Extending a fusion clip (changing length)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nitram

Extending a fusion clip (changing length)

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 12:16 pm

I have created a fusion clip with a short text animation that should be used as intro.

This fusion clip is 10 sec long. Now I would like to add some more text animation. For this the original fusion clip needs to be 5 sec longer. I do not find a way to do that. Is it really not possible to changing length of an existing fusion clip?

I looked for adjustments allowing me to change the duration time from 10 to 15 sec. Did not find something.
I tried to simply expand the fusion clip in the edit tab – it does not work.
Then I tried to create a new fusion clip 15 sec long and then copy all the nodes from the old one in it. Copying is possible, but after 10 sec screen gets black (and the nodes sine up in red, indicating something wrong)

Any suggestion how to solve or work around this?

Thanks
Martin

xunile

Re: Extending a fusion clip (changing length)

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 6:34 pm

If you copy nodes they will retain the length of the original clip. You have to click on the Keyframes button in the Fusion tab and change the duration of each node from there.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

nitram

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks Eric for that information!

But I am not able to worke out how do that: Using Resolve 15.0.0B.065, when I activate the Keyframes window in the Fusion tab I see the bars for all the nodes I have created. And off course I see their length (number of frames). By left click on a particular bar (node) I can use a slider to shorten the bar (= length of the node?) from either the right or the left side, but not extend it.

So, I tried the different options I get by a right click on the bar or on the name of the node. But I can not find a field with the time value or number of frames. Number of frames are to be seen in the Metadata window, but no way to change this.

Finally, there is a small button right under all the bars in the Keyframes window, offering “time”, “T-Offset”, “T-Scale”. Towards the right hand of it is a blank field/space, but you can not type a value in here.

So, I may have overlooked the correct option for the change of the duration or I may have searched at the wrong place.

Thanks, Martin

Adam Prest

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 1:18 am

I am also looking for a way to extend a fusion clip. I have not found a solution yet.

xunile

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 am

Here is a video on how to change the length of a fusion clip.
[url]
[/url]

JoelMacKenzie

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 12:29 am

I tried the two methods, but I'm still not able to extend the length. Right clicking on the clip and selecting "change clip duration" did nothing. Creating a new clip and copy and pasting the nodes doesn't work either. I'm not able to paste anything. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Peter Cave

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 am

Right click fusion clip on Edit timeline and select 'Open in Timeline'.
Extend clip/clips to desired length.
Go back to main timeline by double clicking Timeline in the path displayed below the timeline.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.16.43 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.16.43 pm.png (283.22 KiB) Viewed 36391 times

Extend the fusion clip on the main timeline.

Works fine mostly, but I did have some weird glitches and hangs when using the fusion Text+ effect.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Nery89

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 4:31 pm

All the above are partially correct solutions: the correct answer (i tested in davinci 16) is to resize in timeline tab the fusion composition, then, as said, go to fusion tab and...

foreach tool you have to open keyframes tab, select time stretch icon, and stretch the bar. see attached picture :shock:

if you do it right all the animation (and looped animation too) will work as intended
Attachments
how to change fusion composition length.jpg
how to change fusion composition length
how to change fusion composition length.jpg (211.23 KiB) Viewed 34954 times
Acer aspire A715-71G, 12Gb RAM, intel core i5 7300 HQ, nvidia GTX 1050

bounceHouse

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 5:47 am

To add to Nery89's answer...
I also had to make sure that in the Keyframes "three dots" menu (at the upper right of the keyframes area), "Show Tools at Current Time" was NOT checked.

Before I did this, when I came into the Fusion tab it looked like all the time bars had already extended out to the new clip length. After I unchecked it, several more bars (including media out) appeared for me to extend.
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 19b1 build

AntiBeast

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 10:04 am

Wow, all of the replies here are irritatingly wrong, no offense folks.

Here's the real fix

I realized that the png files I loaded before I changed the composition duration still had their durations set to 119 frames. Select the node where your image file resides, open the inspector and change the "global out" to the maximum duration.

This will no doubt fix the issue for nearly everyone who visits this thread if they are patient enough to sift through the wrong replies.

bounceHouse

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 4:44 pm

@AntiBeast, Hmm. Your confidence does not do you justice. I agree that sometimes what you describe works. However I have also observed the issues posted above unfixed by what you describe. So I encourage readers to check multiple approaches until they get their project working as desired.
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 19b1 build

fredsvard

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 1:28 pm

Why are basic things like this so incredibly convoluted? Do people really know beforehand exactly how long a fusion clip should be and what it should contain? I changed the speed of a clip in fusion and now I need to extend the fusion clip to accomodate the clip and I'm stuck.

jelanmaxwell

PostWed May 12, 2021 2:55 am

@AntiBeast The issue here is extending entire fusion clips, to add more frames, not extending nodes within a clip.

Just adding onto this thread as yea this is incredibly difficult for what one would think is a simple task. I'm unable to find an answer still.

