Blackmagic RAW

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Blackmagic RAW

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Christopher Dobey wrote:So the ProRes RAW deal fell through?

Just messing around! Thank you so much Blackmagic for catering to us who enjoy shooting in RAW and give a hoot about extracting every drop of quality from our files.

Probably. Some small Apple "impact" left as BM RAW uses MOV container :)
Performance is good, just watch this look file. If it's there Resolve gets confused and assigns color space to BMD Film (even if project is set to Bypass), which causes double conversion. You need Bypass setting in order to get look from sidecar file. If you want pure LOG look you have to delete sidecar file.

So many people were seeing no problems with DNG RAW- now they seems to be so excited :D
It decodes way easier and makes editing much easier. DNG RAW is now where it should be years ago- in the bin.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:58 pm

I was just on a job with my UM46k in a huge borrow pit when I looked at my phone and saw I got an email from Grant titled "Blackmagic RAW" - that got me so excited I had to break shooting and read all about it :D

This will be a game changer for my work flow.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

ThomMills

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:13 pm

Just watched Grant's video on the new BRAW. Looks very promising. Like many others here, I hope to see this available for the 4.6 URSA Mini soon.

Ric Murray

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:15 pm

I have downloaded and installed the camera update and R 15.1. At 800 ISO 12:1 compression, shadow areas are creamy and clean, much improved to my eye. 256G Cfast Card holds 114 minutes of 12:1 footage!
Creativity is the ability to accept ambiguity.

Willem Timmersma

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:19 pm

Awesome update! It really feels like a new camera. Definitely a great improvement! Camera and workflow wise!

However, I noticed some hot pixels after I installed the beta (green/white pixels popping up and disappearing). Rolled back to 5 and all seems fine.

When I installed the beta for a second time the hot pixels came back again unfortunately. Rolled back again and all seems fine.

It could be my camera? I sure hope not. Reported it with some frames.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:22 pm

singinkang wrote:So far it looks great. Shot a clip at 1600 ISO to see if there's a difference in the FPN on the UMP, and it's definitely improved. Only minor downside I've seen thus far is that when shooting .BRAW, any resolution aside from 4.6K is automatically windowed, with no option disable sensor windowing.

it's a raw, every time you work with raw the resolution different from native sensor is windowed, like in arri, red.

Wayne Steven

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Dan Keeble wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:What, Raw released at IBC. I was hoping to see the pocket there?

They have a lot of Pocket 4K cameras here, if that helps.

They actually released to public. I was wondering why everybody went so quiet. It's funny they came to IBC and hadn't put out a camera shipping article.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:28 pm

John Richard wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you BM!
Another side benefit is now we won't need a beast of a computer to efficiently edit and grade with.
And BRAW breathes longer life into our existing workstations/laptops.
Wonderful!

The new NVIDIA Turing GPU cards would probably also go with that (but I notice that BM has used a Radeon in its Macpro looking external GPU, which is a lot cheaper than buying a Macpro).
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

singinkang

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:it's a raw, every time you work with raw the resolution different from native sensor is windowed, like in arri, red.

Ah, that makes sense. Until now, I haven't used raw because of the data consumption and the workflow with compressed raw. Thanks!

Philip Lipetz

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Alex Garland wrote:This is huge, but if they make this available on the Pro, I don't see why not to the 4.6K at the same time. Is the hardware that different?

The demo video shows 4.6K working

Philip Lipetz

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:01 pm

John Richard wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you BM!
Another side benefit is now we won't need a beast of a computer to efficiently edit and grade with.
And BRAW breathes longer life into our existing workstations/laptops.
Wonderful!

Yes, I work for a nonprofit. Now we can put our budget into cameras and lights, not replacing our old cheesegrater Mac Pros. BMD just sold at least three cameras, and probably much more
Last edited by Philip Lipetz on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pprokhor

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:09 pm

This looks amazing! 4.6k DNG was never smooth to edit with. Hoping for a URSA Mini 4.6k support, like everyone else ;)
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G4015)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB (eGPU)
Database (PostgreSQL) and media are on QNAP via T3, NFS.

Albert Du Plessis

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Just did a quick test with one of the new braw files. Amazing. What has me excited is the file sizes, braw 246MB, ProRess 422- 424MB, 422HQ- 760MB, 4444- 826MB. That means one should be able to record longer in RAW on existing media than in ProRess. Why oh why would you not shoot in RAW all the time in future. This is HUGE, the quality improvements in my footage are going to be staggering.

Stewart Fairweather

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Just from the limited information so far, this does seem to be a much more useable format then ProResRaw - it's more like BMD kept all the desirable elements of CineDNG, but got rid of the awkward file handling issues.

What I'd love to know, is whether this can be applied within an external recorder, to record the Raw outputs from other manufacturers cameras?

I know I represent a very small buying group, as one of the few Aja Cion owners,... When it comes to Raw Recording, we got shafted by both Atomos and Convergent Design, with Cion User Group members buying hardware those two companies claimed would get Raw support, that was never delivered.

This leaves us looking for other solutions. A Raw Recorder that could take the inputs from Aja, Arri, Canon, Sony, Panasonic and other brands cameras, and record to this new format that's not tied to one NLE and one brand of recorders,.. I'd think that would be a very popular piece of kit.

Having the information on colourspace and sensor setting in the sidecar files has got to make things easier when moving projects between post-production applications.

Mark Grgurev

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:31 pm

singinkang wrote:Only minor downside I've seen thus far is that when shooting .BRAW, any resolution aside from 4.6K is automatically windowed, with no option disable sensor windowing.

That's because it's RAW. There's no such thing as a super-sampled RAW.

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:38 pm

robert Hart wrote:What's the chances of this becoming available on the original BM4K cinema camera, the "big" URSA 4K and the URSA Mini 4K?

Not likely, but who knows down the road, will depend on the processor in the camera if it can even be done. BM Raw is being rolled out for the Ursa Mini Pro first, then later for the new Pocket 4K, according to BM. Adding it to the older cameras is uncertain, and is just speculation right now. ;)

We will have to wait until the current roll out is completed, which is just in Beta right now on the UM Pro.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

michaeldhead

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Stewart Fairweather wrote:What I'd love to know, is whether this can be applied within an external recorder, to record the Raw outputs from other manufacturers cameras?

I kind of doubt it in the current crop of BMD recorders based on how Grant Petty described the processing in his official announcement. A large part of the computing power for Braw is done in the camera - if a recorder can get a raw signal, it can be recorded into any format: see Atomos.

But I highly doubt the existing BMD Video Assist recorders have the processing power to encode BMDraw (yeah..I like that name better). If they ever update the Video Assists, then I'm sure BMDraw will be included, but I highly doubt it would be added to the current units (but I could be wrong).
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Ottogarza

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Philip Lipetz wrote:
Alex Garland wrote:This is huge, but if they make this available on the Pro, I don't see why not to the 4.6K at the same time. Is the hardware that different?

The demo video shows 4.6K working

which demo video? I understand is not for the not PRO version!

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Yes, the bottom line is the Raw codec (which is camera specific) has to be enabled on the recorder, as well as in the camera (only BM camera that currently has a Raw output is the unsupported Micro Studio Camera). Since BM cameras record Raw internally, I do not see BM adding this to a VA for other cameras, at least not until the exclusive deal Atomos has with Sony and Panasonic has expired.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Stewart Fairweather wrote:Just from the limited information so far, this does seem to be a much more useable format then ProResRaw - it's more like BMD kept all the desirable elements of CineDNG, but got rid of the awkward file handling issues.

What I'd love to know, is whether this can be applied within an external recorder, to record the Raw outputs from other manufacturers cameras?

It has not much to do with DNG RAW, which is very outdated and crap.
Nothing stops implementation in recorders (well BM could if they wanted to).

SkierEvans

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Is the data rate low enough to record to SD cards?
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

DorisLondon

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Oh yes!! Smaller file sizes. Great BRAW images, Less processing power requirements from my already over burdened PC. Basically a much more economical, higher quality and faster workflow. This is why I bought a BM product for my film making. I'll say it again. Thank you BM techs. You inspire creativity!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Philip Lipetz

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:59 pm

SkierEvans wrote:Is the data rate low enough to record to SD cards?

Several reports, include Kolhi I think, of recording to old 95Mbs UHS-I San Disk cards at lower bit rates.

Chris Gosling

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:05 pm

What I posted in the other thread about SD cards....

Chris Gosling wrote:Tested using older SanDisk Extreme Pro SD cards. 95MB/s. Same as I used in BMPCC.

Recorded 4.6K at 8:1, 12:1, Q0 & Q5 no problem what so ever.

Now I will say that I didn't test Q0 on any taxing subjects - so it might break down on these cards if the compression requirements change.

Li Chenghan

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Can Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K use Blackmagic RAW?
12-Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X, 3700 MHz (37 x 100)
Asus ROG Strix X399-E Gaming
GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G
G.SKILL DDR4-3200 CL16 32G
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 1909
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K/BRAW 3:1 5:1

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Yes, at some point as BM Raw is being rolled out for the Ursa Mini Pro first, then later for the new Pocket 4K, according to BM. Adding it to the older cameras is uncertain and is just speculation right now. ;)

We will have to wait until the current roll out is completed, which is just in Beta right now on the UM Pro.
We need to be careful and not put the cart in front of the horse.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Hundo Hill

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:09 pm

BM RAW... BRAW... They should call it "BLACK CODE" why not?! :D

William McGough

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 pm

I have to say the test clips are looking phenomenal and their performance on a laptop is simply unreal.

I was on the fence between getting an EOS R or BMPCC4K as a B-cam/more portable option to my C200. (BMPCC4K + Speedbooster is about the same cost as the EOS R body.)

After trying out the Blackmagic Raw demo clips, my decision was made. As much I love Canon's DualPixel Autofocus for run-and-gun, the amazing (and now lightweight) codecs of Blackmagic won me over and I placed my preorder for the BMPCC4K.

To the Blackmagic team: thank you for your aggressive openness and for relentlessly pushing the industry on both the hardware + software fronts and making your innovations widely accessible. You are a force for good in your industry.
Resolve Studio × Micro Panel, MacBook Pro 16" × eGPU (Vega Frontier Edition), Canon C200, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K × Metabones, Pocket Cinema Camera × Metabones, Eizo CG248-4K

Hundo Hill

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:18 pm

Also, will this increase the possibility of higher frame rates?

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Grant says BMD is working with other camera manufacturers... I don't expect this to affect the high end like Red and Venice, but it seems like a much better choice than the closed ProResRaw... plus BMD also got the workflow part right; the SDK approach is the way to go.

Being able to RENDER to BRaw is also a big deal, IMO. That is cool. :)

I guess that does imply the end of Cineform as a mezzanine codec. Oh well, now we have something better :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Kel Philm

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Woke up this morning to find my Cfast cards had more than doubled in size, my PC had increased its thread count and my UMPro has had a sensor upgrade.

Seriously though, nice work BMD.

Alex Garland

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 pm

I'm not getting the BRAW files to display/load on the new version of Resolve. I wonder if it's because it's an integrated Intel HD graphics card.

The previous version displays CinemaDNG files normally, though.

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Alex Garland wrote:I'm not getting the BRAW files to display/load on the new version of Resolve. I wonder if it's because it's an integrated Intel HD graphics card.

The previous version displays CinemaDNG files normally, though.

It's probably due to limitations in the Intel GPU's OpenCL implementation. There's a reason that Intel launched an entire new division dedicated entirely to GPUs... and hired the former Radeon Technologies Group's chief GPU architect. It's due to its current GPUs' mediocrity. :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 pm

May I add my expression of gratitude to BMD for bringing us BRAW? It solves so many issues as have been well documented here by previous individuals. BMD is making it ridiculously easy to produce great work without limitations caused by the technology and the budget. Yes, budgets have also been given a new life. So looking forward to using this upgrade on the BMPCC4K and the URSA Mini 4.6K this fall.

There are many good companies with good leaders in this industry. No doubt many who have a dream and are pursuing it as best they can. But few of them would claim to be driven by a high concept that resonates in us. It goes without saying, I admire Grant Petty and his dream more than any other CEO of a manufacturer. There’s an Oscar for Innovation and Grant has my vote. If there was an Oscar for High Concept, he’d win that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Christopher Dobey

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Blackmagic RAW Player (macOS) appears to be displaying in the sRGB color space and gamma, as I've found that's the only way to match a file rendered in Resolve to it.
Exporting in default Rec. 709 Gamma 2.4 produces a gamma shift as you can see in the photo.

Rendering in sRGB/sRGB Gamma now looks the same as the original RAW file opened in RAW Player but the transfer characteristics are switched to sRGB/sYCC instead BT.709 which could cause issues down the line.

Trying to find a workflow where the unmodified BM RAW file looks the same out of the camera as it does out of Resolve 15 in macOS.
Attachments
RAW Player.jpg
RAW Player.jpg (835 KiB) Viewed 11503 times
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Demetrius Spencer

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 11:04 pm

singinkang wrote:So far it looks great. Shot a clip at 1600 ISO to see if there's a difference in the FPN on the UMP, and it's definitely improved. Only minor downside I've seen thus far is that when shooting .BRAW, any resolution aside from 4.6K is automatically windowed, with no option disable sensor windowing.

Ok I was wondering if my camera was malfunctioning. There's no way to get it out of windowed mode for any other resolutions other than 4.6k?

Jack Fairley

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Demetrius Spencer wrote:Ok I was wondering if my camera was malfunctioning. There's no way to get it out of windowed mode for any other resolutions other than 4.6k?

No. You are recording the raw sensor data. If you are supersampling from more pixels, it can't be raw data.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

rick.lang

Blackmagic RAW

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 11:55 pm

The ProRes in camera downscaling will move from the camera to a be part of the BRAW post workflow if a smaller resolution with the wider angle of view is desired.

Rick Lang

Demetrius Spencer

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 12:35 am

rick.lang wrote:The ProRes in camera downscaling will move from the camera to a be part of the BRAW post workflow if a smaller resolution with the wider angle of view is desired.

Thanks for the clarity!

Ryan Payne

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 12:58 am

Yeah because it's raw, it won't down sample from 4.6k but instead give you an exact 4k or uhd sensor cut otherwise it wouldn't be able to be a raw image.

But I don't see a reason not to shoot 4.6k as the 12:1 ratio will give you file sizes akin to prores HQ but in 1080p!!!! The savings are massive.

Alastair Leith

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 1:16 am

Is BMD RAW an open standard that, say, other camera manufactures can deploy for their own cameras?

I can't see BMD giving away so much research away for nothing to it's competitors, but hopefully will prompt them to consider the advantages.

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 1:34 am

This NEEDS to be rolled out to the 4.6k not just the UMP Pro!!!! :mrgreen:
It's only fair really, same processor, same sensor. Why would they purposely hold it back?

They wouldn't :) :) :) :)

Hope to see it very soon, your loyal user.

jerkwithacamera

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 1:39 am

Hey I performed the 6.0 Camera Update on our Ursa Mini Pro Because I AM SUPER EXCITED TO play with the new Raw, all seemed fine but when the update completed the camera has shut off and will not turn on when plugged in or on Battery. I have removed all the accessories including the Black Magic SSD recorder and i have unplugged the EVF an the only thing still attached to the camera is Nikon F-mount and tried to plug the camera in and still no lights, no screen just black. When plugged back into the USB of my computer I get a message that states "waiting for blackmagic Ursa to turn on" but nothing happens. I am at a loss as to what to do, I have emailed Support, but it is Friday after 5:00pm so I assume that I won't hear anything until Monday at the earliest, any Suggestions?

Jonesy Jones

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 2:30 am

Just wondering if any of the BM reps can verify if there's a flavor of braw that supports an alpha channel. I've always rendered out drag and drop graphics like logo reveals as Prores 444 since it supports alpha. I've been hoping to ditch prores altogether and this could be my solution. My instinct would be that braw has no alpha yet, but would be great if it eventually did.

Matt Thela

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 2:52 am

So are the regular Cinema DNG files that The UMP normally shoots technically better quality then let's say QO, or is their something in the new Blackmagic Raw that increases the quality and lowers Fixed Pattern Noise?
Last edited by Matt Thela on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

michaeldhead

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:16 am

Alastair Leith wrote:Is BMD RAW an open standard that, say, other camera manufactures can deploy for their own cameras?

I can't see BMD giving away so much research away for nothing to it's competitors, but hopefully will prompt them to consider the advantages.

I doubt it, but I could be wrong. I imagine that giving out the SDK on the editing side is a way to make all the consumers/software developers happy while hoping to draw people into the BMD camera family.

I know I'm saving pennys for a UMP, and that's after I preordered the P4k (which will become the b-cam after I get the UMP).
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Dmytro Shijan

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:17 am

If boost extreme shadows from BRAW files FPN is still visible, but seems no more Cross Hatching grid pattern problem there. Need more samples to confirm this.
Attachments
Screen-Shot-2018-09-15-at-6.12.21-AM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2018-09-15-at-6.12.21-AM.jpg (341.93 KiB) Viewed 11404 times
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

giuseppeflandoli

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:20 am

Is there any downside to installing the BRAW update? is it safe for comercial use?
Cinematógrafo
www.giuseppeflandoli.com
Mail: info@giuseppeflandoli.com
Cel: (+593) 98.963.3933

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 7:22 am

Christopher Dobey wrote:Blackmagic RAW Player (macOS) appears to be displaying in the sRGB color space and gamma, as I've found that's the only way to match a file rendered in Resolve to it.
Exporting in default Rec. 709 Gamma 2.4 produces a gamma shift as you can see in the photo.

While that interesting to know, it's not an issue. Any computer desktop video player, including the new one for Blackmagic RAW, is simply a quick way to preview the files on computer screen and not a color managed reference. If you seek a reference image to match against exports, you should be viewing the image out through BMD i/o (Decklink, Ultrastudio, etc.) to a calibrated reference monitor.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Uli Plank

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 7:57 am

As I understood it, you can't encode into BRAW, only trim files that are already BRAW.
Can anybody try? I'm in the middle of a project and don't like to touch a running system.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography