Best method for lowering red saturation

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Duke Sweden

Best method for lowering red saturation

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 3:47 pm

90% of the time that I spend on post is dealing with oversaturated reds. I shoot in V Log. When I bring the clips into Resolve, I will do color correction, adjust contrast and color saturation. By the time I get the saturation at a nice point, my reds, most notable in my skin tones, is too saturated. I then have to spend copious minutes tweaking this setting or that, which affects the red level in the whole clip, naturally.

Outside of qualifying my skin (which is a bitch with my beard and all) is there a tool in Resolve for raising or lowering strictly the red, blue or green levels without affecting too much of the rest of the image?

Jean Claude

Re: Best method for lowering red saturation

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Duke Sweden wrote:90% of the time that I spend on post is dealing with oversaturated reds. I shoot in V Log. When I bring the clips into Resolve, I will do color correction, adjust contrast and color saturation. By the time I get the saturation at a nice point, my reds, most notable in my skin tones, is too saturated. I then have to spend copious minutes tweaking this setting or that, which affects the red level in the whole clip, naturally.

Outside of qualifying my skin (which is a bitch with my beard and all) is there a tool in Resolve for raising or lowering strictly the red, blue or green levels without affecting too much of the rest of the image?

Hello,

You do not tell us :
OS?
Version?

Signature ?
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69837 ?

if you have a BMD card and a calibrated screen connected to this card.
Informations?

source? Format? Codec?
etc....

Merci :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Duke Sweden wrote:Outside of qualifying my skin (which is a bitch with my beard and all) is there a tool in Resolve for raising or lowering strictly the red, blue or green levels without affecting too much of the rest of the image?

For more targeted saturation control, check out the Hue vs Sat curves. There you can target just the reds saturation and control the falloff to the surrounding colors.
The X vs Y curves are resolves hidden in plain sight diamonds. Use them absolutely all the time to finetune my looks. Also looooooove Hue vs Lum (in DR >14. Before it was hard to tame and prevent artefacts)
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Duke Sweden

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:
Duke Sweden wrote:Outside of qualifying my skin (which is a bitch with my beard and all) is there a tool in Resolve for raising or lowering strictly the red, blue or green levels without affecting too much of the rest of the image?

For more targeted saturation control, check out the Hue vs Sat curves. There you can target just the reds saturation and control the falloff to the surrounding colors.
The X vs Y curves are resolves hidden in plain sight diamonds. Use them absolutely all the time to finetune my looks. Also looooooove Hue vs Lum (in DR >14. Before it was hard to tame and prevent artefacts)

Yes, that's two votes for hue vs. sat (I asked in Creative Cow and Reddit too). I've used this method but I have a feeling I'm not using it correctly. Think I'll check out some tutorials. Thanks!

Dermot Shane

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 pm

it's easy to create artifacts with the -vs- curves, i tread carefully

another option is to bypass Ch2 & 3, leaving R (channel 1) only, then de-sat, affects red only

Howard Roll

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 9:40 pm

In the Hue Vs. Sat tab the colors may not be where you think they are on the curve panel. If you want to select red, click the red circle at the bottom of the window. If you want to select the actual skin tone select it in the viewer window and the points will populate on the graph. You don't need to qualify it as it is already a form of qualification.

Good Luck

Duke Sweden

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 am

Hey thanks to everybody else that responded. I wasn't notified. Cheers!

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 4:32 am

If color become over saturated, your doing something wrong IMHO.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 4:38 am

I occasionally run into a shot with (say) bright neon in the background or flashing police car lights, but the shot otherwise looks great. If those specific lights are out of gamut for Rec709, one trick I use is the Gamut Mapping plug in, which I drop down to about .92 or .95 for Saturation. It's pretty good at targeting only the stuff that's getting into illegal areas, but it seems to react a little cleaner than just a curve. Worst-case, I'd qualify a soft key (possibly with a tracking) and bring it down that way.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 6:52 am

i've been using Paul Dore's filmgrade OFX lately,

it offers control of exposure / contrast/ saturation per channel... easy to dial down sat per channel

Return to DaVinci Resolve