AntoniusFM

PostWed May 26, 2021 5:20 am

Same problem here (using DR 17.2), i am just unable to create a Fusion Composition longer then 119 frames. I have tried all of the above, it just doesn't let me ???

xunile

PostWed May 26, 2021 4:19 pm

Maybe if you supplied more information we could possibly help. How are you creating the Fusion comp? Are you dragging a Fusion Comp from the Effects toolbox on the Edit Page onto the Timeline? Are you using an Adjustment clip? Are you right-clicking on a video clip and choosing Open In Fusion Page? Can you make a screen recording of your issue or maybe paste some screenshots?

Sergey Mirontsev

PostWed May 26, 2021 6:03 pm

For Background nodes add a
Code: Select all
self.GlobalOut = comp.RenderEnd
line to the Frame Render Script section. For MediaIn nodes, also add the
Code: Select all
self.HoldLastFrame = comp.RenderEnd
line.
Attachments
2021-05-26_21-01-02.png
2021-05-26_21-01-02.png (74.06 KiB) Viewed 25838 times
Blackmagic Design Certified Master Trainer

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (Samyang 12mm Cine, 35mm Cine)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.4.0007
Speed Editor 1.4.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H1, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb (471.68 Studio)

maxen13126

PostWed Aug 18, 2021 7:04 am

I experienced, that this problem only occurs when you open a clip in the FusionTab and add nodes to it. You can then extend the loaders duration, but the nodes length can't be extended.
Instead generate a new, empty FusionComp an then add your loaders an nodes there. You can then extend everything as you like. So the simpelst way to resolve (pun, haha!) your issue would be to copy all your nodes and paste them into a new FusionComp.

ddaedalus

PostSun Dec 26, 2021 12:51 pm

I was having this issue also. On the Editor tab, the content of a Fusion Comp would end prior to the Fusion Comp that housed that content ending. I tried changing the clip duration but it wouldn't work.

Additionally, this comp was resulting in a black non-alpha channel at the point where the media within the comp ended.

To solve this:

Open the Fusion tab, and look in the Keyframes window (see pic).
MediaOut is red where the clip ends, but the Fusion Comp continues. However, you can't drag/pull the MediaOut layer in the Keyframe window. First, drag/pull the MediaIn layer, and then you can drag/pull the MediaOut layer.

This should allow you to make the Fusion Comp longer (drag/pull the Media In layer's duration to the right)
Attachments
Fusion Comp duration problem.png
Fusion Comp duration problem.png (711.54 KiB) Viewed 21715 times
DHPD

SaltSaltSalty

PostSun Mar 20, 2022 8:57 pm

maxen13126 wrote:I experienced, that this problem only occurs when you open a clip in the FusionTab and add nodes to it. You can then extend the loaders duration, but the nodes length can't be extended.
Instead generate a new, empty FusionComp an then add your loaders an nodes there. You can then extend everything as you like. So the simpelst way to resolve (pun, haha!) your issue would be to copy all your nodes and paste them into a new FusionComp.

That solved my issue.
This issue also happens when you are using a generator clip (like solid color) and try to make a comp out of it.
Fixes a lot of headaches.

dedpnda

PostFri May 27, 2022 4:05 pm

If you have media in your fusion.... Right click "change clip" lenght wont work you have to do one more step before.

1. Right click "open in timeline"
2. Right click clips "change clip duration"
go back to original timeline.

This was from a post up by (Peter Cave) Worked for me.
FIXED FOR ME TY Peter
Morgan Mendieta

George Leon

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 11:29 pm

mine was confusing - I'd originally created the Fusion clip from some original clips, and then later realised I only needed MediaIn nodes in the Fusion composition to get them there. However, the original clips (although technically unused) were still on the Fusion Clip's timeline, and they determined the Fusion composition length.

Deleting those clips didn't work, so instead I replaced them with a single Solid Black generator clip of the correct length. that automatically sized the Fusion composition correctly.

maybe not the best approach, but it might at least clear up the cause for someone in a similar boat.

JaredIsham

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 6:28 pm

I had this problem and the solutions were partial fixes for me with a small amount of missing information.

Every situation is a little different but for me I had to go upstream and the beginning of my flow.

I pasted nodes from previous clips that were shorter. I had a PNG file I was compositing into the shot and that image was at the beginning of my flow. I was unable to change the length of any node until I changed the length of that node.

I used the Keyframe window as suggested above and when I adjusted the length of my "originating node" everything else adjusted fine.

That was my fix.
Filmmaker/Director/Editor
www.jaredisham.com

tokintmash

PostThu Mar 09, 2023 12:33 pm

Create a new empty Fusion clip by right click in Media Pool.
Place the new clip in edit page and adjust the length as per your needs.
Then copy/paste all nodes from the shorter clip into the new one.

Dax Roggio

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 4:38 pm

ddaedalus wrote:Open the Fusion tab, and look in the Keyframes window (see pic).

In my case, opening the Keyframes window and extending my MediaIn clips (PNG images) to match the total duration of the Fusion clip was the fix.
No, you probably don’t need a calibrated, non-computer display.

