BMPCC4K can we please get sample footage already?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Zach Nelson

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 12:14 am

Seriously. If the camera is done there should be public footage. Unless... the camera isn’t done.

Gene Kochanowsky

Re: BMPCC4K can we please get sample footage already?

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 4:19 am

+1

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 5:14 am

As my friend William S might remind us, “All the world’s a stage,” and this next Pocket 4K camera will debut on that stage when there’s an audience to play before. Anon.

If it makes anyone feel better to know their pain of waiting is shared by others, I preordered today. So where’s my principal actor? Stage Left? Anon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Ryan Payne

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 3:11 am

I have a strange feeling that the sample footage will be very soon for some reason.

AdrianSierkowski

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Literally just came on back here for the same reason. i am personally quite surprised there's not been any test footage out there yet. Mildly worrying actually. Personally, while I'm interested in the system, as I have been with many BM systems, I'm holding off till after it starts shipping and after i start seeing both the camera and it's accessories in the wild.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Jim Giberti

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 3:14 pm

As a wise man recently said: "Soon."

Mark Grgurev

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 3:42 pm

I've also been getting a little impatient about it. I preordered it as soon as I had the money but since it's been such a long period time since the announcement, we haven't even seen any of the carbon fiber bodies shown off at shows and we keep getting told that the DC-In connector isn't finalized, I'm getting worried that there will, in fact, be a delay. Seeing some footage would ease that fear or at least make up for a delay.

Jim Giberti wrote:As a wise man recently said: "Soon."

I saw that, too, and I'm really hoping he's letting out some insider knowledge lol
Last edited by Mark Grgurev on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 4:09 pm

I ordered the camera while watching the live stream of its presentation. But already then I expected it to be released later than announced. Better late than sorry ;)
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 5:41 pm

rick.lang wrote:If it makes anyone feel better to know their pain of waiting is shared by others, I preordered today. So where’s my principal actor? Stage Left? Anon.

You're ahead of me... I haven't preordered one yet. :o
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 5:48 pm

He is ahead of us both.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:31 pm

With my luck, I’ll have the camera before I have a single mFT lens to attach to it. Been busy reading reviews of those well known contending photo zooms from Olympus (12-40mm) and Panasonic (12/35, 12-60mm) on the photographyblog.com and I’m not really impressed although Olympus looks best to me.

Might have to look into a real cinema zoom for mFT if anyone has a suggestion.

http://tokinacinema.com/11-16mmT3.html

At this point I’m just going to use the SLR Magic APO PL->mFT primes and maybe add the SLR Magic 10mm T2.1 Cine prime for mFT.

Last edited by rick.lang on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rick Lang

michaeldhead

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:36 pm

I'm looking at a 7artisans 25mm to start - not fancy at all, but it's getting generally good reviews and it's cheap.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Rick, sounds good, I have the Duclos version of thr Tokina 11-16, very Sold little lens, works great, easy to focus. Tokina also has a longer zoom out.

If you want to use your PL Lenses, I have an extra Wooden Camera MFT/PL Pro adapter you can try out.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Thanks, Denny. I’ve already ordered the SLR Magic APO PL->MFT adapter.

Rick Lang

Savannah Miller

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 1:20 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
rick.lang wrote:If it makes anyone feel better to know their pain of waiting is shared by others, I preordered today. So where’s my principal actor? Stage Left? Anon.

You're ahead of me... I haven't preordered one yet. :o

It seems like one of those cameras that's priced in a way that it's too tempting not to buy one as there's always a use for such a camera. But there's not much need to preorder it in that case.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 2:01 pm

Tokina is going to bring a new version of the Cinema 11-16 mmm in the end of this year. It will be a newly designed 11-20 mm T3.0 - so I guess it might be worth the wait.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Wayne Steven

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm not looking for an door stop, so I'll wait till I have sample footage at least, maybe.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Zach Nelson wrote:Seriously. If the camera is done there should be public footage. Unless... the camera isn’t done.

I suspect it was as fine as they thought. What might have happened since then is another thing. However, why no traditional sample footage at CES, if done? Is there something people don't want seen? I've seen John talk about dissapointment with certain pixel schemes. Does this use one of them? I'm more willing to put up with things, but I prefer to know inorder to make purchasing decisions. Soon there will be 8k releases, and 8k downsampling could make ok 4k.

Ambarella has had 8k level performance for a whole, others have it too. So, I suspect we might see 8k cameras this year from big brands, along with the 8k TV releasea. $500 -$1000 8k camera anybody? Doable this year I would expect, but the will to do is another thing. The days when Samsung would whack a ambarella chip in a descent camcorder seems to be gone (but there are rumours of a new still, but maybe just rumours).
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Tokina is going to bring a new version of the Cinema 11-16 mmm in the end of this year. It will be a newly designed 11-20 mm T3.0 - so I guess it might be worth the wait.

I did think it odd that the non-Cine 11-20mm existedand looked everywhere for it in the ATX Cine version. From what I’ve looked at the Tokina 11-20 T3 is likely to be the most affordable new Cine zoom .

Based on LensTip mounting the Tokina 11-16 on a full-frame camera, the Tokina 11-20 T3, which optically is better than the 11-16, may actually have a sufficient image circle at 13mm to work with the SLR Magic 1.33x-65 Anamorphot adapter on the BMPCC4K canera. The adapter screws into the 82mm thread on the Tokina lens.
https://www.lenstip.com/379.8-Lens_revi ... tting.html

The Fujinon MK looked promising but the image circle isn’t large enough to cover the URSA Mini 4.6K sensor. The SLR Magic 1.33x-65 Anamorphot adapter was developed specifically for the Fujinon MK series, but will sow some increased light falloff when paired with the BMPCC4K and the Anamorphot as the image circle is just shy of covering the angle of view. Regardless I can’t afford it so good it isn’t the ideal solution.

Will wait until NAB 2019.

Last edited by rick.lang on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Tokina is going to bring a new version of the Cinema 11-16 mmm in the end of this year. It will be a newly designed 11-20 mm T3.0 - so I guess it might be worth the wait.

I did think it odd that the non-Cine 11-20mm existedand looked everywhere for it in the ATX Cine version. From what I’ve looked at the Tokina 11-20 T3 is likely to be the most affordable new Cine zoom .

The Fujinon MK looked promising but the image circle isn’t large enough to cover the URSA Mini 4.6K sensor. The SLR Magic 1.33x-65 Anamorphot adapter was developed specifically for the Fujinon MK series, but will sow some increased light falloff when paired with the BMPCC4K and the Anamorphot as the image circle is just shy of covering the angle of view. Regardless I can’t afford it so good it isn’t the ideal solution. I should lobby Tokina to see if their housing can accommodate the screw-in Anamorphot.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 3:17 pm

The Fujinon MK looked promising but the image circle isn’t large enough to cover the URSA Mini 4.6K sensor. The SLR Magic 1.33x-65 Anamorphot adapter was developed specifically for the Fujinon MK series, but will sow some increased light falloff when paired with the BMPCC4K and the Anamorphot as the image circle is just shy of covering the angle of view. Regardless I can’t afford it so good it isn’t the ideal solution. I should lobby Tokina to see if their housing can accommodate the screw-in Anamorphot.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Rick Lang

Jim Giberti

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Man, you can really drive a point Rick. :lol:

Robert Niessner

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Rick, I did not understand your last posting - could you repeat once more?
:lol:
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Jim Giberti wrote:Man, you can really drive a point Rick. :lol:

Jim, today nearly all
my posts using Tapatalk have said they failed to post, so I post again, and again until the post works. Then I find out I have duplicates! Grrrggh.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Rick, I did not understand your last posting - could you repeat once more?
:lol:

I’d love too. You know I’d do anything for you, Robert!

Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 9:50 pm

rick.lang wrote:Jim, today nearly all
my posts using Tapatalk have said they failed to post, so I post again, and again until the post works. Then I find out I have duplicates! Grrrggh.

So Tapatalk is stuttering today, eh?
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 12:57 am

Hey Rick

Did you say that you would wait till 2019?

Not clear
Just checking.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 am

I also pre-ordered on the same day the camera was announced, but I did it through B&H, which has a 30 day no-questions-asked money back policy and they only bill when the product ships and will allow me to cancel at any time.

I am also an amateur, so I'm not counting on this camera for any critical purpose and can take it or leave it. But I certainly will be giving the camera a thorough test when I get it, and if it doesn't deliver as promised, it will be going back.

I would also like to remind people that BM in the past has 'shipped' some of its previous cameras more or less on the date they said, but BM in my experience can take a good part of a year to catch up on the pre-orders because often they are still working out the bugs, kinks and features long after the first unit has shipped.

So don't hold your breath even if the camera is "shipping".

Savannah Miller

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 6:24 am

Someone mentioned in one of the FB groups that there is a lesser return policy for the new Pocket at B&H. Not sure how true that is, but people seemed to suggest Adorama was better in that regard.

Wayne Steven

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 7:58 am

rick.lang wrote:
Jim Giberti wrote:Man, you can really drive a point Rick. :lol:

Jim, today nearly all

I've had problems like that a lot with this site. It hangs during posting so you don't know if it went through before the hang. Strange.

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 5:51 pm

Leon, I’m waiting until 2019 to consider a new constant aperture wide zoom with very good optics and performance to mount on the BMPCC4K. Until then I’ll shoot with SLR Magic APO PL->MFT primes.

Can’t wait for the camera as it would be perfect for a late September wedding reception and dance. The URSA Mini 4.6K likely will be the wedding camera while the afternoon sun shines in a winery setting.

Rick Lang

Robert Niessner

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 pm

Rick, here is the article about the Tokina 11-20:
https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/04/08/ ... the-range/
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 5:57 am

Robert, it’s asking for a restricted password. Maybe I will hav better luck doing it on the iMac to tomorrow. Bedtime after shooting a show this evening.

