Remote Controller for HyperDeck Studio Minis / Duplicator 4K

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

BeanBean

Remote Controller for HyperDeck Studio Minis / Duplicator 4K

PostSun Jul 29, 2018 4:27 pm

I'm going to have a setup where I'll be recording on to three HyperDeck Studio Minis as well as three Duplicator 4Ks. There would only be a total of three feeds recording, so anytime Mini A is recording, Duplicator A would also be recording, and so on.

They'll all be in a rack in a server room, so I naturally don't want to have to run in there to hit record. I know there are PC based controllers I've seen, and I do want to use something like that, but I was also wondering if anyone could help direct me towards a physical controller solution. I'll ultimately have less-skilled employees handling the recording process, so a physical device is a preferable option versus the software-based controllers.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about remote controlling these devices or how to use RS-422 ports/devices. Any tips are appreciated.

Xtreemtec

Re: Remote Controller for HyperDeck Studio Minis / Duplicato

PostMon Jul 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Take a look at Hyperdeck Control Panel software >> http://hyperdeck.iamjeffamato.com/

You can start several hyperdecks at once to record with the SYNC option. ;)

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jack Fairley

PostMon Jul 30, 2018 6:01 pm

I suppose you could use physical deck controllers with RS-422 connection, but HCP works for me too.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

BeanBean

PostMon Jul 30, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm absolutely going to use HCP for my own workflow.

I just feel like, for the purposes of having a lower level employee handle recording, a physical controller gives an increased level of foolproofing and response that is probably worth it for me being comfortable with an employee handling the task.

xrlance

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 11:15 pm

Is @xtreemtec still alive? his web based hyperdeck controller looks very interesting but since 2013 he's put up a paywall, no trial, and no dates on his website to even know if the code is maintained. I tried to talk to a couple hyperdecks with netcat with no luck. Tried different software releases (5.3, 6.0). Wrote a tcp client program to get more info and the hd accepts the connection but then refuses all further commands. Doesnt' even reply to the connect request.
Maybe bmd dropped support for this and would hate to spend $40 at a ghosted web portal.

If anyone knows of a working code example or script example that would be great too. I have limited skills but only if I can prove that the hd still supports this protocol. Thanks.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 am

Lance, It is not my software.. It is from Jeff Amato.

The Hyperdecks are controllable with a Telnet connection. There are several people that have wrote an implementation now.

But it will only allow 1 connection at a time.. So if you connect your hyperdeck to the Atem it will refuse all other connections. ;)

There is a good section in the manual on how to interface with the Hyperdecks.
You even should get a refuse connection error if you have more then 1 connection open.. So i guess you might want to check if you have other issues like incompatible ip ranges, subnets, etc etc..

See from page 60. https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started