Mini Converter SDI Distribution Stopped Working

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author
Oakguy

Mini Converter SDI Distribution Stopped Working

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 1:54 pm

I have a Mini Converter SDI Distribution unit in the attic of one of our buildings that appears to have stopped working around a year later. The power light is on and the device is warm. Strange since we use many of these in the same configuration. I'm wondering if I exceeded environmental specs such as temperature? Attics obviously can get very warm. Thoughts? HDMI to SDI at 720 signal outputted to 6 SDI to HDMI converters.

thanks
Guy

Eric-Jan

Re: Mini Converter SDI Distribution Stopped Working

PostSun Sep 02, 2018 7:18 am

First check, if all software settings are correct,
Maybe a cable is damaged ? check this, the unit is using an external power source ? check if this still okay.
You have more of this same units ? switch the units of location, and check if the fault moves with it, or replace the faulty unit, with a new one as a last resort, because you deducted all possible other faults.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Xtreemtec

PostSun Sep 02, 2018 10:57 am

First take a small monitor with you and chack if there is still a valid signal on the cable feeding the distribution..

Repower the unit.. Eric suggestion about software is not in play here.. There is no software regarding the SDI distribution..

Extra heated enviroments can lead to defects in the hardware.. Which can stop a device from functioning..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Eric-Jan

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 8:18 am

Yes, overheating is possible i did not mention it because it already was mentioned in the question.
In some cases, it matters how the setup sequence is, maybe there has been an power failure, and it matters how devices power-up, most times devices close to the computer/master device, neeeds to startup/connected first, and then from there onwards, but this is only when there are no other faults, this is only a guess from me, from my general experience working with computers and external devices.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started