External Query of Multiuser Database?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dan Michael Hodges

External Query of Multiuser Database?

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 1:38 pm

For a single organization I'm wondering about setting up a single project with ongoing assets being added by multiple Librarian/Curators users (some possibly through automation via Python?) as both an Edit and media management system. After all, it's just an SQL database as is most other media management databases and with Python APIs and fusion integration it seems that there are a lot of possibilities of automation in this regard.

The main idea is that there could be external SQL queries to the database to allow for custom media management tools with Resolve still being the centralize hub where traditional manual edits could be performed.

I'm coming from Nuke Studio and Nuke where custom automation is normal and somewhat required so please let me know if this is off base by Resolve standards.

My main question is if the new multi-user projects introduced in Resolve 14 are no longer SQL based or if there is reason to believe that SQL is going to go away.

Obviously BMD could change certain aspects of the database structure at anytime but the idea of media queries should be somewhat straightforward to keep up to date as long a true database is going to stay as part of their model.

Thoughts?
HARDWARE: 2X Intel Xeon X5680 with 48GB Ram
GRAPHICS: Geforce GTX980Ti v384.69
PLAYBACK: SDI 4K

Dan Michael Hodges

Re: External Query of Multiuser Database?

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 12:01 pm

OK. So I think the answer is yes to multi user and the continued use of PostgreSQL based Database.

The real question becomes:

How realistic would it be to, for instance, allow a clip to be imported and logged into a Resolve database via either PostgreSQL or Lua/Python?

I realize that this may be a tech support type question but I don't want to presume that this sort of customization isn't already (at least database communication) taking place in studio environments.
HARDWARE: 2X Intel Xeon X5680 with 48GB Ram
GRAPHICS: Geforce GTX980Ti v384.69
PLAYBACK: SDI 4K

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 am

We plan to continue to use PostGreSQL but dont currently have plans for user direct access into the DB. v15 offers scripting via Lua and Python, details in the app, help, dev documentation, and so clip addition, change etc is via that process with Resolve running.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 am

I've done direct DB access. It's not too difficult to read. Writing is trickier. I was able to replace an on-screen title content for example. But, it's very hackish and it's very easy to corrupt the DB.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Return to DaVinci Resolve