BartReynaard

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 7:41 am

Just use the KeyFrameStretcher just before the MediaOut. That's it.

When yous tretch Fusion COmposition or

Imagecompress it, automatically everything follows accordingly.
Bart
________
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 on Windows 11 Pro 23H2

Prod. Machine: Ryzen 7 64GB 3.54 GHz
Video: MSI GeForce 4060Ti 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x1440 widescreen, 2 x 1920 x 1080 16:9
Audio: Behringer UMC1820
Blackmagic Speed Editor

wzjwzj

PostWed Dec 20, 2023 3:58 pm

Peter Cave wrote:Right click fusion clip on Edit timeline and select 'Open in Timeline'.
Extend clip/clips to desired length.
Go back to main timeline by double clicking Timeline in the path displayed below the timeline.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.16.43 pm.png

Extend the fusion clip on the main timeline.

Works fine mostly, but I did have some weird glitches and hangs when using the fusion Text+ effect.
Awesome, this is the answer I've been looking for all along.

SandroSchreiber

PostWed Dec 27, 2023 9:31 am

Somehow the answer seems to be different in each case and you have to be very specific in describing your problem. The solutions mentioned above have not worked for me. I selected "New Fusion Composition" directly in the Media Pool and made my animation. Originally I chose a length of 10s, but the animation only lasted 6s in the end, so I wanted to shorten the composition to this length.
"Change Clip Duration" doesn't work because it only changes the length of the clip and not the length of the composition in the Media Pool. "Open in Timeline" is not available with this variant.
What has worked for me is the following:
1. drag the composition into the timeline
2. trim the length as you would trim a video clip
3. drag the Fusion clip from the timeline back into the Media Pool, this generates a copy of the composition with the new length
4. delete the old composition in the media pool

Maybe I'm missing something, but these workarounds all seem pretty cumbersome to me. Why is there no "Change Composition Duration" option in the context menu in the Media Pool? That would be the most logical place for me.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 23H2
GeForce RTX4090 (552.22 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

maarten

PostSun Jan 21, 2024 2:36 pm

For everybody coming across this thread in the future;

I was struggling with this issue for a long time and all the above didn't help for me.

I'm surprised to see the following isn't said (or I have missed it, sorry if I did), but what helped me today from somebody who helped me with this on discord:

There are TWO things:
- Fusion CLIPS
- Fusion COMPOSITIONS

I never knew both existed and thought everything fusion was always a Fusion CLIP. But obviously it is not. And both work differently.

Fusion CLIPS (normally) use the media coming from the timeline and have a fixed length depended on the length of the content.

Fusion COMPOSITIONS (which you create in the Media panel by rightclicking and choosing 'New Fusion Composition') are standalone and are easily scalable in the Edit page like you expect them to, by dragging the right part of the clip. If you than re-enter the fusion page it's scaled internally in fusion as well. So these are way more flexible to work with IMO, although they don't automatically get the media from the timeline.

Talking about if all this is intuitive and/or user friendly is a whole other topic which I won't touch here. But at least I know how to do what I'm after now. I don't think I'll ever use Fusion CLIPS again honestly.

Hopefully this helps other people here too. Because for me this was definitely an eye opener and finally an end to the confusion.

SandroSchreiber

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 7:25 am

Hey Maarten,

What happens if you want to use the same fusion composition that you have just extended on a new timeline and drag it from the media pool to the timeline again?
In my case, it then has the same length as originally. Only the instance on the timeline is extended. Have a look at the duration column in the media pool. In this case I drag it back to the media pool as described in my previous post. But I would be happy if there was an easier method I don't know of :)
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 23H2
GeForce RTX4090 (552.22 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

maarten

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 pm

SandroSchreiber wrote:Hey Maarten,
What happens if you want to use the same fusion composition that you have just extended on a new timeline and drag it from the media pool to the timeline again?

I'm sorry, if I could help you I could, but I'm still new to using these compositions too and still find them confusing and I also encountered some bugs while using these too, like fusion comps that were extended, and rendered well one time, while suddenly not extended anymore at a later time (using 18.6) for instance. Also sometimes when rightclicking on them and choose 'show in Fusion Page' something else shows in the fusion page. Which is clearly not why we click on 'show in Fusion Page'.

Also I encountered a few times that dragging an existing fusion comp unto the timeline the contents (nodes) were suddenly different or gone even. That was really confusing and I still don't know what that was.

Honestly it's still mindblowing to me that this whole thing is made so unecesary difficult. Why we don't just get a single Fusion Clip type instead of two methods, which we can just extend, is something I'll probably never understand. This topic alone IMO shows that it's not very intuitive how it is now. [offtopic] But that counts for me for more parts of the software, like the weird basically impossible to use timelines each clip has. I hope it's a matter of time before things gets streamlined a little bit in the UI. Although for the rest I love this software[/offtopic]

So sorry I can't be of any help at this point. Maybe later if I use it more often.

Return to DaVinci Resolve