14b7 - *.mts (panasonic AVCHD) still without audio.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Thom Guida

Re: 14b7 - *.mts (panasonic AVCHD) still without audio.

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 12:02 am

Mark Grgurev wrote:
John Paines wrote:This is Windows, after all. "Upgrades" often don't go well. Also, privacy concerns with 10.

I've heard so many people say this but I've really never had problems upgrading Windows. Just makes me think people don't know what they're doing.

Said no one ever till it happens to them. A "piss poor release" from MS, pretty much put them on top. Let us use an analogy: "'Better to do and ask forgiveness than to ask permission'"; the MS version, Better to release and beat our competitors than to lose market share - we'll roll-out HOTFIXES as necessary.

As with many things (companies, management decision makers), their *MS* "Risk Management" area assesses the downside vs upside with their crafted algorithms, then pulls the trigger or not.

My IT $.02 says a best practice would be, do NOT upgrade(s) software or hardware, manually or automatically if you are in a valuable project - just complete it. Even having taken the precaution of a backup, archive, "restore" etc., will be a creative distraction and cost you valuable time you need or could be better invested.
RSD v.18.04, BMD KB & Micro Panel
Win10 Pro V21H1 OS build 19043.1889
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB
IntelNicI211 12.15.180.0/Aquantia 10TbNic
C:\Sam980 Pro NvMe 2TB on ASRock x570 Taichi MB v3.0; QNAP Cache 2TB NVMe Raid6 42TB.

AttilaB

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 am

We have a brand new workstation (HP, factory installed W10, 1803 version) no chance for back. The BM Resolve Studio intalled in BM dealer/support center and not working with .MTS files.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 5:33 am

Please download and install 15b5. It has a fix for the Windows 10 1803 AC3 audio issue.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

jsrivard

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Please download and install 15b5. It has a fix for the Windows 10 1803 AC3 audio issue.

Just updated to 1803 and then upgraded to 15b5 and I can confirm audio is now working for my AVCHD files. Thank you Blackmagicdesign!

AttilaB

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks! Working fine.

Michel Sterling

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 3:00 pm

When Rel.15.0b5 was announced, I replaced the deffective Rel. 14.3 with it and got AC3 audio working fine !

Helas, that didn't last very long; When I reopened the project containing the fixed audio track, it got mute and I never managed to restore the sound track. The problem is different than the previous one (audio waveform is visible, but even the prescan of the clip is mute). Audio works fine outside of Da Vinci Resolve. I had both DELL and Microsoft look at the problem. Since the computer is new, they accepted - relunctantly- to assist , ran their diagnostics but could not find any fault in Windows nor in the HW set up :

Needless to say, I have tried all tricks that I can think of, including :
I have already re-installed Rel 15.0b5
I have tried Da Vinci Resolve most recent Rel 15.0b6,
I have reinstalled the Realteck audio driver
I have tried external speakers
I have created a DVR project with only an audio track on the time line.
I have check the sample rate - 48 KHz - for AC3 audio track,

Can anybody think of something else that I can try to fix this new problem ?
Many thanks,
Dell XPS 15 - Intel i7-7700HQ CPU @2.80 GHz - 16 Gb RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 GPU w/4 Gb
Win 10 Home x64 bits. ver 1803 14-May-2018

Jean Claude

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Michel Sterling wrote:When Rel.15.0b5 was announced, I replaced the deffective Rel. 14.3 with it and got AC3 audio working fine !

Helas, that didn't last very long; When I reopened the project containing the fixed audio track, it got mute and I never managed to restore the sound track. The problem is different than the previous one (audio waveform is visible, but even the prescan of the clip is mute). Audio works fine outside of Da Vinci Resolve. I had both DELL and Microsoft look at the problem. Since the computer is new, they accepted - relunctantly- to assist , ran their diagnostics but could not find any fault in Windows nor in the HW set up :

Needless to say, I have tried all tricks that I can think of, including :
I have already re-installed Rel 15.0b5
I have tried Da Vinci Resolve most recent Rel 15.0b6,
I have reinstalled the Realteck audio driver
I have tried external speakers
I have created a DVR project with only an audio track on the time line.
I have check the sample rate - 48 KHz - for AC3 audio track,

Can anybody think of something else that I can try to fix this new problem ?
Many thanks,

Hello,

Windows Control Panel => Hardware and AUDIO => Sound:
How is the sound card configured? This is the default device?

Post screen captures your configuration and also the control panel of Davinci Resolve.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Cary Knoop

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 5:07 pm

From a workflow perspective I would avoid working directly with AVCHD.
I would convert the audio to wav and remux the new audio and video stream to mp4.

Resolve will handle this without any problems.

Michel Sterling

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 pm

Interesting suggestion ! Could you tell me why - in your opinion - one of the most popular video formats should not considered when using Resolve ?
Dell XPS 15 - Intel i7-7700HQ CPU @2.80 GHz - 16 Gb RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 GPU w/4 Gb
Win 10 Home x64 bits. ver 1803 14-May-2018

ejpontius

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Michel Sterling wrote:Interesting suggestion ! Could you tell me why - in your opinion - one of the most popular video formats should not considered when using Resolve ?

There is added processing overhead. Resolve and the system have to spend additional resources decoding the footage to play it and work with it and avoid issues. This isn't unique to Resolve.

Better off transcoding h.264 and AVCHD footage you are working with to a format such as Proress or DNxHD/DNxHR.

RCModelReviews

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 10:18 pm

The problem with transcoding is that it adds quite a significant extra step to the workflow when you're dealing with non-studio-quality footage (such as that uploaded to YouTube).

Many other NLEs cope with AVCHD and other H264 formats quite competently so although I understand that Resolve is not targeted at that market, I really think that handling AVCHD/MP4 files is a very important feature these days for any NLE.

I've chose Resolve as my NLE despite the issues with H264 because of its other many strengths and I'm pretty sure that if concessions were made to the group who find this codec more than adequate for their needs, a much greater market share could be had for the product. And, even though I'm just editing for YouTube, I'm still laying out my $300 because I believe in paying for the tools I use -- and many others in this community have similar ethics.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Cary Knoop

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 pm

Michel Sterling wrote:Interesting suggestion ! Could you tell me why - in your opinion - one of the most popular video formats should not considered when using Resolve ?

I am talking from a practical perspective.

I believe that remuxing the video (or transcoding) and converting the audio to wav format will make your life easier.

Al Spaeth

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 9:09 am

RCModelReviews wrote:The problem with transcoding is that it adds quite a significant extra step to the workflow when you're dealing with non-studio-quality footage (such as that uploaded to YouTube).

Many other NLEs cope with AVCHD and other H264 formats quite competently so although I understand that Resolve is not targeted at that market, I really think that handling AVCHD/MP4 files is a very important feature these days for any NLE.

I've chose Resolve as my NLE despite the issues with H264 because of its other many strengths and I'm pretty sure that if concessions were made to the group who find this codec more than adequate for their needs, a much greater market share could be had for the product. And, even though I'm just editing for YouTube, I'm still laying out my $300 because I believe in paying for the tools I use -- and many others in this community have similar ethics.

+1 :)
Resolve 15.3 free Win 10 64bit
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve