NAB 2018 - BMD Color Science 4

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Fabián Aguirre

NAB 2018 - BMD Color Science 4

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Dear BMD,

Congratulations on the big announcement-- I, like so many, love the concept of the BMPCC4K and have already placed a pre-order. I am sure it will be a huge success.

As the owner of nearly every camera you have ever made, and the fact that 95% of our work is done on an UM46K and a BMMCC, I was pleased to hear Mr. Petty confirm plans to roll out BMD Color Science 4 onto some of the other cameras in the line. Are you able to provide a rough estimate of release?

One of the tasks that absorb so much of our time in post is matching our mini and our micro. We do it often as they are both our workhorse kits in our documentary work, but I dream of a day when it will be easier to achieve a consistent match a bit more easily, or more consistently, similar to the way RED does with its different sensors.

I realize it will never be a one-click solution, and I would never expect that as I know even sensors from the same model may vary, but the differences between our mini and our micro (and our pocket and our BMCC, for that matter), are vast. Moreover, I truly love the way our mini renders hues and its ease of grading, so I hope the inclusion of BMD CS4 will get us closer to that end. I certainly hope the new Pocket 4K will match the mini and pro more closely. As a Steadicam operator, I'm excited about being able to fly a fully-rigged 4K pocket and achieve the same or similar texture and color rendition of our mini, which I fly every week.

Finally, I know this has been mentioned in the past, but I wonder if BMD might be able to develop baseline LUTs to help us match cameras a bit better in the absence of a unified color science across cameras.

Thanks for all you do, and looking forward to this year's innovations.

Very best,

Fabián
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

carlomacchiavello

Re: NAB 2018 - BMD Color Science 4

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:51 am

Aces and correct DIT applied should be the solution. Now we hope bmd develop correct Dit for their camera and develop a solution for us to develop it

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 am

Carlo, do you mean to say “correct IDT?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 am

rick.lang wrote:Carlo, do you mean to say “correct IDT?”

Ops yes Rick

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

timbutt2

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 8:55 pm

I'm curious what the new color science could bring to the 4.6K sensor.

One thing I'm hoping for with the next update for the URSA Mini lineup is that the Extended Video LUT and Rec2020 LUT are built in to the camera and doesn't effect the number of custom LUT spots.

Additionally, I hope Blackmagic Design finally integrates the Video Assist 4K LUT via Video Assist Setup protocol into the Camera Setup protocol. That way the LUTs aren't erased from the camera every time you perform an update, and the LUTs can be loaded on to the camera via the Camera Setup. Fingers crossed.

Either way, I'd love to hear more about what is in Color Science Version 4.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Robert Niessner

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 9:24 pm

And maybe finally the ability to bake a LUT into the recording. Would be great for projects with a fast turn-around.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Donnell Henry

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 2:15 am

I wonder if it will have a better highlight roll off curve. If it can come close to Arri .. I think the so called big boys will be in real trouble
GODS CREATE

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 am

Fabián, you’ll be pleased to know that Gen4 color has been added to the full release version of Resolve 15 as an option for raw clips from BMD cameras.

It won’t be a one click match as far as I’ve seen so far on my own clips from different cameras, but it’s a far better starting point for a grade than Gen3.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Jamie, I assumed the Gen 4 Colour should only be used with cameras that currently support it like the Broadcast and the BMPCC4K. Otherwise I think the results will be problematic. Hopefully there will soon be support for Gen 4 on the URSA Mini 4.6K/Pro.

Rick Lang

Sean van Berlo

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Actually the original RAW of at least the Ursa 4.6k can be decoded with Gen 4 already. This thread goes into how that works exactly: http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?22119 ... sion/page5

Dan Keeble

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 2:45 pm

rick.lang wrote: Hopefully there will soon be support for Gen 4 on the URSA Mini 4.6K/Pro.

...and the URSA Mini 4K! 8-)
www.flud.digital

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:24 pm

rick.lang wrote:Jamie, I assumed the Gen 4 Colour should only be used with cameras that currently support it like the Broadcast and the BMPCC4K. Otherwise I think the results will be problematic. Hopefully there will soon be support for Gen 4 on the URSA Mini 4.6K/Pro.

The color science will change how raw gets translated to image data, so it's probably going to lead to a nicer out-of-the-box image.

It's a major benefit of having one of the industry's top color science teams in house.

Grant did say during the NAB press conference that BMD would be rolling out the new color science to its other cameras, though IIRC he said it would happen after the new Pocket launched.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:11 pm

John B. has been grading UM 4.6 footage with Gen4 color science also, quite successfully I might add
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:14 am

Thanks, Sean et al. I still suspect there are firmware changes coming to the URSA Mini camera’s that will take advantage of the Colour 4 changes. But good to know one can use 4.6K Colour 4. I noticed that when I poked around today while editing a Prores 444 XQ shoot.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:13 pm

I understand it makes more sense and the results will be more predictable when the URSA Mini cameras firmware updates include support for the new Colour Gen 4, but I couldn’t resist taking it for a spin a bit early. Not only did I apply Gen 4 but the video was shot last week in ProRes 444 XQ. So that might be two no-no’s but it worked for my deliverable that I graded in monochrome. Just doing the final 16 hour render for that now, after which I’ll see what I can do with a Colour grade of the same video. That’ll be a challenge.

Rick Lang

Fabián Aguirre

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:03 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Fabián, you’ll be pleased to know that Gen4 color has been added to the full release version of Resolve 15 as an option for raw clips from BMD cameras.

It won’t be a one click match as far as I’ve seen so far on my own clips from different cameras, but it’s a far better starting point for a grade than Gen3.

Hi Jamie,

Thank you-- I've been using the full release of Resolve 15 all week and really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I very, very, rarely shoot CDNG so I'll have to wait until BMD releases an in-camera update to the Ursa Minis, though I admit I'm considering shooting something in raw just to see how it behaves before then.

Hope you are well!
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 11:30 am

temporarely you can build a node where you apply a lut from color 4

shoot a single raw clip with color chart, use color transform space from bmd film to rec709 or you prefer, apply on raw the CS4, build a lut, export it for camera and for you preferred NLE

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 1:52 am

We need to stay on top of BMD on implementing this into their other cameras. I've learned you can work with Gen 4 in R15, but I'm sure there is a firmware update they can do to get the UM4.6k up to the UMPro with the in camera processing.

There are a lot of releases now that don't seem to be being addressed to us as a customer base.

Return to Cinematography