Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Applying stabilization only to one axis, possible?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Joshua Morin

Applying stabilization only to one axis, possible?

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 9:25 pm

I have a clip where I have tracked. I applied Match Move and BG only. The stabilization works fantastically, but I would like to apply the stabilization only to the X axis. Is that possible?
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M, 8Gb
MacOs Monterey

Bryan Ray

Re: Applying stabilization only to one axis, possible?

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 10:03 pm

Assuming you haven't set Trackers to create XY paths in the preferences, you'll need to convert the displacement path into separate X- and Y-splines. To do that, right-click in the Viewer, point to the Path:Polyline item at the bottom of the window, and choose Convert to XY Path. If you have more than one tracker in the node, you'll need to do this for each one.

Switch to the Spline View, and you'll see that the Tracker now has both X and Y path splines. You can simply delete the keyframes for the axis you don't want to stabilize on.

I suggest you make a copy of your Tracker before you do this, just in case you later decide you want some or all of that data back.

Occasionally, the conversion to an XY path becomes corrupted. This will manifest as a very strange-looking spline in the Spline View and keyframe anchors in the Viewer that don't look they follow the feature properly. If this happens, you can usually fix it with and Undo and repeating the procedure.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Joshua Morin

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:Assuming you haven't set Trackers to create XY paths in the preferences, you'll need to convert the displacement path into separate X- and Y-splines. To do that, right-click in the Viewer, point to the Path:Polyline item at the bottom of the window, and choose Convert to XY Path. If you have more than one tracker in the node, you'll need to do this for each one.

Switch to the Spline View, and you'll see that the Tracker now has both X and Y path splines. You can simply delete the keyframes for the axis you don't want to stabilize on.

I suggest you make a copy of your Tracker before you do this, just in case you later decide you want some or all of that data back.

Occasionally, the conversion to an XY path becomes corrupted. This will manifest as a very strange-looking spline in the Spline View and keyframe anchors in the Viewer that don't look they follow the feature properly. If this happens, you can usually fix it with and Undo and repeating the procedure.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this Brian. I very much appreciate it. I will try this right now...
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

Ivan Ivanov

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Or you can go the not so elegant but still working way of manually editing the tracker path points in the way you like.
Just select all path points in the viewer, press shift and B to activate a shape box and drag the central top or bottom handle to squash the path into a horizontal line, this way the tracker will stabilze only the motion in the X axis.
You can also do that by selecting all points and use shift + E to bring the dialog window for editing the points and enter a random coordinate like 0.5 for Y value.

Joshua Morin

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 10:17 pm

I also apologize for misspelling your name. Bryan, thank you.
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

Joshua Morin

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 10:18 pm

Ivan Ivanov wrote:Or you can go the not so elegant but still working way of manually editing the tracker path points in the way you like.
Just select all path points in the viewer, press shift and B to activate a shape box and drag the central top or bottom handle to squash the path into a horizontal line, this way the tracker will stabilze only the motion in the X axis.
You can also do that by selecting all points and use shift + E to bring the dialog window for editing the points and enter a random coordinate like 0.5 for Y value.

Thanks so much!
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

Bryan Ray

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Ivan Ivanov wrote:You can also do that by selecting all points and use shift + E to bring the dialog window for editing the points and enter a random coordinate like 0.5 for Y value.

I didn't know about that one! Thanks!
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Ivan Ivanov

PostSat Jul 07, 2018 9:30 am

Bryan Ray wrote:
I didn't know about that one! Thanks!

And thank you for your numerous tips and tricks as well, very helpful 8-)

Return to Fusion