Decklink 4K Extreme 12G only one SDI input works

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

phantomg007

Decklink 4K Extreme 12G only one SDI input works

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:16 am

I just bought a decklink 4k extreme 12g and changed out the hdmi port for the
4 SDI 4k card. but only SDI slot 2 is capturing video and the rest I can't seem to find. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Decklink 4K Extreme 12G only one SDI input works

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Hello James. The Decklink 4K Extreme is a single Input/Output at a time device. The second port from the bottom is The SDI input. The second SDI input at the bottom would be used for Dual Link or Stereoscopic use of the same signal. All Decklinks with the exception of the Duo and Quad cards are single input output devices.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

phantomg007

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 12:14 am

I told the guy who sold it to me what I was doing with it and he didn't tell me that. why have 8 SDI inputs if you can only use one of them?

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 9:41 am

phantomg007 wrote:I told the guy who sold it to me what I was doing with it and he didn't tell me that. why have 8 SDI inputs if you can only use one of them?

Decklink 4K extreme does not have 8 sdi inputs..

And the guy that didn't tell you.. Then he did not have the right knowlage.. Or he was only in the selling mood.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 22, 2018 12:02 am

All inputs and outputs have a use but only with a single signal requiring multiple connections. They are not separate inputs and outputs. The only capture devices we make that have more than one independent input are the Decklink Duo and Decklink Quad.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

a.k.Riffo

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:10 am

Hi Gary,

Can you confirme that even with the mezzanine extension card with 2 Optical Fiber port, the Decklink 4K Extreme 12G will only manage one single input and one single output?
Is it the same for the DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G - Quad SDI extension card?
What about the Decklink 8k Pro, is it a single input output at a time device?
Sorry for this questions but as the tech specs of the Decklink 8k Pro mention:

SDI Video Inputs
4 x bi-directional 12Gb/s SD/HD/2K/4K/8K. Supports single, dual link and quad link 4:2:2/4:4:4. 2D/3D switchable.

Does it still means one input output at a time?

We are building a 4k ingest rig with 2 Xenon processors, 64 Gb of RAM, 8Tb of SSD on RAID 5, and we unfortunately put 3 Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, expecting to capture six 4k stream at a time. What do you reckon we should do?

Many thanks,
Adrian

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 4:54 am

Hello Adrian. Note that Single, Dual, and Quad links all represent a single image signal requiring one, two or four cables to pass the image. The only capture devices that support multiple independent signals are the Decklink Duo and Decklink Quad. Everything else give you multiple methods to handle a single image signal. I hope this helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 6:24 pm

For 6 12G feeds. You need 6 capture card. And a freaking expensive motherboard to handle that much data on the PciE bus.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started