Rick Lang

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 4:34 pm

rick.lang wrote:Leon, I’m waiting until 2019 to consider a new constant aperture wide zoom with very good optics and performance to mount on the BMPCC4K. Until then I’ll shoot with SLR Magic APO PL->MFT primes.

Are you planing to do hand held or on sticks with this combo?
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 4:38 am

Typically still on sticks. Mounting the SLR Magic APO primes will cause the camera balance to move forward and true handheld might be awkward. I like the image to be steady unless camera movement is part of the shot. Would love to try it with a Ronin S!

If I put a pancake lens on it, it would be easy to forego the tripod. The camera has enough weight to feel steady in the hand like any larger DSLR.

Rick Lang

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 4:23 pm

rick.lang wrote: I like the image to be steady unless camera movement is part of the shot. Would love to try it with a Ronin S!

Lately a friend has purchased a Tilta Gravity G2X.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... dheld.html

This is what I have learnt so far. We are at the trail and error stage at this time.
This is off topic but you and I have started this conversation on another topic thread, so I hope that it is acceptable that I hijack this thread.

In our previous conversation I stated that single hand gimbals are difficult to work with.
He has paired the gimbal to a Canon C200 with a 24 mm pancake lens. The weight of camera with lens is very low.
The advantage of the Tilta gimbal is that it has rosettes on either side of the handle. He has put handles on the rosettes. This moves the hands higher up and makes the gimbal much more comfortable to use.

I have found these videos on Youtube showing a similar setup

I think that the BMPCC4K will be very good candidate for this pairing.

Denny Smith

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks Leon, I like the two hand grip better also.
Rick, you could always use the excellent little Panasonic Leica 15mm lens, gives you a nice AOV, similar to 32mm on 135) and thenkens is small and light, a little bigger than a pancake, so focusing is easier.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Paines

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 5:19 pm

There are a number of third party two-grip handles for one-handed gimbals. Some of the gimbal manufacturers sell them as accessories, though I don't believe Ronin does for the S. Trouble is, the Ronin is already twice the weight of the norm. Add 3 more pounds and there's no longer any advantage to this design.

As for those videos above -- I guess it proves the camera does indeed mount on that gimbal, give 'em that much, but you really have to laugh. These youtubers will show everything except 1) actual useful footage, and 2) that the camera is balanced when the motors are off.
Last edited by John Paines on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 6:43 pm

John Paines wrote:These youtubers will show everything except 1) actual useful footage,

from same YouTube channel

Sorry for no BMPCC4K footage.

John Paines

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:[from same YouTube channel

And they both confirm the complaint!

The first one is shot from a moving vehicle, and the second one is quick cuts, low angles, head/shoulder closeups, and shots with no stable reference points, therefore difficult to assess.

All this recalls youtube loudspeaker "reviews", where the guy turns on the system and evidently expects the audience at home to assess the sound.

And this is the norm for gimbal reviews. Those guys in baseball caps apparently can't walk in a straight line for more than 10 seconds and record at the same time.

Joakley

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 1:46 am

Is this a good place to ask a question about accessories and whatnot?

I plan on buying it but I’m just wondering what mount I’ll need to buy with it. Is it the $600.00+ speedbooster? Or are there others or what. I obviously won’t be using any AF features since I have Rokinon prime lenses (Canon EF).

Also, I’d like some extra batteries. Which ones does the camera use?

I’ve never owned a black magic camera. Completely new territory. I’ve had the same cheap canon DSLR for a number of years now.

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 1:51 am

John Paines wrote:And they both confirm the complaint!

Sorry we cannot all be as perfect as you.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 3:24 am

John Paines wrote:Those guys in baseball caps apparently can't walk in a straight line for more than 10 seconds and record at the same time.

It's uncanny, you've described me to a tee, except for the baseball cap.

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:14 am

Very interesting stuff though, Leon! I need to look into the Tilta. Right after I get out of rehab. I’m thinking I need to check myself in as this stuff is addictive.

Anyone want to join me after you get your BMPCC4K?

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 5:16 am

I’m in Rick, see if I can get my “mate” Ron Howard to join us, he wears a baseball cap also. :roll:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Paines

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:52 am

Maybe you guys haven't shopped long enough? When you're on your 89th gimbal youtube and getting tired of the slow motion, 3-second cuts, moving headshots and segway stuff, you may find yourself asking the gods in exasperation, why can't the bugger just walk in a straight line for a few seconds?

Granted, the aspersion against baseball caps was a low blow. What I've always wondered is, does youtube sell the ones where they attach the bill to the back instead of the front?

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 1:18 pm

John Paines wrote:... Granted, the aspersion against baseball caps was a low blow. What I've always wondered is, does youtube sell the ones where they attach the bill to the back instead of the front?

John, I’ll let you know when the van will be in your neighbourhood for a free ride to the sanatorium! That question you asked has struck a deep chord. It may not have quite the elegance of “what’s the meaning of the universe?” but it has to be the second or third most important question I’ve ever heard! The only thing that comes close in terms of its complexity is the question “are you still beating your wife?” Kudos to you.

Rick Lang
Next

Return to Cinematography