How do you mark selects when going through source footage?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sacherjj

How do you mark selects when going through source footage?

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 pm

I've used Resolve to cut some short pieces that only have 1-3 hours of source footage and a final runtime of 3-5 minutes. This isn't too bad, but starts to get to where organization can be really needed.

I'm looking at cutting a feature length in Resolve and have over 100 hours of source footage. I have this in scene based bins, but still may have 100 clips.

I'm trying to figure out how people do selects when reviewing footage. This is the best method I've found, and looking for improvements or existing features in Resolve that I'm missing.

1 - Watch clips and if there is just one usable section, mark in and out. If there are multiple possible scenes, I mark in/out and convert to Duration. (I've mapped Ctrl+Alt+D to the Mark -> Convert In and Out to Duration). I'm starting to map a duration for single clips for the list view to use the data I can store in a duration (more below).

2 - Double click duration (wish there was a way to go into this edit screen like when you double hit 'M' for making a marker.) This allows you to give it a label and notes. And more important, color Green, Yellow, or Red.

3 - Flag the Clip with Green, Yellow or Red. Green is great (has green duration or in/out that is great). Yellow is OK if I don't find better. Red is a clip that I'm not removing, but only used if I have to cover an angle and have nothing else.

I can rename clips that are more descriptive, but this is still a visible sorting by color. I can't find any way of filtering by flag color.

In list view, the durations are listed with the name. This is really great. You can also drag these directly into timeline. This saves the time I was using to double click the clip. Converting duration to in/out and then dragging in.

The problem is that in list view, you don't have the color coding information. This would be a great addition to the list view.

Anyhow, this is a workable workflow, but not ideal. I'm trying to optimize before I go through the process of watching and marking/annotating the source footage.

Anyone do something different that works well for you?
See any improvements to what I'm doing?
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 15 Studio
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Asrock x370 Tachi
32GB DDR4 @ 3200
GTX 1060 6GB
BM Intensity Pro 4k

sacherjj

Re: How do you mark selects when going through source footag

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Just noticed that 'Filter By' All Fields allows Green or Yellow and filters the clip flags. That is useful.
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 15 Studio
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Asrock x370 Tachi
32GB DDR4 @ 3200
GTX 1060 6GB
BM Intensity Pro 4k

John Paines

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 1:15 pm

The obvious question is, why not use subclips which, unlike duration markers, can be tagged and sorted by unique metadata and bins? Some of this you can do with markers, but it's usually more trouble.

sacherjj

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 1:24 pm

I started not using them, when I didn't realize you could extend the ends. I thought I would have to select wider than I thought I needed, just in case.

Now that I know you can move them into an editable extents, then this makes sense. I had filtered them out of usable workflow too early in my learning process.

Do most keep a "Used" bin for long footage that has been processed and replaced with the subclip versions?
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 15 Studio
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Asrock x370 Tachi
32GB DDR4 @ 3200
GTX 1060 6GB
BM Intensity Pro 4k

Return to DaVinci Resolve