to work on my computer but now it won't even load. You know. Real problems.

So you have to fill out a simple form with some very basic information and it takes you a grand total of three whole minutes closer to your death.

Such a minor annoyance compared to getting a pro level NLE and color grading suite for no cost beyond a few minutes of time.

It annoys me too that my employer is always asking me to resubmit information that they [should] already have. I think what the ...? What did you people do with it? Eat it for lunch? But it takes a lot less energy to just send it in again.

Oh, that my life was so easy that paperwork redundancy could rank among my major concerns!

We'll talk about it later because I think we're not really talking about the same thing.

TRIAL: we test
Studio: we have a support. :mrgreen:

JPOwens

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 6:59 pm

The "Download Only" checkbox works for me. Three licenses.

Not a big fan of "Auto Update" since Apple eff's up my operating system (or would, if I allowed it) every. single. time. Also not big on hopscotching over versions that have potential for voiding my database. Not a fan of switching versions in the middle of a project or series. Control. It suits me. Go like a Pro.

jPo, CSI

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 11:36 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:
Even so, BM is asking us to beta test their software.. for free...

nope.. your choice.... they "offer" the possibility....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Justin Jackson

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 7:15 am

@JeanClaude.. I think you are missing the point. I filled it out, so has everybody. Most of us, probably all of us filled it out with valid information the first time we downloaded v 8/9/10/11/12/etc. But each and every time.. I log in, then download. Especially during beta when we typically log in to the forums, see the notice of a new beta release, and are logged in. Thus, why.. being logged in with my data actually stored (assuming they store the form data.. if they dont then why bother asking for it), why do I need to re-enter it?? Every other site I have been to that has some semblance of building a form, auto-fills the form in with my info that I already entered before.. basically allowing me to change things if need be.

I tell you what, I will meet them half way. If I am not logged in, and try to download it..then sure, ask me to fill it out, in hopes I get an email and sign up to get future updates, contribute to the forums, etc. But if I am logged in already.. assume I have already filled it out.. or write the few lines of code to check if I filled it out, and skip it if I have (or offer a button to update my profile if need be) and present the download link. It is really not hard to do this and is vastly more user friendly and convenient for those that have already been here and filled it in.

For those of you retorting back like "Oh wow.. you have to spend a few minutes of your day filling out a form again... big deal.. more important things to worry about". Just.. stop. Seriously. This is a VERY easy fix and if any of you had to fill out a form over and over every time you wanted to update your android or ios phone, mac or windows software, etc.. you would be pissed. They dont make you re-enter that data over and over because they have it already. It is beyond stupid and for anyone to argue otherwise you clearly are trying to argue a point that we shouldnt even be arguing. We are the customers.. be it a free piece of software or not. It is a professional product, from an established professional company. Make the damn download bit professional too.. like most other products you buy. Dont push that "its free stop complaining" crap either. That is no reason to continue to leave an annoying easy to fix part of the site for years now the same.

End of the day, I have no choice. But years later, I am baffled as to why this is still the same. It just makes no sense. I am telling you and them.. and I know I am not alone in this, that I garbage fill it with non useful data.. because after filing it out several times with valid data.. I am tired of doing it. Has nothing to do with the few minutes to do it.. it has to do with there isnt a reason I should be filling it out again and again. This is why you will continue to have to fill out gobs of paper every time you re-register in school, visit doctor each year, etc.. because people like those of you saying "big deal... " are behind why we still have to fill in paper with info they already have electronically and are purely doing it "just in case" despite that I tell them.. nothing has changed. "Sorry.. we need it anyway". No.. you really dont. Its already in there. Copy and paste or complain (like I am here) to the software company that you need the ability to re-use the data rather than piss of patients by asking them to spend x minutes hand writing or typing the same info out.

Justin Jackson

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 7:18 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
Justin Jackson wrote:
Even so, BM is asking us to beta test their software.. for free...

nope.. your choice.... they "offer" the possibility....

Yes true.. I figured most reading this would understand that.. my point in saying that is it is beta software and we by using it and offering bugs and such ARE testing it for free for them. I realize we have a choice.. I didnt think anyone would nitpick at this for the sake of arguing it.

eikonoklastes

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 11:17 am

Doesn't bother me. The whole form only takes about 15 seconds to fill out accurately, should be less if you want to just fill in bogus info like you now do.

Leslie Wand

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm

sure beats getting in the car and having to drive to the shopping mall...

if you use any form of form filler it takes one click on the first box and 'bingo' all's filled in.

maybe cause i'm so old i have acquired a degree of patience that i didn't have some years ago?
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Byron Dickens

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Absolutely. Filling out a really simple form is WAAAAYYY low on my list of worries.

Resubmitting paperwork is a minor annoyance. But ultimately it causes me no harm, suffers me no damage and it is a lot easier to just do it than to waste time bitching about it. There are far more important things to worry about and this is not the hill I'm willing to die on.

I'd gladly fill out all the forms BMD asks me to if I could run the program on lesser hardware and import audio at multiple varying bit depths and samplerates and have it automatically resample it to match my projects just like any DAW can do.

sacherjj

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 12:50 am

eikonoklastes wrote:Doesn't bother me. The whole form only takes about 15 seconds to fill out accurately, should be less if you want to just fill in bogus info like you now do.

I own a studio license and I also fill it out with crap, because it is annoying to redo every single beta i download (on multiple PCs.) Most apps allow you to detect that there is an update and pull the download at least from the app.
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 15 Studio
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Asrock x370 Tachi
32GB DDR4 @ 3200
GTX 1060 6GB
BM Intensity Pro 4k

Cary Knoop

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 3:56 am

sacherjj wrote:
eikonoklastes wrote:Doesn't bother me. The whole form only takes about 15 seconds to fill out accurately, should be less if you want to just fill in bogus info like you now do.

I own a studio license and I also fill it out with crap, because it is annoying to redo every single beta i download (on multiple PCs.) Most apps allow you to detect that there is an update and pull the download at least from the app.

It should detect it, if you have a license you should get a download only link (scroll down on the image to see it at the bottom):

download.png
download.png (63.57 KiB) Viewed 11769 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 6:19 am

For Studio users, scroll to Download Only!
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Micha Clazing

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 11:32 am

I think I filled in that form once, back in the Resolve 9 days. Subsequent downloads I've always populated the form fields with some variation of "asd" or "sdf".

Nowadays it's not so much of an issue any more, since the dual licensing model of dongle/key, I can have Studio installed on multiple workstations without worrying too much about running multiple copies of Studio, but back when I only had one dongle, I would install both Studio and Lite side-by-side so I could at least access projects without a dongle inserted. So every time I had to download Lite there was bogus information to fill into that form. But I consider it more BMD's problem than mine - it's their customer database that is getting flooded with "sdfsgdg", after all. It doesn't take me more than a few seconds to fill in.

Martin Schitter

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 12:42 am

Micha Clazing wrote:I think I filled in that form once, back in the Resolve 9 days. Subsequent downloads I've always populated the form fields with some variation of "asd" or "sdf".

i just do the same, but it's still very uncomfortable do download the the binaries by same CI/CD solutions like GitLab and repack them e.g. for our preferred linux distributions or do some automatic tests of different resolve versions.

Justin Jackson

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 8:51 pm

My point is and has been.. it is NOT hard to make it so that when I log in and go to download, it already knows my info.. I already filled it out. No reason to have to fill it out again. I am a software engineer and built sites back in the late 90s that did this for you. I have no doubt in my mind the web/eng team of BM can do this. As well, I suspect they have EVERY single form ever filled out and can do a simple bit of calculation on how many people fill in a bunch of random crap and then download, vs those that fill in the SAME data they already have.. and download.. and probably end up seeing more times than not random crap filled in and submitted.. thus that should say to them.. people are tired of or dont care to re-enter the same form data every time they download the same application. It isnt a matter of being lazy.. that just stupid for anyone to say that. We have auto form fill in plugins for browsers, etc. Frankly for me it is initially that the application itself doesnt yet have the ability to auto download and update itself. Other than really basic software that is developed by those incapable of (for one reason or another) providing this, pretty much every software application I use has the ability to download an update and apply it for you. Thats been around for ages. The only reason to have this form (for the free version) is to get email addresses to email them about products. I dont know..but I doubt they actually call people who put in their phone number. So what does this form data server a purpose for if not to put them on an email list to send them emails?

Anyway..

I do plan on having the studio version when I get my BM 4K camera with the license. Once that is done, I will only have the Download link to click on which solves this problem for me. For those still helping BM testing the software for free, it will remain a nuisance.

Mark Sterne

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:My point is and has been...

The amount of time you've spent repeating your point at length would probably have been enough to fill out the download form about 15 times... just sayin'.

The "what features would you like to see" field can be used to request features. It's an opportunity to give your input.

I get your point that they could store the data but honestly it takes so little time to fill it in, I don't see why it's such an annoyance for some. You're getting a lot of advanced software for very little effort.

Justin Jackson

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 10:18 pm

At least 15 times.. hell.. if you did a word count.. probably 100 times or more. Still not the point.. :D

That this thread has carried on this long is unreal to me. I have posted or responded to other threads that I feel should have gotten a lot more attention haha. Funny what we all feel we gotta dig in on. Me included.

Martin Schitter

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Mark Sterne wrote:The amount of time you've spent repeating your point at length would probably have been enough to fill out the download form about 15 times... just sayin'.

yes -- but that's not the only serious problem of this kind of fill out forms.

i consciously do not fill in correct data in this kind of online fill out forms because of privacy and spam protection concerns.

even in those cases, where i really like the other side, have some trust in their commitment for data protection etc., i still see the problem, that all web sites are in danger to get get hacked sooner or later and the conquered date gets misused by someone else -- that's at least my very sad experience after a few decades working in this businesses...

it's therefore the most consequent protection against this risk, to simply do not collect unnecessary data at all resp. fill in some kind of stupid random data!

and i really speak of "unnecessary" data, because BMD can anyway collect enough useful statistical information about the actual customers by just analyzing the download servers log records, without any stupid fill out form.

and this would allow also very simple perma-links and download checksums, which would be very handy in practice.

Byron Dickens

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 1:57 am

Mark Sterne wrote:
Justin Jackson wrote:My point is and has been...

The amount of time you've spent repeating your point at length would probably have been enough to fill out the download form about 15 times... just sayin'.

The "what features would you like to see" field can be used to request features. It's an opportunity to give your input.

I get your point that they could store the data but honestly it takes so little time to fill it in, I don't see why it's such an annoyance for some. You're getting a lot of advanced software for very little effort.

+1000

Absolutely pales in comparison to what I have to go through at work. Besides HR losing paperwork all the time, I have at least five different logins I have to use over and over all day long because you automatically get logged off. And I'm just fixing cars for AT&T as a subcontractor. When I worked for a MAJOR DEFENSE CONTRACTOR , doing stuff I can't even talk about, I had ONE login.

You [OP] don't know NOTHIN' about the frustration of re-entering the same information over and over for no good purpose!

As far as spam, I've gotten exactly two emails from BMD. One when I joined the forum and one when they announced the beta for v15.

Return to DaVinci Resolve