Workaround for three button mouse "delete point" on mac ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jeff Smart

Workaround for three button mouse "delete point" on mac ?

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 12:41 pm

Has DaVinci Resolve yet built-in a work around for "the three button mouse" problems for mac users ? Yeap - we mac users only have two buttons and a scroll wheel that can't emulate a centre button click.

ie: DR manuals currently says you need a "three button mouse" for certain functions ie: click the centre button or scroll wheel to delete control points in bezier windows, commonplace in rotoscoping.

I know a few people installed specific mouse driver emulators to add new functions, but wouldn't it be nicer/less-risk if DR could allow mac users to use a "Keyboard Shortcut" to do this important and repetitive function - ie delete bezier window point ? BMD Please ? PS - this now makes more sense since Fusion is now integrated into DR :)

Again sorry in advance if this has been fixed and I didn't find a solution online.
Thx Jeff

Marc Wielage

Re: Workaround for three button mouse "delete point" on mac

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Jeff Smart wrote:Has DaVinci Resolve yet built-in a work around for "the three button mouse" problems for mac users ? Yeap - we mac users only have two buttons and a scroll wheel that can't emulate a centre button click.

I've been a Mac user for more than 30 years. My solution was just to get an HP wired 3-button optical mouse, which I think was $12.

I've used every pointing device imaginable, including trackballs, trackpads, thumb mice, you name it, but for me at least, a simple wired 3-button mouse works best with Resolve. (I was never able to get the hang of a stylus, but there are people who use them for editing and drawing.)
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Me too, a three button mouse was already indispensable on the Mac for me when I was only working with 3D, but for Resolve it is as much.
Plus, my wrist starts hurting when I work for hours with the 'Magic Mouse', it's not really ergonomic.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Brad Hurley

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Plus, my wrist starts hurting when I work for hours with the 'Magic Mouse', it's not really ergonomic.

You might also want to check out the Evoluent vertical mouse (https://evoluent.com/). You basically shake hands with it. It has multiple buttons (mine has four; I think the newest version has five), and the extra buttons can be programmed to perform specific functions. It's available wired or wireless, right or left handed. I hate wireless mice so I got the wired one and it has performed well for the last 3-4 years. No wrist pain.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 12:44 am

Yes, thanks, I have something similar from Logitech.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:28 am

Yes as Marc said: when I'm on a mac, i bring my mouse with me.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jeff Smart

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 am

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your comments and ideas !

I appreciate ditching the mac mouse and returning to a 3 button mouse. Presently I do temporarily connect a 3 three button mouse just to delete DR bezier window control points, particularly for long/complex rotoscoping session, but two problems I found:

1) it's a pain to swap between the mac Magic Mouse and 3 button, since I regularly background DR while it's caching/rendering and run other apps like Logic, BUT many of the important mouse functions operate differently/reversed between the mice - so too easy to screw up when tired and particularly now that I am familiar with the mac mouse app functionality after fighting it for years.

2) RSI - over decades I learnt the hard way that single handed, long mouse centric work really stuffs up your hand - RSI. I found I could significantly reduce RSI (and generally stress) using two hands, ie one hand on the mouse as the locator/zoom/pan and the other hand on the keyboard for keyboard shortcuts. Also faster workflow.

Therefore I was hoping there was a simple DR keyboard shortcut to "delete control points for bezier window" ie "d" which would solve the need for mouse switching and reduce RSI. Anyone know of an existing keyboard shortcut for this function ? If not, I'm sure many mac users would appreciate the BMD team adding this keyboard shortcut, or even even better, a mac keyboard specific keyboard shortcut (fn key..) that would emulate the 3 button mouse middle button press !
Than I'm a really happy bunny :)
DR Studio 18.1.4 on 16GB M1 MacMini macOS v3.3.1
34" 5K Ultrawide MSI PS341WU P3 GUI monitor
TB3 -> SW RAID 4 x NVMe @ 5,700MBs
TB3 -> DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K -> 43" Philips HDR1000 wg monitor.

Tero Ahlfors

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:09 am

Get a three button mouse

or

Get a tablet

or

Use a macro program that you can remap that key to something on the keyboard

Peter Fizgal

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:11 am

I have been a Wacom addict for almost 25 years now and have a problem with using mice...

I use a wacom on my right hand, and on my left hand I have a contour shuttle that emulates different button presses.
Mac Pro 2019 - 12core 3.3 - 48Gb Ram - All SSD - AMD Radeon VII - macOS 10.15.2

Return to DaVinci Resolve