Ursa Mini Pro playback

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timoda

Ursa Mini Pro playback

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi there,

recently got my UMP and I'm a bit confused of one cannot play back all of the clips recorded, because one has to set the exact settings, these clips have been recorded with. So if there are e.g. some clips recorded with 25fps in UHD and some with 50fps in HD I have to set exactly these settings every time before being able to take a look at what has been recorder.

Might there be an option to change this or is this more of 'feature'? Why can't I just see and playback everything that has been recorded?

Glad to hear your opinion!

Regards Timo

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: Ursa Mini Pro playback

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 11:49 pm

This is expected behaviour. You can play back clips shot with the same project frame rate in the same codec.

So all 25p ProRes clips will play back when you are set to a project frame rate of 25.
Likewise for RAW... any 25p RAW clips will play back when you are set to RAW and have a project frame rate of 25p.

If you are shooting with a project frame rate of 25 but you want to shoot some clips at 50 for slow-motion tap on the frame rate in the heads up display and select 'Off-speed: On/Off' in the bottom right hand corner and then set your sensor frame rate to 50. These clips will then automatically record at 50 frames per second with a project rate of 25 and therefore will play back in slow motion alongside your other 25p (sync audio) clips on the card.

Worth noting that while we still record audio when in 'Off-speed' this will not be in sync with your footage even if it is at 25p. This is because you can ramp and change frame rates when in Off-speed mode whilst recording using the slider. If you switch to 'Off-speed' for slow motion it is important that you switch it back off again when you want to record with sync audio again.

Hope this helps.

Marco Raboy

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:
This is because you can ramp and change frame rates when in Off-speed mode whilst recording using the slider.

Whoa!? Is this really a feature? Like you can manually ramp the frame rate from a normal-ish sync speed to slow motion and then back again even in the middle of a recording? I'm surprised thats not something thats ever been demonstrated when talking about the features of the Ursa Minis. Don't have a camera nearby to test this functionality out.
-Marco Raboy

timoda

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 6:57 am

Thanks Tim for your reply.

I understand but this is something new to me. So far I'm used to be able to playback all recordings regardless of (project) frame rates and codecs on other cameras. I guess the main point about this is the project and sensor frame rate which other cameras don't have in this way but only one 'unified' frame rate.

Will there be a chance to get an option in a future update in order to play back all recordings or is this more of a technical issue?

Whoa!? Is this really a feature? Like you can manually ramp the frame rate from a normal-ish sync speed to slow motion and then back again even in the middle of a recording? I'm surprised thats not something thats ever been demonstrated when talking about the features of the Ursa Minis. Don't have a camera nearby to test this functionality out.

Just tested this 'in camera speed ramping' but for me it does not seem to be what we're thinking of Marco.
I was able to use the slider while recording, sure. But it does not slowly transition between the frame rates but rather switch immediately after leaving the slider to the selected frame rate.

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:19 pm

It is a technical issue, on how this and other top end pro cameras work. BM is not alone with payback limited to the currently sent project rate, the new Panasonic EVA1 has the same restriction.

All of BM’s camera have limited playback, primarily designed to playback the previously recorded clip, as a quick check. The camera is not a playback device per se. So I do not think this will change, and the current csmeras can not be fixed via a firmware update, as it is a hardware restriction.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography