My first Blackmagic camera

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

60cents

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 11:44 pm

I just bought my first Blackmagic anything.
I was looking for a 4K video camera for a documentary project and this was sort of an impulse purchase.
Now I need to know how to operate it, what accessories I absolutely need, and what about software?
I'm looking for recommendations.
Thanks

michaeldhead

Re: My first Blackmagic camera

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 5:04 pm

What camera is it?

Have you read the manual for the camera?
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Blackmagic makes several 4K camera models, we need to know which one you got.
The camera manuals are available on the BM Support site: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... al-cameras

The Production Camera 4K is in the Compact Camera manual download, the Ursa Mini 4K is in the Ursa Mini manual, (scroll down the list in the center to see the manuals).
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

60cents

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 5:44 pm

It is the Micro Ultra HD Studio. I haven't received it yet so, no, I haven't read the manual.
This camera can be attached to my DJI Inspire 1 but I can not find any information about parts needed or how to do it other than a picture of one on a Phantom.
Some information about that would be very helpful.
Thanks

michaeldhead

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Manual: https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf

I don't know anything about mounting it on a drone - I'm sure someone here does.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 8:04 pm

I think this is the manual for your new camera:

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf

Denny, I had not clicked on my link to verify it. As you pointed out. Sorry about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 8:57 pm

Thomas, I think you are referring to the Micro Studio 4K (actually UHD) Studio. A great little camera, I have one, but you do know, this camera does not have a built in recorder, it can only output a Rec 709 video signal (but a very nice saturated one)? For drone work, you would use the Micro Cinema camera, which can record HD directly in the camera. If you end up with the Micro Studio, I have a new Micro Cinema camera available, and I would swap you for the Micro Studio. ;)

You wand the BM Studio Camera manual formthr Micro Studio 4K Camera, that Rick posted a link for.
Here is the actual manual: https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

60cents

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 3:07 am

Thanks for the links to the manual. Those are helpful but it will take a while to digest them.
Since I haven't put my hands on this camera yet, I really don't know what I have. And I'm completely unfamiliar with the Blackmagic label. It may not be what I need but I'm going to investigate.
So I'm not willing to part with it just yet Denny but thanks for the offer. We may work something out later.
Afgter I've had a chance to work with this little gem, I'll post my initial reactions back here.
In the meantime, I'm very interested in what others have to say about this particular model

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 4:53 pm

The Live Production section of the Forum May also contain comments about the Micro Studio Camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm

To record anything, unless you are doing live switching, you are going to need an external monitor with a recorder built in, like the BM Video Assist 5-inch for HD or the VA4K for UHD recording. I use a Video Devices PixE 5-inch, which is a full DSC 4K recorder, that does, HD, UHD and full 4K. It also has excelling audio support.

When you get the camera if it has the Mini SDI jacks on the left side, then it is the Micro Studio.
If it has a SD card slot on the left side and a red record button on the top right front corner, it is the Micro Cinema Camera.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Denny Smith wrote:To record anything, unless you are doing live switching, yiu are going to need an external monitor with a recorder built in, like the BM Video Assist 5-inch for HD or the VA4K for UHD recording. I use a Video Devices PixE 5-inch, which is a full DSC 4K recorder, that does, HD, UHD and full 4K. It also has excelling audio support.

In spite of Atomos' famously over the top marketing mumbo jumbo, I think these are the two best recorder options on the market at present. Convergent's has more features, but the Video Devices is the only option that includes Sound Devices preamps, which might as well be the audio world's equivalent of the AlevIII.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Yes, the Audio Preamps on the PixE and ability to sync direct audio inputs with the video being recorded, was the main reason I went with the PixE. I had a VA 5-inch, it was nice, but audio had to come from either an external mixer into the camera or from the camera directly. Also the green tint issue on the VA was annoying to me, I ended up turning the chroma all the way down to get a B&W image on it.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

60cents

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 1:15 am

Got the Blackmagic Ultra HD Studio camera today and it isn't what I need so I'm looking to sell it already. If there is anyone interested in this let me know and I will send the details.

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 2:41 am

You might want to post this in the Live Production Forum.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 pm

A bit of research and information gathering would be key before buying (impulse) :roll:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Peterson

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 4:13 am

Wow.

Wow.

I think nothing can shock me... but nope, I get amazed once again at how people can just blindly buy something without knowing anything about it.

Not even the name of it!
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

60cents

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 3:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions David and Xtreemtec. Good advice. I'll try to remember them.
This is essentially a new camera with no scratches around the mounting threads or anywhere else.
I have it advertised on Amazon at the moment thinking I would be better off with the new 4k pocket camera. Some advice on that would be appreciated.
I'm also thinking of keeping it and adding a video assist monitor with an external battery on a shoulder mount rig.
I'm looking for advice on that also.
It might be cheaper this way than buying the new 4k pocket and adding the above enhancements since I already have the cage, the battery with the vmount plate, follow focus, and a 480 Gb ssd ???

Now I'm doing my research as suggested and I've learned a lot since my first post. But I'm still a newby.

Thanks.

David Peterson

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 am

Yes, you'd be much much better off with the BMPCC4K (or even the original BMPCC!) than the Micro with an external recorder, if you're buying it for filmmaking
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Return to Off-Topic