Digital zoom in Atem 1ME 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Hicham Rahbaoui

Digital zoom in Atem 1ME 4k

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi everyone

I want to purchase an atem 1me 4k and want to know if it's possible to zoom in the image (4k) by scaling it over 100%. The idea is to have a large shot and close-up with the same camera. With my atem hd the scale limit is 100%.

Thanks

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Digital zoom in Atem 1ME 4k

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 12:44 am

Hello Hicham. Yes, you can zoom in quite a bit on the ATEM 1ME Production Studio 4K.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Hicham Rahbaoui

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 1:06 am

Thanks Gary
You have an idea how much approximately you can zoom without loosing definition? 120% ... 150% .... ?

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 5:18 pm

0%
by definition you cannot digitally zoom without losing definition.

How much quality loss you can cope with is subjective. It will largely depend on how clean the source image is. A noisy camera image with lots of gain will zooms less well than something which is super clean.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Hicham Rahbaoui

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 9:03 pm

I was wondering if it's used with a 4k source and only hd output, it could be possible to scale up the image, as we do in editing.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Wont work.. The atem can only run in 1 resolution and framerate..

So your output is HD as is the input.. Cant put in 4K and out HD. (At least not in that way..)
What you are asking for is a KMU-100 http://www.datavideo.com/product/KMU-100
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Hicham Rahbaoui

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 2:25 pm

The Atem 1ME 4k has a down converted output. So you can for example diffuse on a large screen (4k image) and stream with an HD device in same time.
The KMU-100 is really awsome. It's exactly what i was looking for.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Yes it has a HD output.. But this is a scaled output of the 4K output if the atem is running 4K. So you wont gain anything ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ymeyer

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 8:36 am

Do you find an answer for your question ? - I'm very interested in because of the limitation of 1,00 magnification limit ATEM 2 ME too. With best regards. Yannick

Digicast

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Digital zoom through ATEM is a good plan.
We have used this in a live environment to replace having to use a long studio lens. We use a URSA broadcast 4K camera with a 17x lens with doubler, then run it into the ATEM 2ME as 4K. Setup the upstream key using DVE, and set the size to 200%, (you can set the position here to, which can give the option to toggle the key on and off to give medium closeup and closeup shots).
Use the HD scaled output from the ATEM 2ME. We feed that shot back to the camera with an external monitor to aid framing.

David Hutchinson

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Digicast wrote:Digital zoom through ATEM is a good plan.
We have used this in a live environment to replace having to use a long studio lens. We use a URSA broadcast 4K camera with a 17x lens with doubler, then run it into the ATEM 2ME as 4K. Setup the upstream key using DVE, and set the size to 200%, (you can set the position here to, which can give the option to toggle the key on and off to give medium closeup and closeup shots).
Use the HD scaled output from the ATEM 2ME. We feed that shot back to the camera with an external monitor to aid framing.

Or to keep all your inputs in HD put the 4K signal through a Teranax AV and use that to zoom. you'll have 1-2 frame delay - but you'll also have 1 frame using DVE.

Using the Teranex is my preferred method as it's scaler is of a higher quality than the DVE. If you want to
keep everything as 4K you can use the loop out and upscale although you will see some degradation.

Return to Live Production