Timecode into Hyperdeck issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Brad_Smith

Timecode into Hyperdeck issue

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 am

Hello,

i'm having a major issue in which I cannot receive a timecode from an external source into the Hyperdeck for recording/editing purposes as opposed to using the timecode generated from the Hyperdeck itself.

anyone else having a similar problem or can suggest a solution?

Cheers!

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Timecode into Hyperdeck issue

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Hello Brad. You didn't mention which Hyperdeck model. The Hyperdeck Studio Pro has external time code inputs. The other Hyperdeck models need the time code embedded with the SDI input signal. If you do not already have embedded time code, you can use the Teranex Mini Audio to SDI to embed external LTC into the SDI for recording.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Brett Jungbluth

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 9:52 pm

Can you explain the how you are embedding the LTC into the SDI stream that the Hyperdeck Mini is reading? It is the final flaw of an otherwise incredible device that I cannot get time code from the external reference. I would replace every other recording device in my plant if I could get time of day timecode into the Hyperdeck Mini.

What channel of audio do you put LTC on to embedded it to the SDI that other devices would use it from?
Is there a standard for that?

Does it have to be the Teranex? Can I use the mini-converter equivalent?

Thanks ahead of time for any help on this.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 3:48 am

The HyperDeck mini can only read ancillary timecode (embedded in the SDI input signal). It cannot read and process timecode that is included in one of the audio tracks (it will just record that as an audio track).

You need to use the Teranex Mini to take LTC timecode and embed it as ancillary timecode in the SDI signal (both the Teranex Mini Audio to SDI and HDMI to SDI versions have timecode embedding support). The older mini converters do not support timecode embedding, unfortunately.

Return to Live Production