What BM Hardware would you buy if you just started out?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Manuel Geissinger

What BM Hardware would you buy if you just started out?

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Hey,

I hope some of the older pros can help me with this question:
Considering with all knowledge you have right now and you would start out your recording & post production business right now, what equipment would you buy?

It's for general purpose (mostly low profil) video recording and post production, editing and a little VFX.

Do not count for:
- Resolve
- PC / GPU
- Audio recording / production

If you had $5000:

If you had $10000:

This is so helpful, you would do me a great favour. Looking back at 15 years of my little business, I only I knew... I made so many failed investments in hard- and software.

Thank you so much,
Manuel.

Eric-Jan

Re: What BM Hardware would you buy if you just started out?

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Maybe you should mention with which hard and software you failed ?
also, what are your goals ? field or studio, or both ? your equipment sofar ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Manuel Geissinger

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Maybe you should mention with which hard and software you failed ?
also, what are your goals ? field or studio, or both ? your equipment sofar ?

Mine was more of a hypothetical question. What "failed" me wasn't related to Resolve or video production in general. But when I look back I find it easy to say "oh why did I buy these 5 things, I could have just gotten this one instead and been much better off.." - as this is only possible backwards, I'd like to get the info from people that are working in this area of media production for a decade already.

The goal is as mention general purpose video production, a little field recording, mostly editing and post production. 4k yes, 3D no.

Assume that I have nothing but an awesome PC with awesome Audio and Video Monitors + Resolve Studio.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 1:27 pm

I guess BMD has many (hardware) options to capture material into your computer/software, it all depends how "crazy" you want to go, so there are many options, and depends really onto what you really want, a camera that directly shoots in ProRes or not, would be a start.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Manuel Geissinger

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:I guess BMD has many (hardware) options to capture material into your computer/software, it all depends how "crazy" you want to go, so there are many options, and depends really onto what you really want, a camera that directly shoots in ProRes or not, would be a start.

This wouldn't be my main concern, sure enough I want to be able to shoot some good material if needed. I mainly work for small companies but I don't like to travel, so this is more rare. More often is editing work with some creative aspects, a bit of VFX here and there. I like that - and audio production, which is where I excel (but there's less money to be earned and I got a pretty fleshed out studio by now).

- What would make my workflow and Resolve performance faster other than GPUs and CPUs? Do these BM video cards actually play a role here?
- It seems Resolve is purposely unoptimized in the user interface to make users buy their input controllers / consoles. Do these matter for you?
- Fairlight low latency cards maybe?
- Rather buy into software, plugins and assets, that kind of stuff?

That's what I meant, what would you buy if you had the budget? What would you care about the most? What do you regret buying? Maybe I'm searching for the magic joker here that doesn't exist.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 9:01 pm

At a certain moment i decided to use Davinci Resolve because i did not have to buy the full version to make good use of it, if i had the budget i would invest in the BMD hardware, like the (color grading/correcting) control panels, recorders, the switching en control equipment, it would spare me the trouble trouble keeping up to date with computer equipment, also computer OS GUI's keep changing all the tiime, sorting out new drivers, etc...
There you have it :) maybe a bit general, but in the years that i used computers i learned to hate them, it's okay if your demand is low with computers, but the more you expect and use computers, the harder it gets, and errors occur, in this time you see many functions are taken over by hardware devices, they are often smaller, more robust, blend in with other equipment, and are easy to operate, and have a better form factor.

btw. a large touch screen would be helpfull for creativity, for drawing and dragging objects etc... who needs a mouse or keyboard :)

just my two cents :)

Jack Fairley

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 11:49 pm

Manuel Geissinger wrote:What would make my workflow and Resolve performance faster other than GPUs and CPUs? Do these BM video cards actually play a role here?

It depends what you mean by performance. The BMD cards are only for input/output surface for use with a calibrated monitor.
It seems Resolve is purposely unoptimized in the user interface to make users buy their input controllers / consoles. Do these matter for you?

It's faster to use a control surface with these analog knobs and wheels right in front of you. An artist can do digital painting with a mouse, but a tablet will always be more natural.[/quote]
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Peter Benson

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 6:07 am

Manuel Geissinger wrote:
Eric-Jan wrote:I guess BMD has many (hardware) options to capture material into your computer/software, it all depends how "crazy" you want to go, so there are many options, and depends really onto what you really want, a camera that directly shoots in ProRes or not, would be a start.

This wouldn't be my main concern, sure enough I want to be able to shoot some good material if needed. I mainly work for small companies but I don't like to travel, so this is more rare. More often is editing work with some creative aspects, a bit of VFX here and there. I like that - and audio production, which is where I excel (but there's less money to be earned and I got a pretty fleshed out studio by now).

- What would make my workflow and Resolve performance faster other than GPUs and CPUs? Do these BM video cards actually play a role here?
- It seems Resolve is purposely unoptimized in the user interface to make users buy their input controllers / consoles. Do these matter for you?
- Fairlight low latency cards maybe?
- Rather buy into software, plugins and assets, that kind of stuff?

That's what I meant, what would you buy if you had the budget? What would you care about the most? What do you regret buying? Maybe I'm searching for the magic joker here that doesn't exist.
Since you're great at audio you'd be multi g out if you didn't take a hard look at...

• SOFTUBE Console One mkii hardware/software channel strip plug-in that emulates an SSL 4000E on every possible channel and buss in Resolve, with amazing, easy-to-quickly achieve audio mixing, pricessing and mastering results.

For video/audio acquisition, the upcoming
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k is a no-brainer, considering its cost-to-performance ratio.

• a suitable lens for the above...
• a 3-axis gimbal for steadier shots...
• a RØDE Stereo Mic
• a Zoom H5 handy audio recorder

For low-cost (and only up to 30 frames per second in the progressive recording mode), • Hyperdeck Studio Mini is exciting to have as an A/V mastering recorder or playback device, so long as you have SD cards that write fast enough for it's most demanding CODEC setting(s).

Blackmagic Design
• Web Presenter and its optional
• Terranex Mini Panel for streaming 720P to Web might be a good thing for you too.

[Re]Peter

ResolveStudio 14.3...014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

wolfchen

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 4:57 pm

HDMI 2.1 is the new standard that has many significant advantages. Therefore, I'll probably hold off until HDMI 2.1 ports are added to all my new equipment. 4k TVs will soon have such HDMI ports, as will computers and monitors.

NOTE to Blackmagic designers: When will HDMI 2.1 ports be implemented on all your 4k and above camers? Please post your answer to this important issue...and send me notice of your response.

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 5:32 pm

Get real, HDMI 2.1was just announced last June, let alone implemented yet! Current standard in use is HDMI2.0(a), which supports 4K at 60fps, so is probably the connector being used on the new Pocket Camera. It takes time, normally around a year, for a new to trickle down into actual equipment, sometimes longer. Equipment manufacturing has a considerable lead time for design (based in current available standards) to actual product release, so new products released after a new standard announcement do not have that standard implemented.

BM will no doubt use the new HDMI standard in the next version of the PC4K or perhaps in the next genation of Micro cameras?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

wolfchen

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 6:57 pm

Get with it and update your info bank. HDMI 2.1 is already being implemented in top line TVs. The rest will follow. So rather than being snarky, encourage advancements soon upon us. It's what is known as futureproofing. Also, attempt to make responses that are appropriate for professional sights such as Blackmagic. If one properly reads the purpose of this thread...it wants to know what is desired in updated equipment. Part of that are suggestions for futureproofing.

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:31 pm

I wan not being snarky, only realistic, and trying to show, a recently released standard is not going to “instantly” show up on Pro-Level gear. The new Atomos Ninja V only has HDMI 2.0a imp,emerged, and it is just now being released. By this time next year, the new gear coming out will have the new 2.1 standard. As for csmeras, they are always behind in implementation of new standards, compared to consumer products like TVs. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

wolfchen

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Anticipation...that's what much of art and life in general are about. Add to that a few cold brewskies along the way and even long journeys seem acceptable. As you're aware, the new HDMI 2.1 is such a dramatic improvement that it's a well earned pivot point around rebuilding future gear. Skoal!

Return to Off-Topic