ATEM Television Studio HD XLRs not in Stereo

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Carmen Mallard

ATEM Television Studio HD XLRs not in Stereo

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 2:39 am

I have the ATEM Television Studio HD. I have connected two XLRS that are sending a left and right feed from our Behringer X32 to the Ch1 and Ch2 XLR inputs on the ATEM. When I look at the software, (Updated to 7.5.2), there is no way to pan Ch1 and Ch2 XLR inputs separately, only producing a mono feed. When I only plug in to one of the XLR inputs, it only sends through one side, I'm assuming CH1 goes to right and CH2 goes to left. But without the ability to pan these feeds separately, I'm getting a mono feed from the soundboard. Both are panned to the center. When I try to pan them, I hear only one feed over the other. When I look at the website, it shows that there are two controls for the XLRs, but these do not show up on my updated software.
How can I get the Ch1 and CH2 channels to produce a stereo feed?

One more thing: The first time I ever used this switcher, I plugged two feeds from the master outs on a Behringer Xenyx 1202 soundboard. I immediately got complaints online when I went LIVE that no one could hear our commentators, but I could hear them quite well from my equipment. I checked every line. Turned out, the ATEM was sending an inverted signal from one of the channels, and if a person was listening with a mono phone (iPhone 5, etc) or a mono connection, the phased left and right channels canceled themselves out, completely rendering the commentator feed silent. I could hear the camera feeds, but not the XLR feeds. Since then, I've only been able to send one feed to the XLR in order to hear the commentators, but without the ability to pan, the commentators only come out of the left channel. We have had to resort to producing this show in Mono in order to look professional.
Attachments
Blackmagic-Design-Television-Studio-HD-software-audio.png
this is what I am seeing (Only one XLR control)
Blackmagic-Design-Television-Studio-HD-software-audio.png (196.52 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
fairflight-en@2x.jpg
this is what I want to see (Two XLR controls)
fairflight-en@2x.jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 2296 times

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

Re: ATEM Television Studio HD XLRs not in Stereo

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:59 am

Hi.
First. The last picture are only for the new Television Pro 4K version, the other versions doesn't have the new Fairchild upgrade for audio control.
However you said yourself that when you first tried only one channel into the switcher it only sends to one side. Thats how it supposed to be. With two xlr connected you get one panned to left, I think thats ch1, and the other one panned to right giving you a stereo signal.
The problem others have had are that sometimes you want to send only the right channel to both L+R and that is not possible.
Regarding the phase problem you have, I would check the cables you have feeding the Atem.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Carmen Mallard

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:26 pm

Hakan Taube Lyxzen wrote: With two xlr connected you get one panned to left, I think thats ch1, and the other one panned to right giving you a stereo signal.

That is how it seems like it is supposed to be, but the problem is that both are panned to the center, making the stereo image mono. I know one comes in one channel and one the other channel, but for some reason, they are panned center, and there's no way to pan it to stereo.

Is everyone else getting stereo feeds on this ATEM switcher?

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 7:50 pm

I tested with my 2 m/e production studio today and when I muted the left signal from my soundboard the corresponding channel in the Atem software went down to zero so its definitely panned correctly to stereo.
Have you tried the following. Make sure that you have panned the xlr to center and then feed the Atem with a stereo signal from the soundboard and then remove one of the cables. This should give you signal only on the side with the cable still attached. If you have signal both on L and R there are something wrong with your Atem.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

RichardJolly

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Quick fix - if you are using Blackmagic or professional cameras, you could send L&R to the camera separately so they come into the mixer on the SDI or HDMI, which should definitely be split. Not practical, of course, if the production desk is 50 yards from the action.

Return to Live Production