Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

resolution changes after restart

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

resolution changes after restart

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 am

lately, when i save, close and later on reopen a project, some of my backgrounds/masks seems to reset to the default resolution (in my case 1920x1080). which changes the end result drastically. it's pretty random, sometimes fusion just decides to apply this on different nodes, sometimes not. pretty weird. Am i missing a ''never do this'' checkbox?

this also happens in resolve by the way.

JP Docherty

Re: resolution changes after restart

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 12:28 pm

This can happen a number of ways, notably when the default resolution differs from the point in the flow where the mask is used. A way to stop it is to define the resolution of the mask node explicitly, using the "Custom" option under the "Image" tab in the mask node itself - I tend to do this as a habit just to be safe. Then when the comp is written and read back the mask keeps the defined resolution.

If you have a number of mask nodes feeding into each other you only have to do this for the first node (the one furthest from the merge or whatever) and the rest pick it up.

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 9:24 pm

I feel it shouldn't happen though. If it is working interactively in your comp, it should be working when you reload the comp. I haven't been able to reliably reproduce this, so I haven't filed an official bug report on it yet, but it has caused some pretty intense head scratching in the past.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

JP Docherty

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 7:10 am

Totally agree, it shouldn't happen. Or if it does happen then it should also happen in the interactive mode before you save the comp, so at least you know it's an issue.

But as I've been boned by it so many times I have developed the habit of locking down the mask resolution as per my post above. And because it's not difficult to do this I haven't really spent much effort on coming up with a reproducible example comp for a bug report, my bad I know . . .

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm

The order in which nodes render is non-deterministic. Meaning a request for a mask output could come from multiple inputs, or even multiple times. Since masks determine their size from the request, they could change sizes in unpredictable ways.

This bug was reported in late 2005.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion