Ursa mini pro 5.1.1 - i have found two annoying bugs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Krzysztof Gluszek

Ursa mini pro 5.1.1 - i have found two annoying bugs

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 9:41 am

Hi, i dont know if this is right place for bug reporting.

Recently i have purchased UMP as a second body to my regular 4.6K.
Immidiatelly i have noticed some annoying thing which can be bugs:

UMP with firmware 5.1.1 from the shop.

- on UMP - when i create two presets for different frame rates - 1 for 25/50fps (4.6k full) and second for 25/120 (2K cropped) - when i switch from 25/50 to 25/120 it is ok, when i switch from 25/120 back to 25/50 it gives me 60fps offspeed, not 50. When i press 25/50 preset once again it backs to 50 like it should be. It is annoying, on 4.6K with 4.8 firmware it works as it should. I use those presets A LOT during shooting, could anybody check this out?

-on UMP - When shooting raw false color and zebras works ok. When i am switching to prores - it changes a lot without even touching exposure - it look like much lower dynamic range - blacks are crushed and bright parts are going to red immidiatelly and shows much more zebras (i set it to 100precent) On 4.6k (4.8) switching between raw and prores doesnt change false color and zebras, maybe little bit - on UMP it looks like drastic change. Has anybody experienced such a behaviour?

Maybe i should change UMP down to 4.8?

Krzysztof Gluszek

Re: Ursa mini pro 5.1.1 - i have found two annoying bugs

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 am

UPDATE: both problems seems to be non existent on 4.9 (i have just downgraded from 5.1.1 to 4.9). So they have to be bugs of 5.1.1.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: Ursa mini pro 5.1.1 - i have found two annoying bugs

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 3:34 am

The preset one you mention is definitely a bug that we are looking into.

We have not been able to reproduce the second one you mention here. Is it possible that when you switch to ProRes you are looking at 'Video' in your record dynamic range settings? If that is the case it would definitely explain why your false color and zebra would change drastically without touching exposure. 'Video' range is far less than 'Film' or RAW so you will see quite a big difference between the two.

Return to Cinematography