Extremely long boot up time - 'Looking For Control Surface'

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Danny Field

Extremely long boot up time - 'Looking For Control Surface'

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 9:52 am

Hi there

I'm finding that it takes a really long time to boot. Stuck on the 'Looking for Control Surface' for a really long time. It's around 5 minutes to boot into Resolve. If I try to click out or something else, it'll crash. So I have to start it up and then go make a cup of coffee.

Running a 970 GTX GPU, and I've never had an issue with the previous Resolve versions. It used to always load pretty quick, like around 10 seconds. I don't have a control surface, but it's never been an issue before. BUT I do have a BM dongle, so I wonder if that is 'somehow' causing the issue.

Edit: I'm on PC as well. Windows 10

Todd Groves

Re: Extremely long boot up time - 'Looking For Control Surfa

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:02 pm

I don't have that issue. I work on an iMac Pro. And I too have a dongle. So, maybe its a system problem.

Tony Martin

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:29 pm

There has always been a delay while it looks for a control surface (but not as bad as that).

But I have always wondered why it is looking in the first place when I have told it that I do not have a control surface.

That's in Preferences\Control Panels\Select this panel for grading [None].

I am assuming that it has not read the Preferences at that stage.

Maybe then, the Control Panel setting should be saved in a separate preferences file so that it can be read earlier on in the boot-up sequence.

I am guessing that that the number of non-panel users is much greater than the number of panel users.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:29 pm

not seeing that either,

mutiple machines, all w10, all with licenced software

but all have EUcon client installed so Resolve sees a surface... does not seem to matter if the physical surface is connected to a particular machine

on start up Resolve 15.b1 goes through the "looking for surfaces" page reasonably quickly on all machines

i'll boot up my machine at home and check that, it does not have EUcon on it, but it does have licenced software

Danny Field

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 12:46 am

Mmm. Thank you everyone for the responses.

I timed it today and it took 10 minutes just to get through the 'Looking for Control Surface' and then the rest such as 'Fairlight' and 'Color' loaded up in 3 seconds each.

I haven't done a lot of troubleshooting as yet. Heard some other people had the same issue and a reboot fixed it, but it hasn't worked for me.

Just seems really weird as it never took longer than 30 seconds with Resolve 14. And I've not added any device or anything to the system.

Todd Groves

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 1:24 am

I don't have a surface, either. Resolve launches fine for me. Maybe its in the preference settings. Just a guess.

Dermot Shane

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 2:58 pm

follow up, no issues on my machine at home either, it does not have EUcon installed, it is the studio version

Danny Field

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 am

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have a solid look now. Looking through the logs now, as well as the preferences.

Just seems really odd. In the logs it shows

10:02:12 | Running Fairlight
10:02:12 | socket failed to connect to server, error: 10061

then ten minutes later in the log haha

10:12:47 | Creating shared OpenGl

Though interesting enough, it states 'The DaVinci Resolve Panels setup application is not compatible with this version of Resolve.

Anyhoo, I'll keep looking for the issue and hope it's possible fixed in the next version.... Or I'll just wait ten minutes for it to load each time.... At least it's working.

Godahfm

PostMon May 28, 2018 8:48 am

Hi,
I have the same issues as Danny, in my case the program stops booting even for a longer time, around 15 minutes.
So if there is a solution it would be nice to hear about it.
Thank you in advance.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 30, 2018 9:54 am

Can you provide a link to the logs?
We doubt its the panels.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Danny Field

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 3:30 am

No worries. I'll post a log now as every update has been doing the same thing. Never happened with Resolve 14, and I've changed nothing within my PC. Two logs there, one created within Resolve, and the other one from creating a zip file within the directory [just the txt file].

https://drive.google.com/open?id=101QJJ ... GL8i9a7ol6

The main issue is the delay as seen here:
[0x000050f0] | SyManager | ERROR | 2018-06-09 12:55:31,566 | DRIVER: panel connection failed
[0x000050f0] | SyManager | ERROR | 2018-06-09 12:55:32,567 | socket failed to connect to server, error: 10061
[0x00004ae4] | UI.GLContext | INFO | 2018-06-09 13:17:21,096 | Creating shared OpenGL context for this thread (2 total).

Hope this helps and we can 'resolve' this strange issue.

easycass

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 am

Hi, while I do not have the 10 or 15 minutes delay as the above users have reported, I do get about 10 to 15 seconds of delay while starting up. It is tolerable, but, like one user above, I cannot fathom why it is even looking for a control surface when I have 'None' selected in preferences. Be nice to have just a little bit sharper startup time... :)

Anyone know why it is even looking for control surfaces if I have that option deselected?
Cass Cassim
Photographer / World Traveller

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cassimages/

Win 10 Pro 64 v 1903-18362.329 - DaVinci Studio v 15.3.1.003
i7-7700HQ 32GB / GTX1070 MaxQ 8GB Nvidia 436.15

quarryman

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 6:19 pm

I had the same problem.I ran CCleaner and found I had duplicate files.I deleted the duplicate files and now Resolve opens in a matter of a few seconds.

Danny Field

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 4:15 am

quarryman wrote:I had the same problem.I ran CCleaner and found I had duplicate files.I deleted the duplicate files and now Resolve opens in a matter of a few seconds.

Interesting. I'm gonna try that now. Maybe when I installed Resolve 15 over 15, it caused the issue there.

Thanks

EDIT : Nope. Didn't work at all. Didn't find any duplicated files. Ran the cleaner, and reg, but still sitting on the 'Looking for Control Surface'

easycass

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 am

Hi there, I had written previously that I see a small few seconds delay, but nothing long like what you are seeing.

Have you tried creating a new user account of Admin status, and running from that new account. It is a good way to test software with a fairly clean user-registry setup...

Just an idea ;)
Cass Cassim

Micha Clazing

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 9:09 am

You know, that delay would be a lot more tolerable if there were an openly documented interface for the Panel Daemons so we could devise our own hardware interfaces without resorting to AutoHotKey or ControllerMate. *hint* *hint*

Albert Hofmann

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 pm

See possible solution in this other thread: Re: 20 minute start up for Resolve Studio 15. (the control surface is innocent)

Danny Field

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 2:00 am

Thank you Albert

I replied to the other thread of mine. I actually don't have any network drives installed. Simple machine, all internal hard drives.

@ Micha Yeah, the delay is getting worse. Like I'd be ok with 15 seconds, but 20 minutes is a pain. 15 crashes more and freezes more than 14. I don't even have any panels installed, so it shouldn't be sitting on there for 10 minutes.

@ easycass - I'll tried that and didn't seem to work. Might try safe mode tonight and see if that somehow gets around it. It doesn't make any sense. All previous versions of Resolve worked without a single issue. I never even had a crash once. Install 15 beta 1 and long load up time. beta 1 was 10 minutes, and now it's 10 minutes stuck on splash screen, and then 10 minutes of sitting there [no splash] until the project window appears. Really strange.

Danny Field

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:20 am

UPDATE:

I uninstalled everything Blackmagic [Resolve, Fairlight, etc] based. Ran CCCleaner to clean everything.

Rebooted and installed Resolve Studio 14.3. Took 16 seconds to boot to the project window, compared to 20 minutes with 15.0

I had a look at the log and it still shows the Error 10061 relating to the 'socket failed to connect'. So I don't know. Guess I'll stay on Resolve 14.3 for a long while.

As a side note - for Resolve 14, I didn't install PostgreSQL 9.5.4-1, even though I had uninstalled it. Not sure if it is needed. Visual C++ 2013 and 2010 were still installed. I also installed the Panels even though I don't have any.

easycass

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 am

That is good news at least.

May I ask, have you tried the same process prior to installing v 15; as in, uninstalling, running your clean-up software, etc, then installing exactly the same items as you have now? I noted that also one may have to uninstall the panel application separately...

Just a thought, as it would be a shame to miss out on the v 15 update...

Bets of luck,
Cass.
Cass Cassim

Micha Clazing

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 10:07 am

Danny Field wrote:As a side note - for Resolve 14, I didn't install PostgreSQL 9.5.4-1, even though I had uninstalled it. Not sure if it is needed. Visual C++ 2013 and 2010 were still installed. I also installed the Panels even though I don't have any.

Postgres only needs to be installed if you intend to run a project database locally on your workstation, instead of using the standard disk DB or connecting to a remote database server.

Danny Field

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 1:33 pm

@ easycass - I kinda did. To a semi degree. I did uninstall one of the beta's along with the other BM stuff (Even Media Express) but didn't CCleaner. I semi started fresh, but with a backup of my projects and such. I could try again, but I found 14 to be fully what I needed. Maybe one day when I have time, I'll look into 15 again.

@ Micha Yeah, I had Postgres installed previously with 14. I didn't need it, but 14 still ran fine with it. So I wasn't completely sure. I just mentioned it, in case one of the dev's thought that it might be the cause of my Resolve 15 boot time. The more info they have, the better in solving this crazy load time. I even mentioned once about having a dongle. But turns out people were able to run it smoothly with one. Heck, even the firewall settings had a look through, in case it was being blocked.

janrifelj

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 am

I had same problems with loading Resolve, after updating GPU, everything worked perfectly.

ambergris

PostSat May 18, 2019 7:23 pm

janrifelj wrote:I had same problems with loading Resolve, after updating GPU, everything worked perfectly.

Same situation here. I was unable to get past the "Looking for Control Surface" portion at all until I updated GPU.

It loads fine now.

Thanks for the tip.

Danny Field

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 9:07 am

Update:

This is mainly for those that may find this post in the near future and have the same issues.

After some many revisions to Resolve and having them all fail - I'm so happy to say that Resolve 16 beta 4 works. Boot up time is like 15 seconds all up.

if you are using Norton's 360

The possible fix was when installing I disabled the Smart Firewall. This step is what I was always doing and it never worked. But the thing I did next was something new. In the Firewall Settings and the Intrusion and Browser Protection, I turned off 'Intrusion Prevention'. Just for 15 minutes, enough to install Resolve 16 b4 and to open it.

I noticed this the other day when a program wasn't able to communicate to external servers, and seeing that the logs were always stuck on 'socket failed to connect' for like 20 minutes. Not sure if this is just a fluke or if Norton's was in fact blocking it. I've seen been able to open Resolve no worries now, without disabling the 'Intrusion Prevention'.

One last bit - I simply installed Resolve 16 b4 over Resolve 14. I didn't install the Fairlight or Control Panels.

So far, no issues, no crashes, all runs very smoothly.

jonfletch

PostSat Jun 22, 2019 12:39 pm

I had the same issue. I have a corsair headphone stand that plugs in via USB. As soon as i unplugged it resolve started acting like normal. Whats strange is that i have been using the same set up before with no problems. Problems only began when i switched my motherboard and CPU.

violator_uk

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 7:11 pm

In my case it was a webcam... I have noticed that during the boot time resolve was initiating webcam build in MICROPHONE.

I am still investigating, this is a massive problem. I had even installed windows again as I was going nuts having i9 processor NVme and had to wait 10min to start the program.

violator_uk

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 4:22 pm

So after investigating, formatting HDD, installing new windows I have discovered that the problem in my case was USB 3.1 hub making Resolve being stuck on 'Looking For Control Surface'.

It looks the problem is with Davinci looking for something particular in USB ports and being stuck there.
Solution: Disconnect everything from your USB and try again.

David_es

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 5:02 pm

I had the same problem, almost 20 minutes looking for Surface Control.
Now it opens in 10 seconds.
I think this could help people without a control surface in W10.
I simply uninstalled DaVinci and installed it again, but now without installing panels, keyboards (and without cleaning software or disconnecting USB devices, disconnecting network drives or creating new users).
That was it.

kwsim539

PostWed Jan 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Problem Solved: Uninstalled all of the Davinci apps and reinstalled them, minus the Panel & Keyboard apps and Davinci started right up. I didn't need to run any cleaner or restart my computer, (W10).

ronmca

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 3:16 am

Unfortunately I am still suffering from the dreaded long boot - looking for control surface.
I tried all of the remedies offered here but to no avail.
I disconnected all network drives, removed my audio control surfaces, removed a number of dongles and an iLok, updated the GPU drivers, disabled various audio drivers (Nvidia, Realtek) and I run Resolve as Administrator.
I then went backwards to revisions to 14.3.1 before I Resolve to work properly.
As a newbie 14.3.1 is great, but it would be nice to work with the latest version.
I am using Windows 10 Pro which is up to date.
My audio is Sonic Core Scope XITE-1. This does cause the odd problem with some sequencers from time to time. I think the drivers may be getting a little old now.
Any advice as to what to try next would be appreciated
regards
ronmca

TechManiacHD

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 11:28 am

Hi guys!

I am loosing my patient here and need some help :cry:
I have nearly finished project but it takes ages for Resolve to boot or to switch between projects. It's about 20 minutes to go from one project to second, and currently I am swapping between 3 open projects as it is needed in this case.

I am running Studio 16.1.2.
- I've reinstalled Resolve.
- Reinstalled NVIDIA drivers from Game to Studio
- Uninstalled Kaspersky Antivirus
- Turned off Windows Defender
- Cleaned registry with CC Cleaner

XenonBL

PostSat May 09, 2020 3:03 pm

I was getting 5 minute load times for Davinci Resolve 16.2.1. What fixed it for me was uninstalling everything DaVinci Resolve, reinstalling (including panels, doesn't seem to matter), and then, the most important step, REMOVING A USB TYPE C MULTI PORT DEVICE

With the USB device removed it takes 30 seconds to load resolve. With the device attached it takes a about twice that time. Still much better than the 5 minutes it was before. But it is completely reproducible, if the USB device is plugged in, double the load time, take it out and it's back to 30 seconds.

I'd still like it to load quicker. 30 seconds still seems sluggish, though usable. I see other people with 15 second load times and am jealous. I have Resolve installed on an internal SSD.

The USB device is one of those multi port off brand thinks with 4K hdmi port, some USB 3 and 2 ports and a couple SD and micro SD card slots. Super useful and it does NOT affect load times for any other software I use.
Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core, 128GB RAM, EVGA FTW Ultra RTX 3090 24 GB

Mwelzen

PostMon May 25, 2020 6:54 pm

I had no problems on my two work stations at the office.
However, now with covid-19 I wanted to work from home and rebuild an old workstation. After a fresh install I had this bug.
Finally found the solution: for me it was the audio card, an onboard creative x-fi.
When I disabled it (windows key-x > device manger), resolve started within 15 seconds.
Audio on nvidia hdmi worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

flanby77

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 10:27 am

Had the same issue (win10, DVR 16.2.2), loading took around 10min+ After trying a lot of things i reinstalled windows 10 and still had very long boot times.
Then i disabled Automatically display attached local and network storage locations in DaVinchi Resolve > Preferences > Media Storage (System). Now DVR loads way faster (within seconds).

ggaston

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 8:23 pm

Thanks flanby77. Turning off the "Automatically display attached local and network storage locations" seems to have worked for me. Also, before making this preference change in Resolve, I was only able to launch the program by right-clicking on it and choosing "Run as administrator."

Midori-UK

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 1:00 pm

I had same problem (hanging during 'Looking for Control Surface...'). As a stills photographer I have only a Win10 Pro 64 desktop & mouse, plus a Wacom Tablet which was mostly disconnected.

I recal that "Windows Ink" application had upset my Wacom Tablet properties previously therefore I re-disabled Windows Ink as I never use it. I guessed that Win10 updates had re-enabled Windows Ink as I was occasionally seeing their Windows Ink Icon. Windows Ink Group Policlies has 3 settings (disable/not configured/enable). Since I use my Wacom Tablet only for use with Photoshop I reset it back from Not Configured to Disabled. DVR starts as normal again !

Jetman

PostFri Nov 06, 2020 4:20 pm

Tried everything of the above. No success. If blackmagic is not solving this problem, I m gonna have to stick with adobe - unfortunately, because I do like resolve very much. But just cant work like so...

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 06, 2020 7:13 pm

How long is it hanging?

If you have any USB connected audio headsets, like a Corsair Void Pro, that can cause a long launch delay. Try removing anything like that to see if it helps.

USB HDMI capture dongles can also cause launch delays.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

RazielDERF

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 2:56 am

I continue to have this issue as well. Nothing seems to be fixing my delay. It also seems to affect the performance while I am using Resolve as well (once I finally get in).

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 8:26 pm

I experienced long boot time yesterday in Windows 10. Like other users Resolve Studio V16 got stuck at looking for control surfaces. I reinstalled which didn't help.

Then I realized that before this slowdown I took my file server offline. It seems to be back to how it used to be now that the server is up and running. It's still not super fast though. But I also have three other samba shares that are offline. I kind of don't want to delete them because I use them from time to time.

Could it be that Resolve hangs up at launch when it encounters an ofline SMB share?
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

alarosa83

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 9:04 pm

Hi, I am having the same issue when I try to open Davinci Resolve 16 (Dell, Windows 10), it gets stuck on “Looking for Control Surface”. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program. I have also tried (as others on this thread have suggested) it without installing the panels and keyboard apps. I can’t figure out how to change the preference settings. I have the same issue with Resolve 17 beta. Here’s a link to my log: dropbox.com/s/wfo72lcbvn6hc69/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210101_145813.zip?dl=0. Thank you for your help!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 8:02 am

Also need a Windows System Information .NFO file.

Open System Information, and select File - Save to create the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Teriander

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 8:23 pm

I'm encountering the same issue as you guys are. 15 mins on the splash screen and still nothing. This is ridiculous.

I've tired everything you guys have tried. Nothing works. The only USB objects I have connected now are my keyboard, headphones, and Wacam tablet. No luck.

No reason I should disconnect any of those just to use video editing software. I was looking forward to our company transitioning to DaVinci Resolve from Adobe, but they're not interested in 15 min loading screens without an obvious solution. Unfortunately, have no choice but to stick with Adobe After Effects and Premiere. They work just fine.

Come on guys, you're into version 17 beta of this program and it appears this problem has been around for several versions. Users who can't get past the splash screen should be priority one.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 12:34 am

If you have certain audio devices that are USB connected to your system, that can cause this sort of issue.

So as a test, disconnect ALL USB devices, except a standard USB connected mouse and keyboard, and see if that solves the issue.
Dwaine Maggart

Teriander

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 5:33 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:If you have certain audio devices that are USB connected to your system, that can cause this sort of issue.

So as a test, disconnect ALL USB devices, except a standard USB connected mouse and keyboard, and see if that solves the issue.

I disconnected all USB devices and audio devices except for my mouse, keyboard, and Wacom tablet. The problem still exist. Gave up letting it load after 3 minutes of waiting....

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 11:26 pm

Then the next thing would be to try disabling the firewall to see if that has an effect.
Dwaine Maggart

Teriander

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 12:50 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Then the next thing would be to try disabling the firewall to see if that has an effect.

I would likely have to receive IT permission to do that. Any chance you guys can fix it in the program itself? Why do 100% of my other programs load beyond the splash screen and doesn't require me to alter the firewall status, but Resolve does not?

Unreal Engine
3ds Max
Revit
All Adobe Products
ZBrush
Anima
Quixel Products
Perforce
etc...

No problems going beyond a splash screen.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 5:21 am

There are a range of things to try if removing USB devices doesn't help.

Turning off the firewall would be the next one. If you are IT constrained in such testing, I have nothing else to suggest.

The dev team is aware of these issues and they will be addressed in time, if possible.
Dwaine Maggart

Jason Tackaberry

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 6:07 pm

Even just an option to disable control surfaces would be a welcome stopgap. 80% of my startup time for Resolve is looking for control surfaces I don't have.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve