BM Intensity Shuttle file sizes

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Aurelio Roman

BM Intensity Shuttle file sizes

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 2:53 pm

So I use the BM Intensity shuttle to capture from my cam to my MacBook.
I'm using Analog RCA cables.
What setting can I use to make the smallest possible file?

Its seems all the options make huge files.

Eric-Jan

Re: BM Intensity Shuttle file sizes

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Uncompressed does make large files, depending how much you want to do in post, you could use ProRes422 to capture, you can choose out of grades of compression, with ProRes422 Proxy the strongest, i use the LT version at the moment, but depending how much fast movement is in your captured video, you can choose what suits you, ProRes is a visual lossless codec, make some tests (minimal 30 minutes) and judge for your self how strong you want to compress.
Stronger compression will give you also lower data rates to your storage during capture.

Since the internal storage is a fast SSD drive i regulary move large files to an external drive or the trash, and empty the trash also directly, so i can do captures onto a space of 140GB, that's enough for more than 2 hours of captures or more.
Don't know why you want the strongest compression, but you should find something that is the middle of both "ends" or just on the border of that... (tests)
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Aurelio Roman

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Uncompressed does make large files, depending how much you want to do in post, you could use ProRes422 to capture, you can choose out of grades of compression, with ProRes422 Proxy the strongest, i use the LT version at the moment, but depending how much fast movement is in your captured video, you can choose what suits you, ProRes is a visual lossless codec, make some tests (minimal 30 minutes) and judge for your self how strong you want to compress.
Stronger compression will give you also lower data rates to your storage during capture.

This is for legal video deposition work. Talking head with a blue background (minimal movement)

Eric-Jan

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:05 pm

okay, try ProRes422 Proxy, and see how that looks to you, if that's too strong, a step less compressed would be ProRes422 LT, another step less compressed would be Proress422, and so on.

You can make the files smaller by using MP4, MKV,AVI or .MOV "containers" in post. (H264)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started