Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Cameras from C4D

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

mikeadamwood

Cameras from C4D

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm trying trying to establish if Fusion replaces After Effects in my pipeline, poor 3D integration and lack of good support and playback of EXR file in AE has led me to this..However I have gotten used to passing cameras backwards and forwards from Cinema4D and AE for compositing 3D renders.

So this was the first thing I tested out after a few basics tutorials...Howeber for the life of me I cannot get camera data from C4D and extract the cameras...I've tried Alembic(which is my prefered), FBX and also exporting a 'digital fusion' file via render output settings, which generates a fusion file with no cameras.

I have object animation coming in but no cameras, and cannot find where there's a way to select them with camera node. A few posts on this forum haven't exactly filled me with confidence on this, I may be missing something but could not find anything but maya/max imports which seems to be well supported within the camera node?

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: Cameras from C4D

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 8:48 pm

I just did a test and the camera came in just fine along with my geometry using Alembic export from C4D.

Did you make sure to make sure all your settings are correct in the C4D export?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 1.47.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 1.47.07 PM.png (87.98 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

mikeadamwood

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks for the reply!

My export settings were correct in C4D, didn't realise there was an Alembic import via file at the top, this did the trick...I was attempting to try and get the cameras directly from the Alembic Mesh node before, it would be cool to know how to do that manualy I guess, if that's even possible after the import..

Anyway I'm noticing a huge misalignment with the render and 3D model, I adjusted the 'angle of view' and it seems to line up...But my OCD is screaming adjusting this manually, is this a common issue with a 'proper' workaround?

mikeadamwood

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 9:23 pm

Sorry to double post but forgot to attach image of alignment issue...

Blue is the rendered output from C4D and the white balls are the imported alembic, I just blended them via merge node to show the problem. Like I said I can manually adjust the angle of view but I don't like the idea of putting this stuff to chance especially within a production. :roll:
Attachments
Fusioncamera_01.JPG
Fusioncamera_01.JPG (148.37 KiB) Viewed 1079 times

Bryan Ray

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 2:34 am

C4D's Angle of View is horizontal, but Fusion's default is vertical. Change that and it should line up.

If not, one user has reported that the camera calibrator tag (whatever that is) is the issue. Details here:
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 82&p=17873
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Frank Feijen

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 11:40 am

Changing the 'resolution film gate' to 'width' (camera settings/film back) seems to do the trick for me.

mikeadamwood

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Awesome thanks guys!

Will test these solutions out when I get home!

Return to Fusion