Building MFT Lens Set for Pocket 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ErikOlson70

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Coming from B4 type and PL lens experience, with no lenses currently owned.

Looking to outfit the camera with a fresh cine prime MFT set, strictly playing on the BMD Pocket 4K. The camera will be used for single-camera film type work (commercials, music videos, bts kits, hobby / independent low-no projects), and I have no agenda for lenses that need to come over, so no plans for getting into Meta Bones at this time.

So, talk to me about Veydra and Rokinon CineDS? Stuff like the Tokina Vista Zooms and Xeen primes are getting to the edge of "would only buy them as PL mount" pricing, so maybe let's not discuss them in this conversation? $250 - $1,100 range per lens feels like a reasonable neighborhood to be in.

Playing natively MFT mounted, am I looking for full frame or APS-C or other coverage? This "crop" thing is frankly freaking me out a bit, as I am a bit confounded over why a 16mm or 25mm lens in MFT mount to an MFT camera need additional CF math. Be gentle? :D
Erik Olson
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2021332/

Rakesh Malik

Re: Building MFT Lens Set for Pocket 4K

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 4:24 pm

The only good reason to consider a speed booster is to enable you to share lenses between a super 35 and an MFT or super 16 camera. In that case it can save you a lot of money, as well as minimize your kit by not forcing you to have two variations for each lens you like to use.

Since you're just starting out your lens kit, check out the Veydra and SLR Magic lens lines; they're very good. AFAIK Veydra's line is MFT only, which for you would be perfect.

:)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Que Thompson

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 4:39 pm

I use Voigtländer and have been very happy with the results.

Jim Giberti

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Read John Brawley's opinion of using Olympus Pro glass on the new P4K.

I've got lots of Canon and Nikon mount primes and zooms and a lot of native MFT glass for the Micros and Pockets.

I'm really liking the Olympus Pro glass.

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Also, for a full manual Cine lens set like your PLs, consider the Veydra Mini Primes. Excellent lenses, with Zeiss like IQ. Another option is the new Tokina 11-20, Or the new 16-28 Vista Cime Zoom. Both are excellent. See Duclos lens site for details.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ErikOlson70

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks for the excellent responses so far! Really appreciate everyone's valuable time.

Knowing I'm looking at the Veydras MFT and Rokinon DS MFT, wonder if someone can school me on the APS-C versus full aperture versions (maybe a question only on the Rokinons).

This is the kind of thing that's giving me pause - don't want to try to return anything, and don't have such lenses locally accessible to test, without renting / shipping in. APS-C is a lot closer to the M43 sensor size?

I think, because I'm new on the forum, that I'm not allowed to post URLs, but if you search BH for "Rokinon 16mm Cine DS Lens MFT" you'll see where I'm having some hesitation. Again, these are going to be inexpensive, and pretty much committed to the BMD Pocket 4K and, perhaps, other M43 camera platforms down the road.

Obviously, if picking either Full Frame or APS-C will work on the Pocket 4K, but closes other doors down the road... that'd be undesirable too.
Erik Olson

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 9:00 pm

One advantage of both the Veydras and Tokina Cine Zooms, like the 11-20, you can change the lens mounts if you change platforms. The Tokina are APS-C or Full Frame lenses (depending on the one you choose. Also in PL or EF mount is are the excellent SLR APO Primes, which are full frame. The Veydras from 19mm up are also S35/APS-C coverage, and have several Mount options, including Sony E mount.

So yes, getting a lens that can change platforms is a better advantage long term. I had a Veydra set, but decided to sell it, when I was considering going to a larger format. I also have a Zeiss ZF three kens set (had five, sold two when I went with the Veydras. But the Zeiss ZF (or ZE for EF version) is another option, especially the new Zeiss Milvus set. Did you check out the Duclos Lens site, lots of good info there.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Sam Biddle

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:47 pm

I have a set of Samyangs (the Rokinons); the 12mm, 21mm and 50mm and they are decent lenses, especially for the price.

To answer your question as to why an MFT lens needs additional CF math: to my understanding, Samyang/Rokinon designed these lenses to be used on APS-C and MFT cameras; the image circle covers APS-C and MFT by extension, so you can buy them with different mounts, but naturally with an EF version you'll get a wider field of view than the MFT version due to the differing crop factor. For example, I believe the 12mm T2.2 would be FF equiv of 19mm with the EF mount and 24mm with the MFT mount.

I shot a little video with the Samyangs a couple of weeks ago, nothing special but hope it gives you an idea of the lenses performance:

Sam Biddle
3D Artist @ BlueBolt VFX

AdrianSierkowski

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:16 pm

A bit about crop factor--- don't stress it too much.
In reality, it is primarily useful in comparing the Field of View (FoV) or a specific lens between two formats.
For example (and without doing major maths, just some napkin thinking)
If you're on a 35mm 3-Perf Motion Picture Camera (which is approx APS-C) with a 50mm Lens

and SUDDENLY, you need to use a S16mm Motion Picture camera to match the FoV of that same lens, you'd look to use a 25mm.

Or a more realistic, from the film days, example, you're shooting Jurassic Park, and you're on a 50mm on your Panavision camera (4-perf), and suddenly, it's time to shoot the FX plate and you pull out the good old VistaVistion (8 Perf!) camera which is approximately Full-Frame, boom you'd use a 100mm!

What I mean to explore by this is if you are only using 1 primary format (in this case MTF), you're not "crop factoring" to anything else, so your lens set is your lens set. Now this isn't getting too much into the spacial compression of a given lens, which will vary, but for Field of View purposes, your 24mm is you 24mm is your 24mm because it's only going on one camera. There's no need to think, oh wait, my 24mm is really a 50mm (it isn't), just that it has the same field of view as a 50mm on a full frame.

As for lenses to get into in the pocket-- you know, honestly, I would think about going with lenses which you can share on other formats. I would recommend Rokinons with a simple, dumb, EF adapter (no need for a metabones) and just building your kit from an 8mm on up. In this case 8/10/12/16/24/35/50. I doubt you'd really need the 8 or the 50, but they are cheap lenses. They are nice to have in EF laying 'round as later on in life you may get into situations where you have a project come up on another system (even a BM one) with an EF mount and you can save some money on a lens rental.
Also as EF lenses, you could make some extra money renting them out to people- though it's a small rental fee.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

ErikOlson70

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Pulled the trigger on the Rokinon Cine DS MFTs in 16, 35, 50 and 85mm to get started. The Veydras will represent the top of what I'm willing to spend in MFT mount. Thanks again, everyone, for the kind feedback. The "crop" advice gave me a lot of [sic] clarity on how to think about it.
Erik Olson

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Lenses like the Roks that come in different mounts, all use the same lens, they jsut change the mount, the projected image circle (APS-C) for say a 25mm lens remains the same on their MFT mount, EF or PL.

Lenses do Not have a crop factor, the focal length from one lens to another remains the same. What changes is the amount of the projected image circle that is used by the sensor. Also lenses designed for smaller sensor cameras like S16 or MFT, will have a smaller projected image circle than a lens of the same focal length for a S35 format, which is larger, but the focsl'length remains the same.

AdrianSierkowski wrote:A bit about crop factor---
If you're on a 35mm 3-Perf Motion Picture Camera (which is approx APS-C) with a 50mm Lens
and SUDDENLY, you need to use a S16mm Motion Picture camera to match the FoV of that same lens, you'd look to use a 25mm.
[/quote]

Very close Adrian, but actually a 29-30mm lens would be a closer match for the 50mm on STD Cine 35mm in your example. But you are correct, just use thenlens thst gives you the AOV coverage you need, as long as the lens projected image circle will cover the sensor. So using the Roks on the new Pocket will be fine, these will more than cover the camera’s sensor.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

AdrianSierkowski

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Back of the napkin calculations ;)

For me, I always work out what I think the "normal" lens is for the format, then I know what's wider and longer.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:55 am

yes, so do I, so your “back of napkin” calculation was fairly close. Thought I could narrow it down just a bit for you. The new Pocket 4K is going to be a “wide” 40-45mm full frame AOV , or a 30mm to get the 45-degree “normal” AOV. Gives the user a nice choice, depending on the aspect ratio, 17:9 4K or 16:9 UHD.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ErikOlson70

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 3:09 pm

All dressed up, with nowhere to go! :D Received the Rokinon Cine DS MFT lenses yesterday - during the hurricane?! - along with:

8Sinn VCT Shoulder Mount
8Sinn 10cm Rods
8Sinn 20cm Rods
8Sinn Rod Couplers
Tilta FF-T03 Single Side Follow Focus
Samsung T5 500GB External USB (the price has fallen to $99 on these in recent days!)
Canon LC-E6 Single Charger
2) BMD LC-E6 Batteries
1) Tilta 4x4 Swing-Away MB-T05
BMD Mini XLR Set
Sachtler ACE XL Tripod

Still sitting in processing at BH...

8Sinn BL4KPKCAM Full Cage
BMD Pocket 4K

The lenses feel great, and I've got an engraver / laser etch outfit I've used in the past looking at adding focal length marks at the front of each lens. Seems to be the one thing they overlooked on this value set. Initially, really impressed with the build quality, focus ring throw and only concern being the fairly light aperture ring movement. The Cine DS lenses share a common mount-to-iris distance and mount-to-focus distance, which, along with the swing-away mattebox, should make lens changes somewhat painless. Could have spent more, but still have my clip-on Chrosziel set-up, in case I end up not liking it.
Erik Olson

rick.lang

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Congratulations, Erik! Which focal lengths of lenses did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

ErikOlson70

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks, Rick, and everyone who has given me guidance on this build! I landed on the $1600 set from B&H, which includes: 16mm T2.2; 35mm, 50mm, 85mm at T1.5
Erik Olson

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 4:53 am

Those perform well. The 24mm perhaps could be added but in the past it was the weakest lens possibly due to lens coating. Perhaps that’s been rectified. If you hear the 24mm has been improved, you’ll want that too. Then you have a complete set.

Rick Lang

ErikOlson70

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Yes, I agonized over which kit to purchase, and ultimately the less expensive / wider angle package won out. The 16mm is a T2.2, which falls outside the other T matched lenses, but I was afraid of getting caught without a wider option in the starter kit, which may need to be "it" for a few months.

I'll be interested to find the sweet spot on each of the Rokinon DS lenses - could be that they all favor a T2.2 anyway! Some folks have mentioned that they thought the T1.5 was a bit optimistic, performance-wise. ;)

BTW, noticed today that the BMD specs page for the BMPCC 4K now shows a power adapter / international cable and LP-E6 battery, which seems to coincide with the videos that have been posted from reviewers who received the retail-boxed preview packages. Don't remember a battery being included, but that'll bring me up to three if one shows up! I think you alluded to wanting to run an AB or V-mount battery on yours? I'm looking at some options for that on mine as well, because I intend to use this as an A-cam, fully-rigged, more often than not.

The rear, no flip-out monitor obviously causes some issues with most rod-mounted battery plate set-ups, unless you choose something like Ikan's "over-under" option. The 8Sinn VCT plate I received has no through rods option, but does have a nifty quick-release rear rods mount.
Erik Olson

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Erik, the battery was always included but having a couple of extra is important. I’m going to hang my Cinegears 270WH V-mount battery in a bag off the tripod. I have mid-level spreaders to rest it on so no cable tension issue of course. Will wrap with a Velcro strip. When I’m not on the tripod, I’ll be using the internal battery.

The sweet spot for all your lenses is likely about T2.8. The T1.5 sounds great but in practice you may not shoot with that setting unless you have no other option. On the other hand, there are times when that soft focus can be just what you want.

Last edited by rick.lang on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Rokinon Cine DS, as are other still camera lens rehousing like SLR Magic Hyperprimes, are a little soft wide open.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Peterson

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:37 pm

If you're buying Rokinons then *ONLY* buy them in Nikon F mount (or maaaaybe EF), as that will keep you with the most doors open for the future with whatever camera system you might move to next vs being stuck with only MFT lenses.
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

michaeldhead

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 2:27 pm

That's what I did - Rokinon Cine DS in EF mount, even though I mainly shoot...shot on Sony e-mount cameras. I've been using a standard Metabones EF-E mount adapter, but when the P4k I'm heavily considering a Speedbooster for the first time.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

AdrianSierkowski

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:31 pm

I'd go EF-- yes you can adapt F mount to EF; but that's kludgy and it's kludgy enough with the lens mount adapter in the first place (and apart from PL, EF is pretty much the only other main mount these days. )
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

ErikOlson70

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:32 pm

From what I've read, the speedbooster for PL is very limited in the lenses that will play on it. As if it were basically designed for the CP series, and nothing else. Don't know about other mounts.
Erik Olson

Brad Hurley

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:50 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote:I'd go EF-- yes you can adapt F mount to EF; but that's kludgy and it's kludgy enough with the lens mount adapter in the first place (and apart from PL, EF is pretty much the only other main mount these days. )

Perhaps one exception is if you're looking at those very good Zeiss Milvus lenses: the Nikon mount version seems a bit more optimal for film/video as it has a manual (and de-clickable) aperture ring. Not sure why that feature is missing from the Canon version (note that I've only looked into the 50mm Milvus).
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

AdrianSierkowski

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Good to know on the Milvus-- probably due to EF being pretty much fully electronic; whereas F mount Nikons could be thrown on a camera from the 1970s, still, fully manual.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Erik, that is a valid warning for many traditional PL mount lenses that used movement of the rear element group in the operation of the lens. But newer PL mount lenses use internal mechanics rather than alter the position of the rear group or the front element (which is also important to be non-rotating since the lenses often are combined with matte boxes and filters).

The Zeiss CP.2, CP.3, and SLR Magic are examples of more modern lens housings that behave themselves in operation with other accessories. Good choices are available although a budget PL lens costs about $2,000 to begin with (such as the set of Rokinon Xeen T1.5 114mm OD primes). My lenses are the slightly more costly SLR Magic APO T2.1 95mm OD primes. But there are other good choices around the ‘budget’ price point.

Rick Lang

David Peterson

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 3:11 am

michaeldhead wrote:That's what I did - Rokinon Cine DS in EF mount, even though I mainly shoot...shot on Sony e-mount cameras. I've been using a standard Metabones EF-E mount adapter, but when the P4k I'm heavily considering a Speedbooster for the first time.

Well as those are all manual lenses, you don't need to buy an expensive Metabones but even cheap focal reducers will work for you

David Peterson

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 3:13 am

Brad Hurley wrote:
AdrianSierkowski wrote:I'd go EF-- yes you can adapt F mount to EF; but that's kludgy and it's kludgy enough with the lens mount adapter in the first place (and apart from PL, EF is pretty much the only other main mount these days. )

Perhaps one exception is if you're looking at those very good Zeiss Milvus lenses: the Nikon mount version seems a bit more optimal for film/video as it has a manual (and de-clickable) aperture ring. Not sure why that feature is missing from the Canon version (note that I've only looked into the 50mm Milvus).

Yes, true for all those Zeiss lenses. Makes more sense to buy the Nikon F mount versions.

And I use Nikon F to EF adapters all the time with EF mount cameras, you can even buy semi permanent mods.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 3:29 am

I won't suggest going for an MFT mount unless you're looking at OIS which the Panny and Oly will be your best selection (see JB's on Olympus). I have an URSA 4K and have a set of Rokinon Cine DS EF mount (16, 24, 35, 50, 85, and 135) Full Frame lenses. I used the same lenses on my Pocket with a Metabones 0.7x SB . This way I can share the set of lenses between the two cameras, and I get 1 stop and larger AOV on the Pocket. I've ordered the P4K so I will use the same lenses with the SB and get an AOV on the P4K that's slightly wider than the UMP. This has proven to be a good investment for me. The Rokinon lenses a slightly soft but that's fine for my taste as I shoot mostly narrative. I have a Sigma 18-35mm EF as well when I need a sharper lens, and a few of the Canon EFs with IS when I think I need stable shots. That's my suggestion.

If I will change mounts and lenses, PL will be my next stop.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 4:02 am

Ellory, would you be interested in Metabones developing a mFT-PL adapter for use on the BMPCC4K?

Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 4:54 am

rick.lang wrote:Ellory, would you be interested in Metabones developing a mFT-PL adapter for use on the BMPCC4K?

Hey Rick, Hope you're well! Yes, that will be nice for MB to come out with it. A DP friend of mine was just asking me too if there will be an mFT-PL adapter for the BMPCC 4K. Wooden does make a mFT-PL adapter today for the pocket too.

https://www.woodencamera.com/mft-to-pl- ... 169600.htm
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 4:57 am

There have been MFT to PL adapters since the days of at least the Panasonic GH2, I should know, I had one, made by a Polish guy, thought can't recall his name bought from ebay. Worked wonderfully, cost about $80usd and got rid of it when I got rid of the GH2.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 5:12 am

The Wooden Camera Pocket PL/MFT Pro model will,work on the new Pocket 4K, and it come with shims, if the FFD need adjusting.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 10:24 am

I’ve also ordered the SLR Magic mFT-PL dumb adapter but the SpeedBooster approach is on the back burner for another year.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 10:26 am

Adrian, I remember the Polish ciecio7 adapter in the early days of the mFT mounts from BMD. That was the standard.

Or maybe it was the PL-EF adapter.

Last edited by rick.lang on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

michaeldhead

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 12:59 pm

David Peterson wrote:
michaeldhead wrote:That's what I did - Rokinon Cine DS in EF mount, even though I mainly shoot...shot on Sony e-mount cameras. I've been using a standard Metabones EF-E mount adapter, but when the P4k I'm heavily considering a Speedbooster for the first time.

Well as those are all manual lenses, you don't need to buy an expensive Metabones but even cheap focal reducers will work for you

In my experience, you get what you pay for, and even though Rokinons are not the highest price glass, I’m...concerned about stacking a cheap piece of glass in front of the lens. I’ve seen some good reviews of the Viltrox EF-M2, but I wouldn’t go any lower than that.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 5:39 pm

It certainly wasn't PL to EF as that doesn't really work at all. They did formally make PL Mounts you coudl throw on a 7D but that was a whole replacement of the front of the camera.

You also don't NEED a speedbooster for most PL lenses as PLs, for the most part, are designed to work on S-35mm (APS-C) cameras and not Full Frame. Those are generally in XPL mount (if you're talking oldschool 65mm cameras).
And if you're working with PL lens, you really, generally, have both the budget and the knowledge to get the lenses of the right focal lengths for the AOV you want. The LAST thing you'd want to do is mess up the "look" of your new Cooke S5is with some new glass behind them which may or may not match and or cause other issues to the optics of the lenses.

Now i'm sure you're all going to argue with me, but honestly I have never, on any set i've ever been on, with any camera, ever seen a speed-booster used in a professional setting. It really is a cool piece of kit-- but it's also a stopgap, and really well marketed, but that's it. Hell it's cheaper to buy a dumb adapter and Rokinon 12mm lens then it is to buy the speed-booster. And as for the electronics-- just get older manual lenses-- trust me, your crew will thank you, unless you're using the new L Series zooms (New being relative)
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

michaeldhead

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Has anyone used the Aputure DEC Lensregain as opposed to the Metabones Speedbooster? I'm trying to make some decisions soon, and any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Ellory Yu

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 7:29 pm

michaeldhead wrote:Has anyone used the Aputure DEC Lensregain as opposed to the Metabones Speedbooster? I'm trying to make some decisions soon, and any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Just from experience, I would either spend on a Metabones SB or the Viltrox if you're budget is tight. The latter works well with my GH5. I also have the Mitakon turbo M2. That's a good one too but the Viltrox has the electronics and just a few dollars more.

michaeldhead

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Just from experience, I would either spend on a Metabones SB or the Viltrox if you're budget is tight. The latter works well with my GH5. I also have the Mitakon turbo M2. That's a good one too but the Viltrox has the electronics and just a few dollars more.

What makes me consider it more than others is the addition of the remote focus control offered by the Lensregain. That's an interesting aspect, especially since the P4k doesn't really have autofocus (I know it has push button, but that's not something really to use while you're shooting).
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:00 pm

you don't really use auto-focus while shooting.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Ellory Yu

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 pm

michaeldhead wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:Just from experience, I would either spend on a Metabones SB or the Viltrox if you're budget is tight. The latter works well with my GH5. I also have the Mitakon turbo M2. That's a good one too but the Viltrox has the electronics and just a few dollars more.

What makes me consider it more than others is the addition of the remote focus control offered by the Lensregain. That's an interesting aspect, especially since the P4k doesn't really have autofocus (I know it has push button, but that's not something really to use while you're shooting).

I don't know how good is their remote focus and I'm just going through my own experience with the focal reducer/booster side. I use a follow focus for focusing and there are wireless models - again depends on your budget and setup. If you do get Lens Regain do let us know of your experience (pros/cons).

EDIT: Some focal reducers only works with certain lens brand or focal length. Make sure you check this.
Last edited by Ellory Yu on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 pm

michaeldhead wrote:

Note that it may be possible for Blackmagic to add focus control to their iPad/iPhone app in the future; they confirmed that focus control is in their API specs so you might be able to control focus (and even ramping of speed between focus points) in the iPad/iPhone app in the future. And since there's an API, an app for this might also be available on Android at some point if it isn't already.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:08 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote:you don't really use auto-focus while shooting.

This is true, but now that I've been using the One Little Remote on my Micro Cinema Camera, I have to say that the focus controls are pretty fantastic. You can also control focus remotely via a phone app, using bluetooth, but I just use the dial on the physical remote. This way you can do things like set focus points and toggle between them without having rails and a follow focus on your camera; just mount the remote on top of the monitor (or hold the remote in your hand) and turn the dials.

The One Little Remote also allows you to set the speed at which focus toggles, or even ramp it so it slows down as it approaches one focus point. It's quite cool, but not all focus-by-wire lenses are likely to work with it. (see this video starting around 2 minutes in):

Unfortunately the One Little Remote isn't going to work with the Pocket 4K, but Blackmagic Design's iPad/iPhone app does via bluetooth and as I mentioned above there's the possibility of adding focus control to it in the future.

michaeldhead

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Yes. I know. That's why I want focus control during shooting, as I said. The Lensregain says it allows focus control like you'd find with a wireless follow focus. It's also cheaper than a Speedbooster, but more expensive than a Viltrox.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

michaeldhead

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:29 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:Note that it may be possible for Blackmagic to add focus control to their iPad/iPhone app in the future; they confirmed that focus control is in their API specs so you might be able to control focus (and even ramping of speed between focus points) in the iPad/iPhone app in the future. And since there's an API, an app for this might also be available on Android at some point if it isn't already.

Honestly, if it hasn't been added to one of the control apps by now, I'd be surprised if it ever gets working. I could be wrong, but that's just my thought on it.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Brad Hurley

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:35 pm

michaeldhead wrote:
Brad Hurley wrote:Note that it may be possible for Blackmagic to add focus control to their iPad/iPhone app in the future; they confirmed that focus control is in their API specs so you might be able to control focus (and even ramping of speed between focus points) in the iPad/iPhone app in the future. And since there's an API, an app for this might also be available on Android at some point if it isn't already.

Honestly, if it hasn't been added to one of the control apps by now, I'd be surprised if it ever gets working. I could be wrong, but that's just my thought on it.

BMD did confirm that it's in the specs and in the API. So I don't think it's impossible. But it's not likely to work with all focus-by-wire lenses and that could be the barrier.

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 2:21 am

Denny Smith wrote:The Wooden Camera Pocket PL/MFT Pro model will,work on the new Pocket 4K

Has anyone used this Wooden PL adapter with Xeen or Tokina Vista primes?

RealSting

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 12:56 pm

What if one is a self-shooter, particularly if they are filming themselves, say talking to camera.. they may sway slightly in and out of focus etc. Though autofocus is not exactly a cinematic technique for creativity for obvious reasons, for documentary makers - especially self-shooters, it does have its place. There is a reason why cameras like the SONY FS series employ it!

Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta
Next

Return to Cinematography