No metadata in Premiere still?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jakemccurdy

No metadata in Premiere still?

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 9:05 pm

Is there any workaround to get metadata entered in camera to appear in Premiere? I've searched the forums and this question goes back years. We shot all weekend on a 4.6K mini and now have a massive amount of clips that we labeled with shot and take numbers (over 300) that we will have to manually re-enter from paper notes if we can't get the metadata to show up. Firmware 4.0, Premiere CC 2015.

timbutt2

Re: No metadata in Premiere still?

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 12:33 am

No,but RED metadata slate also doesn't work with Premiere so it's an Adobe issue. May I suggest editing in DaVinci Resolve? All the metadata from the URSA Mini 4.6K is read by Resolve. And, Resolve is a very good editing software these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Michael Odhiambo

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Editing only on top specked machines. With very fast storage. No USB portable drives. Not ideal for road warriors editing on a 3 year old laptop. Or am I doing something wrong too?

I have standard bus powered drives (For ease of travel & cost) and a 2013 specked out MBPro. I can't get smooth editing on DR. Very choppy at best, and thats just previewing the clips. I still use premiere and XML (Which is a nightmare with sony xavc s and mixed frame rates)

jakemccurdy

PostSun Nov 27, 2016 4:19 am

I'd love to have editors working on resolve, especially since it's free. Unfortunately you can't hire freelancers or editors in most markets that have much experience cutting on resolve. Plenty of colorists, but muli-camera editors, not so much. I'll start a write in campaign to Adobe to fix this issue in a separate post. Perhaps they'll listen, perhaps not as they'll see resolve as a competitor.

timbutt2

PostSun Nov 27, 2016 3:49 pm

jakemccurdy wrote:I'd love to have editors working on resolve, especially since it's free. Unfortunately you can't hire freelancers or editors in most markets that have much experience cutting on resolve. Plenty of colorists, but muli-camera editors, not so much. I'll start a write in campaign to Adobe to fix this issue in a separate post. Perhaps they'll listen, perhaps not as they'll see resolve as a competitor.

Yes, Resolve is competition. However, Adobe should listen to work with Blackmagic Design to work with the cameras and the metadata that comes from the cameras inside Premiere. I'll also submit a request. If enough of us submit requests then they should make it a priority.

I still find it amazing that Adobe doesn't work as well with CinemaDNG considering that they were the ones who created the DNG codec. It's embarrassing, really. Blackmagic is doing a far better job of working with CinemaDNG files in Resolve than Premiere is. I feel as though the Resolve 13 update next year will be the final update to make many people switch. 12.5 was a huge one this year, and for the most part I'm primarily editing in Resolve these days. The only thing that I still have issues with is keyboard shortcuts, and a few tools that I'm used to in Premiere that are different in Resolve.

Since the free version of Resolve is so powerful I can see it becoming the perfect tool for beginners. That will lead to those editors being completely familiar with Resolve over Premiere. It will lead to the upgrade to the paid version as a natural progression of an editor.

There are a few areas that I still need Resolve to improve upon. One, the Project File needs to be like Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, and Avid in that it is easily accessible through the Finder. This way you can easily keep it in the project folder with all the other project assets. Then you could duplicate it, change the date on the duplicated file, and move the old one into an "old" directory in order to archive your project files. This helps you never lose progress and you can always go back to an old edit. Also, this method of storing the project file in the same directory as the project directory allows you to share the project with others and keep a good hierarchy. This is how I've worked for over a decade.

We'll have to wait and see what 2017 brings for both Resolve and Premiere. The key is to submit the update requests.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Drew Lahat

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Nothing new on this front, is it? I mostly work with Sony and Canon footage, but this is getting ridiculous...

Adobe switched to UserVoice for feature requests, so please chime in there:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forum ... a-metadata

Return to Post Production