Rigging the BMPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Denny Smith

Re: Rigging the BMPCC4K

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 3:28 pm

When using a setup like this, you really need an EVF to get the camera close into your body. You need to become “one” with thencsmers, to get smooth movements, same principles apply here as with shoulder mounting. You need three points of contact, belt support, your hand and pulling the camera into your eye/head, creates a tripod — you become the tripod. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Marshall Harrington

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 6:30 pm

rick.lang wrote:I hope to find out tomorrow if my budget can manage the Wise Portable SSD that will be shown at IBC2018. In another week it will all be public knowledge but I’m trying to jump ahead in the improbable situation that I get this camera in another week and I need all my ducks lined up. I believe that may handle 4K 60 fps so that’s a good tool to have in the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick how will the Wise SSD line up against the Samsung T5?

rick.lang

Rigging the BMPCC4K

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Just guessing, Marshall. The Wise SSD may be lighter and better suited to continuous cinema recording. The capacity is also smaller topping out at 1TB versus the T5 at 2TB. With BRAW coming to the BMPCC4K, that lower capacity may not be an issue. For example recording at 12:1, you could have 7 hours of recordings although I wouldn’t recommend it for a single record of a long day. I’ve asked for a quote for 500GB. I am nervous about the connection although USB-C 3.1 seems like a tight fit on the desktop. However on a tripod the camera swings about and that may loosen the connection.

I’m not sure if Samsung has published the Write data rate, but the Wise Portable SSD Write speed is up to 520 MB/s “optimized for 4K 60 frame per second.”

For a given project, I tend to record in the highest codec I can manage. With the Wise SDXC 128GB Card, that would be Q5. If I had a more demanding client, then the 1TB SSD will make Q0 feasible. That’s the appeal in a nutshell for using higher capacity drives: not to record longer as much as record better.

Rick Lang

Bunk Timmer

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 7:09 am

Leon Benzakein wrote:I made up a similar system using a mono pod and tool belt worn as a belt.

Nice setup Leon! I might give that a try someday. I also read about someone using a flag carrier if I'm not mistaken ...so we are not alone out there ;)
Eyesight is a problem indeed. I got myself a cheap pair of reading glasses 4+ ...for now that will do.

Marshall Harrington

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Rick, Just got this from Czardas,

Thank you for reaching out. Our portable SSD will be available in mid October with 256GB, 512GB and 1TB capacity. The Blackmagic Design BMPCC 4K certification list may be released soon, and we will be on the list as well.

Regarding video codecs, this SSD will able to handle RAW 4K DCI lossless 30fps, 3:1 60fps and ProRes HQ 60fps without issues.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Not sure what that means for frame rates higher than
30 in straight RAW. On the other hand not sure it really matters with BRAW. Guess we'll be finding out really soon. The 500GB T5's at $100 a pop make a compelling case for data assuming all else being equal. Again we'll see.

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 2:32 pm

Marshall, all good. Normally DCI 4K raw 60 fps would require dual card recording. I’m looking forward to seeing the difference that BRAW Q0 will make. Remember the data rate for that varies with the scene. I wouldn’t be surprised if the media can handle 60 fps for an average scene on a single card! A very complex scene, not likely.

Rick Lang

Joakley

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 4:20 am

I just want to get a v mount plate for this thing and it’s proving to be a pain.

I’ve had two different plates from wooden camera in my B&H wishlist for a while now...and it’s a good thing I didn’t pull the trigger on one.

I asked how I could mount it to my rig...via cheese plate or the rail, or whatever. And apparently I would have to buy additional stuff. An extra couple hundred bucks.

Are there any plates that don’t cost a fortune? I’m not really worried about brand as long as it’s sturdy.

Joakley

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 4:32 am

“Oh, you’ll need to buy the battery slide” (to attach the plate)...another 200 bucks.

I just want a plate that I can stick on my rails. Until now I thought it was just one piece.

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 6:19 am

Nope, it is al la carte’ You buy the battery plate, then add the rail mount kit. If you need a rail mount kit for Anton Bauer or V Lock battery plate, I have a Zacuto setup with rail mount available, PM me.

Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Joakley

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Nope, it is al la carte’ You buynthe battery plate, then add the rail mount kit. If you need a rail mount kit for Anton Bauer or V Lock battery plate, I have a Zacuto setup with rail mount available, PM me.

Cheers

Not sure I’d actually get this one, but what’s up with this?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... A514&smp=Y

What’s the difference between this and the $300 wooden camera plate...and $200 slide?
I’ve never used vmount batteries sothis will be my first purchase.

Joakley

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Or this?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _wcB&smp=Y

This is what I need. But I’m hesitant to buy it.

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 5:47 pm

How do you know that’s what you want when this is the level of specificity in the listing?

[battery plate with power splitter]
(1) x mounting plate
(1) x rod bridge - 15 mm
(1) x battery adapter plate - V-mount
(1) x dummy battery power pack adapter
(4) x power cable

Rick Lang

Joakley

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 7:29 pm

rick.lang wrote:How do you know that’s what you want when this is the level of specificity in the listing?

(1) x mounting plate
(1) x rod bridge - 15 mm
(4) x power cable

I DON’T know if that’s the one I want. That’s the thing. I just need the plate, the battery, the Dtap cable to plug into the camera, and something to mount the thing onto my rig. I already have a clamp (bridge) for the 15mm rods.

And I don’t plan on using any dummy batteries.

That second link I posted appears to solve the problem of the mounting plate. But I’m wondering why it’s hundred cheaper than the wooden camera stuff I originally looked at. And if I could use this option.

Joakley

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 7:33 pm

It’s only 99 bucks...and includes everything I will need to attach it.

As opposed to 400-500 bucks. Any idea what the catch is? I’m not about paying a fortune just for a name...if that’s all it is.

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 2:49 am

Joakley wrote:
rick.lang wrote:How do you know that’s what you want when this is the level of specificity in the listing?

(1) x mounting plate
(1) x rod bridge - 15 mm
(4) x power cable

I DON’T know if that’s the one I want...

I’m sorry my post could have been confusing. The information I listed was from the inexpensive second item that you referenced previously as saying this was what you want. My post was to highlight it didn’t appear to have the details you wanted based on the list. Apologies I wasn’t helpful.

Rick Lang

michaeldhead

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 4:52 pm

Joakley wrote:Or this?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _wcB&smp=Y

This is what I need. But I’m hesitant to buy it.

I used a plate very similar to this one last night (although I wish I'd found this one in my search) - it worked great for me, although all I used was the d-tap and I havn't tried the other ports yet.

But if it doesn't work for you, return it.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP
Previous

Return to Cinematography