Cinema 4K External Microphone Suggestions?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Demetrius Spencer

Cinema 4K External Microphone Suggestions?

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 1:16 pm

I'm hoping to receive my Cinema 4K camera from Adorama next week. I'm wondering what microphones any of you are considering using outside of the onboard microphones? The footage looks great, but I'm guessing the on camera mics may be ok, but not as good as having a directional shotgun mini for recording run and gun interviews in less than stellar environments. I would like to be able to film live event interviews (red carpet, trade shows, etc) so I'm looking for something that is less prone to background and side area noise. I have Sennheiser and Audio Technica shotguns onboard my UMP, but I would prefer something more compact for the C4K. Ive watched YouTube videos, but most of them are aimed towards vloggers and YouTubers. I would prefer something with a more professional camera such as the C4K in mind like phantom power possibilities, accept mini xlr instead of 3.5mm that most have, pad, etc. Any suggestions other than the Rode Video Pro lines?

Rustam Babayev

Re: Cinema 4K External Microphone Suggestions?

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm going to get Oktava MK-012.

soundholder. com/oktava-mk012-vs-sennheiser-mkh8040

Chris Chiasson

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 2:17 pm

I personally used the Tascam Dr-10sg years ago. Don’t know if they improved it, but the one I got was pretty terrible, unless it was on a tripod. When walking with it, the mic shock mount didn’t do it’s job. I got rocking noises no matter what, so returned it.

Jacek Szwarc-Bronikowski

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Anything wrong with Røde NTG-4 ?
Jacek Szwarc-Bronikowski

Demetrius Spencer

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 1:50 am

The Zoom and Tascam seem like good products, but I was hoping to go with a good mini shotgun mic that will record directly to camera to avoid having to monitor a separate recording system. I'm not sure how good the pre amps are on the C4K, but on my UMP I've often been able to do on the spot interviews with my Sennheiser shotgun mic attached to the top of the camera and it sound good and be useable.

The NTG4 is an amazing mic I'm sure, but if possible I want to go as compact as possible with the C4K as a smaller run and gun setup alternative to my UMP. The NTG4 seems to be larger and like it will stick out passed the camera front by quite a bit. The Rode Video Mic Pro is shorter, but I'm curious of the sound quality.

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 2:26 am

Demetrius Spencer wrote:The Zoom and Tascam seem like good products, but I was hoping to go with a good mini shotgun mic that will record directly to camera to avoid having to monitor a separate recording system. I'm not sure how good the pre amps are on the C4K, but on my UMP I've often been able to do on the spot interviews with my Sennheiser shotgun mic attached to the top of the camera and it sound good and be useable.

The NTG4 is an amazing mic I'm sure, but if possible I want to go as compact as possible with the C4K as a smaller run and gun setup alternative to my UMP. The NTG4 seems to be larger and like it will stick out passed the camera front by quite a bit. The Rode Video Mic Pro is shorter, but I'm curious of the sound quality.

If you want mini, the NTG-1 is very cheap and small, yet very good. Especially good with the Blackmagic Pocket 4K since it can phantom power it. Attach it with a SM3-R and a shoe mount, and you’re good to go with a small setup that uses the XLRs. And can mount it to a boom when you got a boom guy.

Jacek Szwarc-Bronikowski

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 6:23 pm

NTG-1 is only 3 mm (!) shorter than NTG-4.
( 219 mm vs. 222 mm )
NTG-4 seems better.
Jacek Szwarc-Bronikowski

Jacek Szwarc-Bronikowski

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Jacek Szwarc-Bronikowski

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 7:52 pm

plan to use a a Sennheiser ME 64,shorter than the ME66, but still a Cardioid short shotgun type mic, one step down from the ME66.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography