Where is the low and high gain toggle on the 4.6k?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

macfawlty

Where is the low and high gain toggle on the 4.6k?

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 pm

I saw several YouTube videos on the camera controls that showed high and low gain toggles for audio signal. I don't see it anywhere in the menus and my firmware is current. I'm not getting the strongest signal out of my lav mic and could use a higher gain.

rick.lang

Re: Where is the low and high gain toggle on the 4.6k?

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 2:56 am

Menu / Settings / Audio will display a few ‘tabs’ st the top the display various pages of settings including the gain on each audio channel. You set the microphone or audio in to ‘mic’ or ‘line’ as appropriate; then you select ‘high’ or ‘low’ which can strengthen the signal and on the next page you can adjust the gain for that high or low range. 50% gain means no adjustment to audio levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

David Peterson

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:41 pm

macfawlty wrote:I saw several YouTube videos on the camera controls that showed high and low gain toggles for audio signal. I don't see it anywhere in the menus and my firmware is current. I'm not getting the strongest signal out of my lav mic and could use a higher gain.

You might be looking at the UMP camera, which is a totally different camera to the first UM4.6K
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:52 pm

David, you will need to add a mic preamp between the mic and camera. The UM mic preamps are kind of weak, and increasing gain past 50, increases background noise.

The UM Pro has I different and improved mic/line audio processing amp, which has to two gain settings.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography