audio problems

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

audio problems

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 2:35 pm

I just finished a project in premiere. it was the finetuning of a concert, 9 cameras, 6 audio tracks (few different mix channels, multiple audience angles)

I had some time left and tried to rebuild the edit in the new resolve 15, for testing sake, but i immediately stumbled on a problem. the audio.

i created a multicam timeline of all the ISO's (6 video, 6 audio) and placed this timeline into the ''main'' timeline. as expected, a 1 layer clip with a 1 layer audio (upper video layer showing, and a mix of the 6 audio channels) looks fine at first glance, but this is what happens when i open up the multicam timeline:

when i play at a random timecode, the audio is just messed up in every way. i cant really describe what is happening. i hear some channels stutter, some only left, some only right. totally random. dips in the volume. there's no way i can edit this way.

it's a multicam timeline with 6 angles and audio tracks, but it also happens when i solo a audio/video track.

when i go back to the ''main'' timeline, it plays back fine again. but i cant really say i have faith in the rest of the process when it comes to adding more and more audio layers.

my video playback is fine. im using a decklink mini monitor HD, and the audio is routed trough my flanders monitor to my genelec speakers for achieving almost zero-latency.

i tried googling the problem and saw some topics about it, but that was long ago (v12), is this still not fixed?

Jim Simon

Re: audio problems

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 2:52 pm

One difference I found between Premiere Pro and Resolve is that it's best to keep your audio out of the multicam timeline in Resolve. Create the multicam only with the camera media, then add your separately recorded audio under that in the main timeline.

It just works better.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 am

that seem to work a little better thank you. still not ideal but it works for now i guess.

next issue: i cant see my waveforms. when i ''activate'' them in the timeline view options, they just don't appear. i left the pc on last night to give it some time, but still no result.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:18 pm

I've not experienced that on either of my two systems. Sorry.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 am

I tested it on a new Imac pro, had similar problems. also with ''simple'' 2 channel mxf HD clips in a regular HD timeline. after 10 sec of playing it sounds okay, but the first 10 secs are kind of
unreliable. also after rerouting and disabling the blackmagic decklink.

so the same problem on 2 +-10.000$ systems.

no one else?

Sam Steti

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 7:36 am

Hey,
I'm regularly into multicams (from 3 to 7 cams) and I "made it work" my way months after months since say 2016...
Same opinion here : first, keep your final audios out of the ISO; just keep muted cam audios for safety reasons (in case of resync for example).
Therefore I cannot share a relevant opinion on the rest of your concerns.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve