Seeking advice on my BMCC KIT

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adriano Castaldini

Seeking advice on my BMCC KIT

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 9:56 pm

I'm NOT an expert. I have no camera-body, no lens, no rig (only a Manfrotto tripod), no computer for post (only an old Apple Cinema Display HD 23” usable as poor grading monitor).
BUT this summer I want to purchase a “complete&cheap” Kit based on BMCC μFT (2.5K).
The idea is a basic Kit, but I may have forgotten something, or simply you can suggest something different.
The budget is a maximum of 15K€.

CAMERA
-BMCC μFT
-SSD OCZ Vertex 3 Sata3 480gb
-NewerTech Voyager Q Drive Dock
-Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f/2 (ø46) + LH-48 + LC-48 + PRF-D46 PRO
-VOIGTLANDER Nokton 25mm f/0.95 (ø58)
-VOIGTLANDER Nokton 42.5mm f/0.95 (ø58)
-3* Case Logic SLRA-1
-Hoya ø46 (UV + Cir-Pol + ND4)
-Hoya ø58 (Protector + UV + ND4 + ND8)
-Bespeco PHP20 phantom power supply (for my pair of AT studio-mics)
-Audio Technica AT897 battery/phantom shotgun
-Switronix PB70-BMCC battery
-Switronix PB70C charger
-Varizoom Flowpod + Bag (VZ-FPC) + Weitgh kit (VZ-FP-1)
TOT. 7,736€

COMPUTER
-iMac27” i7-quad 3,4GHz 32GB-ram Nvidia-Cuda GTX680-MX (2GB)
-PROMISE Pegasus R6 12TB (6x2TB) Thunderbolt RAID
-LaCie 2Big 6TB (2x3TB) Thunderbolt RAID (for backup only)
-Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor
-Lindy Adaptor HDMI (M) to DVI-D (F)
-Datacolor Spyder4 Elite
TOT. 7,163€

Camera + Computer = 14,899€

Something missing? Any advice?

Thanks a lot.

Joseph Ciccarella

Re: Seeking advice on my BMCC KIT

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Seems like you put a lot of thought into this. Just wondering, what's your eventual purpose going to be? Knowing what you want to shoot may help folks fill in the blanks for anything missing.
Best.
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

Sean

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:09 pm

adrjork wrote:-SSD OCZ Vertex 3 Sata3 480gb

Get the 480GB sandisk extreme as people have been having issues with the OCZ. The Sandisk Extreme seems to be the only really flawlessly functioning SSD.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

Trevor Zuck

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 pm

adrjork wrote:I'm NOT an expert. I have no camera-body, no lens, no rig (only a Manfrotto tripod), no computer for post (only an old Apple Cinema Display HD 23” usable as poor grading monitor).
BUT this summer I want to purchase a “complete&cheap” Kit based on BMCC μFT (2.5K).
The idea is a basic Kit, but I may have forgotten something, or simply you can suggest something different.
The budget is a maximum of 15K€.

CAMERA
-BMCC μFT
-SSD OCZ Vertex 3 Sata3 480gb
-NewerTech Voyager Q Drive Dock
-Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f/2 (ø46) + LH-48 + LC-48 + PRF-D46 PRO
-3* Case Logic SLRA-1
-Hoya ø46 (UV + Cir-Pol + ND4)
-Hoya ø58 (Protector + UV + ND4 + ND8)
-Bespeco PHP20 phantom power supply (for my pair of AT studio-mics)
-Audio Technica AT897 battery/phantom shotgun
-Switronix PB70-BMCC battery
-Switronix PB70C charger
-Varizoom Flowpod + Bag (VZ-FPC) + Weitgh kit (VZ-FP-1)
TOT. 7,736€

COMPUTER
-iMac27” i7-quad 3,4GHz 32GB-ram Nvidia-Cuda GTX680-MX (2GB)
-PROMISE Pegasus R6 12TB (6 x 3TB) Thunderbolt RAID
-LaCie 2Big 6TB (2x3TB) Thunderbolt RAID (for backup only)
-Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor
-Lindy Adaptor HDMI (M) to DVI-D (F)
-Datacolor Spyder4 Elite
TOT. 7,163€

Camera + Computer = 14,899€

Something missing? Any advice?

Thanks a lot.

replace your SSD with either the 480GB SanDisk Extreme or 2 240GB SanDisk Extremes. its really nice to be able to swap disks.
also not sure if you really need the Datacolor Spyder4 Elite

for your filters you can save some money by buying for a larger thread and then buying stepdown rings. for instance i have a 77mm ND filter and a 77 - 72mm step down ring so my one filter can be used on both of my lenses. and its better to buy the larger diameter filters as they will down thread to smaller diameter lenses. and a step down ring is a lot cheaper than a whole nother filter.

you might consider getting a field mixer for audio.

Seagate thunderbolt dock works nice. Also consider buying a case for your camera and or lenses.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Ryan McCarvill

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Are you sure that the Olympus lens is compatable? Most of the Panasonic and Olympus MFT lenses require an active mount as they are focus by wire and have no manual arpeture.

If you want compatable MFT lenses you are stuck with SLR Magic and Voigtlander.

Look at the SLR Magic 12mm.

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Joseph Ciccarella wrote:Seems like you put a lot of thought into this. Just wondering, what's your eventual purpose going to be? Knowing what you want to shoot may help folks fill in the blanks for anything missing.
Best.

I have to admit... my REAL purpose is simply to enter the world of shooting. It fascinates me so much. Then I'll find something to shoot ;) something to produce. Yes, I know that it sounds ridiculous, but I want to be sincere.
Really I have a project: making a docu-film about my mother. Is the silent movie of her daily life. Instead of sounds, only Bach's music (recorded by me and edited in post) as music-track.
So I need something that works with natural light (indoor and also outdoor in her garden). For this reason I selected the two speed f/0.95 Voigtlaender.

ckmayeux

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 pm

I have the master rig by digital juice but have not been able to test it yet. Should get my camera in the next few weeks.

First impressions are that it is solid and sturdy and a heck of a value for the price. Btw, I got it on sale for $1000. It WILL go on sale again. Sign up for their email newsletter and you will see it on sale eventually.

That's $1k for rails, matte box, top handle, cage, follow focus, and roiling storage case.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
Ordered From: B&H
Order Date: 09/16/2012
Delivery: Not yet....

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 pm

TZuck wrote:for your filters you can save some money by buying for a larger thread and then buying stepdown rings. for instance i have a 77mm ND filter and a 77 - 72mm step down ring so my one filter can be used on both of my lenses. and its better to buy the larger diameter filters as they will down thread to smaller diameter lenses. and a step down ring is a lot cheaper than a whole nother filter.

I have a question about it:
using a stepup ring adapter 72to77, I can't use the 72lens proper hood, I can use only the 77hood for both, and perhaps this is not good, isn't it?

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 pm

The case for the camera + lenses... Yes... I miss it.
Which one for the BMCC?
(thx a lot everybody!)

Joseph Ciccarella

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:41 pm

adrjork wrote:
Joseph Ciccarella wrote:Seems like you put a lot of thought into this. Just wondering, what's your eventual purpose going to be? Knowing what you want to shoot may help folks fill in the blanks for anything missing.
Best.

I have to admit... my REAL purpose is simply to enter the world of shooting. It fascinates me so much. Then I'll find something to shoot ;) something to produce. Yes, I know that it sounds ridiculous, but I want to be sincere.
Really I have a project: making a docu-film about my mother. Is the silent movie of her daily life. Instead of sounds, only Bach's music (recorded by me and edited in post) as music-track.
So I need something that works with natural light (indoor and also outdoor in her garden). For this reason I selected the two speed f/0.95 Voigtlaender.

That's fine and it sounds like you do have a project in mind. I find a lot of times (and especially on these forums) people want to jump in and spend a lot of money right away. But, if you're just getting started, my advice would be to take it slow. It's just my opinion, but the best part of learning is making your own mistakes so that you know what works for you. I'm not saying practical advice doesn't help, especially with the technical part, but it may not matter as much until you find out why and if you need these things. So, experiment, get the basics, the bare essentials, and go from there. Once you get the camera, you'll need a lens, an SSD and a way to process the footage, ie a computer and card reader. When you start shooting more, you'll need a battery solution followed by more storage. The more time you can spend with each lens, filter, etc. The more familiar you can become with each of those things and understand their different qualities. Btw, if you wait for the Pocket Cam, you'll spend about a third of your estimate. Best of luck and have fun.
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

Gilly

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Joseph,

Very good point about the pocket camera. Smaller, less expensive to get a well rounded support package, easier to process the SD cards since you can also buy a gaggle of cards to boot, easier to shoot in tight rooms, the choice of one man banding without becoming over whelmed with a full blown setup that the 2.5k will put you into.

Gilly
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
i7 3.5 ghz quadcore hackentosh with dual THUNDERBOLT
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!
I got tired of waiting on apple :)

ckmayeux

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 11:13 pm

Joseph Ciccarella wrote:
adrjork wrote:
Best.

That's fine and it sounds like you do have a project in mind. I find a lot of times (and especially on these forums) people want to jump in and spend a lot of money right away. But, if you're just getting started, my advice would be to take it slow. It's just my opinion, but the best part of learning is making your own mistakes so that you know what works for you. I'm not saying practical advice doesn't help, especially with the technical part, but it may not matter as much until you find out why and if you need these things. So, experiment, get the basics, the bare essentials, and go from there. Once you get the camera, you'll need a lens, an SSD and a way to process the footage, ie a computer and card reader. When you start shooting more, you'll need a battery solution followed by more storage. The more time you can spend with each lens, filter, etc. The more familiar you can become with each of those things and understand their different qualities. Btw, if you wait for the Pocket Cam, you'll spend about a third of your estimate. Best of luck and have fun.

Solid advice, especially regarding the pocket cam

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
Ordered From: B&H
Order Date: 09/16/2012
Delivery: Not yet....

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 12:12 am

Ryan McCarvill wrote:Are you sure that the Olympus lens is compatable? Most of the Panasonic and Olympus MFT lenses require an active mount as they are focus by wire and have no manual arpeture. If you want compatable MFT lenses you are stuck with SLR Magic and Voigtlander. Look at the SLR Magic 12mm.

Panasonic & Olympus electronic lenses are not supported on the BMCC-MFT camera. These lenses require power & in-camera processing to focus, adjust exposure, perform in-lens IS, and more. The BMCC-MFT lens mount supports none of that because it's a passive (non-powered) mount.

Or, as Ryan says, use fully manual lenses designed for MFT, or a wide variety of other lenses mounted via appropriate mount adapters. Just not electronic MFT lenses.

A BMCC-EF camera together with a relatively expensive 3rd party lens adapter can provide power & aperture control for use with electronic MFT lenses.

The BMPCC "pocket" camera's electronic MFT lens mount supports electronic MFT lenses directly.

Trevor Zuck

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 am

adrjork wrote:
TZuck wrote:for your filters you can save some money by buying for a larger thread and then buying stepdown rings. for instance i have a 77mm ND filter and a 77 - 72mm step down ring so my one filter can be used on both of my lenses. and its better to buy the larger diameter filters as they will down thread to smaller diameter lenses. and a step down ring is a lot cheaper than a whole nother filter.

I have a question about it:
using a stepup ring adapter 72to77, I can't use the 72lens proper hood, I can use only the 77hood for both, and perhaps this is not good, isn't it?

I wouldn't use a step up ring. And if you need a hood to reduce flares you can get a matte box
- TZ

Screenscape Studios

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 4:49 am

adrjork wrote:I have a project: making a docu-film about my mother. Is the silent movie of her daily life. Instead of sounds, only Bach's music (recorded by me and edited in post) as music-track.

The best filters for the BMCC and BMPCC sensors are the Tiffen IRNDs. I think you need to spend more time reading the threads here and other forums discussing the BM cinema cameras as that can help you decide where to find more information about what will suit your purposes.

You don't say how long your first project will be but if it goes for more than a few minutes, you might lose your audience with only a classical music soundtrack. I'm sure your mother is a fascinating person and your audience will want to hear her perspective on a variety of topics. Let her speak! Let her sing!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Adriano Castaldini

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:51 pm

TZuck wrote:also not sure if you really need the Datacolor Spyder4 Elite
Do you mean that I can calibrate the Apple monitor only in System Preferences?
TZuck wrote:you might consider getting a field mixer for audio.
Question: in the camera itself is there any sort of audio level meter for each channel?
(Because I have a pair of fileld mixers but I'd prefer to reduce the number of tools.)
Ryan McCarvill wrote:Look at the SLR Magic 12mm.
I've looked it! But a guy from adcom.it said that SLR evolved its lenses from security "low-light-proof" camera, so - he said - the result is a really fast wide lens (12mm f/1.6) but that suffers so much of flares! So, in your direct experience, is it true or not?
Joseph Ciccarella wrote:if you wait for the Pocket Cam, you'll spend about a third of your estimate.
Well, I've made also an estimate based on the Pocket Camera equipment, and it results that even if the Pocket is cheaper then the BMCC, the complete Pocket Kit will cost just 1K€ less (mainly because calculating the crop factor, I've seen that I would need 4 lenses and not just 3 lenses). So there is not a great money difference. Then I've considered some disadvantages based on the specs of the two cameras:
-1. The combination crop-factor/lenses-speed show that even with the minimum of f/0.95 for both the cameras, the 2.5K is better in low-light (and I'll use natural light) and shallow DoF.
-2. 128GB SD cards don't give long shots (128GB is 100MB in HFS+ and records up to 1h long shot, while I'd like to use the camera also to shoot piano recitals that could last more then twice.) While 480GB SSD is a definitive solution.
-3. I'd avoid complex rigs for both. Infact if you see my estimate, there is only the Varizoom-Flowpod and a Manfrotto, so I would be light with both camera sets.

But here I have a qeustion: I didn't mention follow-focus. Guys, do you think it is so essential with manual lenses? (i.e. with the camera on the stabilizer?) Or, more or less, I could do without it? (i.e. with the camera on tripod?) I'd avoid any rig to maintain the set as light (and as cheap) as possible. If you say that a follow-focus is unavoidable, what about the light edelkrone pocket-rig + focus-one? Could it be good for SLR and Voigtlaender lenses?
Gilly wrote:becoming over whelmed with a full blown setup that the 2.5k will put you into
Is it impossible - for your experience - to use the 2.5K Camera without a real rig? Only with Switronix PB70-BMCC battery screwed direclty under the camera, and a shotgun screwed directly on the top. No rig - perhaps no follow focus - and surely no mattebox, only circular filters and hoods. This setup weighs a maximum of 2,5Kg sustained simply by the Flowpod and my Manfrotto.
rick.lang wrote:You don't say how long your first project will be
Well... The first idea about the project was a classic music recording: a complete Bach's piano music book, more or less 1h30'. The idea of combining it with a Straub-Huillet style silent film-track arrived later. The audience should be the same of a classic piano recital, so... Yes I've in mind something really boring and exhausting! ;)))))

Trevor Zuck

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 2:18 pm

adrjork wrote:
TZuck wrote:also not sure if you really need the Datacolor Spyder4 Elite
Do you mean that I can calibrate the Apple monitor only in System Preferences?
TZuck wrote:you might consider getting a field mixer for audio.
Question: in the camera itself is there any sort of audio level meter for each channel?
(Because I have a pair of fileld mixers but I'd prefer to reduce the number of tools.)

you can calibrate it some in system preferences, all apple monitors i've used have had pretty accurate color representation, or at least good enough that doing color correction hasn't caused any issues for me.

and the BMCC does not have audio levels at this time. you can check audio levels from the camera by using ultra scopes, or a field monitor that also has audio levels. but a mixer is always nice to have when recording audio.
- TZ

Screenscape Studios

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

adrjork wrote:The first idea about the project was a classic music recording: a complete Bach's piano music book, more or less 1h30'. The idea of combining it with a Straub-Huillet style silent film-track arrived later. The audience should be the same of a classic piano recital, so...

Ah, with the emphasis on the piano music book, it is really an extended music video then more than a documentary on your mother with the music in a supporting role only. And I so wanted to hear your mom sing!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Adriano Castaldini

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Ahahah! Mr. Lang you are wonderful! ;)))))

Adriano Castaldini

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Some doubts... and the estimate fluctuates.

1. Follow-Focus:
using the BMCC2.5 with a stabilizer, changing the focus, do you think a follow-focus surely will do the difference to steady the shot? (Do you say that the hand directly on the lens shakes it too much?)

2. μFT and filters:
Avoiding the idea of buying a matte-box (expensive and cumbersome), consequently I can't use the Tiffen IRND you suggested to me, but remaining with Tiffen there are the HT circular filters. Now... the 3 lenses I'd like to buy are:
-SLR Magic HyperPrime Cine 12mm T/1.6 (ø58)
All with ø58 (so apparently enought only a kit of filters for all lenses) but SLR wrote to me saying that Cine 12mm can't mount ø58 filters, but larger ø77 by a stepup to avoid vignetting. Later I saw in Tiffen's website that there are ø58 filters for normal and tele lenses, but also ø58 filters for wide angle filters!
What should I do? Buying ø77 kit for SLR, ø58 wide angle for Nokton25 and ø58HT for Nokton42??? I think I could buy only a kit of ø77 filters and mount it on the three different lenses by stepup-ring, but I suppose that the two Voigtlaender have their proper ø58 hoods. So which is the solution? Perhaps buying only a kit of ø77 filters, the stepup-ring to mount the filters, and then also the stepdown-ring to mount the original hoods? Or buying a new ø77-hood for each lens? (Is it safe - to avoid flares - to use non-specific hoods?)

3. Audio Mixer Field:
Obviously I like SoundDevices MIXPRE but it's a lot of money (850€). But there is also the Beachtek DXA-BMD, and it's the only one with 2*XLR_in and 2*balanced-TRS-1/4"_out (just for BMCC) that costs 400€ (with batteries and charger). But I have yet a ZoomH4 (not H4n, the older one) that is good but has unbalanced 1/8"jack-stereo_out (a bit poor for the BMCC). In your opinion is it better to buy something better then the Zoom?

Thanks for your help, guys.

Adriano Castaldini

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:47 am

Nobody?
C'mon guys, a little help for the first two questions (about follow-focus and filters' ring-size) ;)
Thanks.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 7:10 am

adrjork wrote:Some doubts... and the estimate fluctuates.

1. Follow-Focus:
using the BMCC2.5 with a stabilizer, changing the focus, do you think a follow-focus surely will do the difference to steady the shot? (Do you say that the hand directly on the lens shakes it too much?)

2. μFT and filters:
Avoiding the idea of buying a matte-box (expensive and cumbersome), consequently I can't use the Tiffen IRND you suggested to me, but remaining with Tiffen there are the HT circular filters. Now... the 3 lenses I'd like to buy are:
-SLR Magic HyperPrime Cine 12mm T/1.6 (ø58)
All with ø58 (so apparently enought only a kit of filters for all lenses) but SLR wrote to me saying that Cine 12mm can't mount ø58 filters, but larger ø77 by a stepup to avoid vignetting. Later I saw in Tiffen's website that there are ø58 filters for normal and tele lenses, but also ø58 filters for wide angle filters!
What should I do? Buying ø77 kit for SLR, ø58 wide angle for Nokton25 and ø58HT for Nokton42??? I think I could buy only a kit of ø77 filters and mount it on the three different lenses by stepup-ring, but I suppose that the two Voigtlaender have their proper ø58 hoods. So which is the solution? Perhaps buying only a kit of ø77 filters, the stepup-ring to mount the filters, and then also the stepdown-ring to mount the original hoods? Or buying a new ø77-hood for each lens? (Is it safe - to avoid flares - to use non-specific hoods?)

3. Audio Mixer Field:
Obviously I like SoundDevices MIXPRE but it's a lot of money (850€). But there is also the Beachtek DXA-BMD, and it's the only one with 2*XLR_in and 2*balanced-TRS-1/4"_out (just for BMCC) that costs 400€ (with batteries and charger). But I have yet a ZoomH4 (not H4n, the older one) that is good but has unbalanced 1/8"jack-stereo_out (a bit poor for the BMCC). In your opinion is it better to buy something better then the Zoom?

Thanks for your help, guys.

If by "stabilizer" you mean like a steadicam or glidecam, using a FF or adjusting focus directly via the lens focus ring will noticeably shake/jar the camera. Either focus between takes, and/or use a high aperture value for a very deep DOF (requires lots of light), and/or use a wireless focus drive system (expensive).

I use 77mm Tiffen filters and step-up rings on all my lenses, and one 77mm screw-on lens hood that I switch from lens to lens. I also have a matte box that I sometimes use instead of the lens hood (especially when I also want to use rotating graduated ND filters). Both approaches work fine.

If possible, buy audio (and most other) gear from a reputable dealer who allows a full refund if (on receipt) you determine the gear isn't suitable and want to return it. If that's not possible, before buying research reputable, hands-on product reviews, especially where they use the gear together with the same cam as yours, etc.

Adriano Castaldini

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Really precious answers Mr. DeCrescenzo!

My 1st question is about the 77mm screw-on hood: which one do you suggest to me (to be used on mFT lenses 12mm, 25mm, 42.5mm)? And also a doubt: if (almost) every lens has its own proper hood to avoid both flares and vignetting, so - in your experience - is it "safe" to use a single hood for all?

My 2nd question is about Follow-Focus on tripod this time: when the camera is screwed to the tripod, will adjusting focus directly via lens ring noticeably shake the camera?

About audio recorder... I've seen an interesting video made by «Robert from JuicedLink» saying that currently BMCC2.5 maintains curious audio anomalies. So I decided that I can save money using separately my ZoomH4 (+ a good mic) as audio recorder and the BMCC for video only. Obviously I lose sync, but it's easily solvable in post.
(If in the future I should have money for a SoundDevices 702T, in your opinion is the following combination possible: sending the clock from BMCC to 702T-recorder in order to record audio separately but maintaining the sync?)

Thanks so much.

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:44 pm

I am also interested in audio options. I have an h4n and it is incredible and I love it to no end. however as of late I have been thinking about a way to get h4n quality every time i hit the record botton on the camera...then i could use the external recorder for house audio at events and a usable feed into the camera as well with my shotgun mic. but my mic requires phantom power so I am all about looking into a camera connected device. if I find out anything eye opening I will let you know.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Adriano Castaldini

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks! :)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 am

Here's how I handle audio with the BMCC (refer to the details on the Vimeo page):

Concerning your question about using a follow-focus with a camera on a tripod: You see FF "focus pulls" performed during shots fairly frequently in professional video productions. The camera & lens won't vibrate/move while focusing if the FF, lens & add-on lens gears (if any) are well-designed.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 4:03 am

adrjork wrote:... My 1st question is about the 77mm screw-on hood: which one do you suggest to me (to be used on mFT lenses 12mm, 25mm, 42.5mm)? And also a doubt: if (almost) every lens has its own proper hood to avoid both flares and vignetting, so - in your experience - is it "safe" to use a single hood for all? ...

This lens hood from GenusTech is adjustable, so perhaps it'll work with all your lenses:
http://shop.genustech.tv/collections/ge ... ystem-77mm

If not, either use a separate lens hood for each lens, or use a matte box with adjustable flags.

Adriano Castaldini

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 9:40 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:The camera & lens won't vibrate/move while focusing if the FF, lens & add-on lens gears (if any) are well-designed.
Well, I thought something light and cheap, like this:
-the camera
-the Switronix PB70-BMCC battery screwed on the bottom of the camera
-the Edelkrone Pocket rig screwed on the bottom of the battery
-the Edelkrone FocusOne pro
-Manfrotto tripod
The point is... if with this set the difference (shaking risk) between FF and NO-FF is not so appreciable, then I'd save money and I'd go for controlling directly with lens' ring.
What is your advice guys?

Adriano Castaldini

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 3:17 am

Some ideas about “light” Follow-Focus for BMCC:

1. Edelkrone: FocusOnePro + Rods + CameraPlate (600$)
http://edelkrone.com/e-store/61-focuson ... 80408.html

2. D|Focus: D|Mount_Bundle (240$)
http://dfocussystem.com/d-bundles/d-mount-bundle

3. HONDO Garage: EverythingYouNeedPro (239$)
http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/pr ... u-need-pro

4. Engineerable: FocusShifter (50$)
http://www.focusshifter.com/follow-focus-dslr/buy/

My 1st choice is the 4th: FocusShifter. So simple and so effective. And the minimal “rubbery” backlash seems useful to smooth focus changing. But I fear that the elastic band that fix the FocusMarker panel can stress the lens. Am I thinking wrong?

My 2nd choice is the 3rd: HONDO, because it works with both belts or gear (and I prefer gear to not stress the lens), and can be screwed upside-down to the top of the BMCC.

My 3rd choice is the 2nd: D|Mount_Bundle (perhaps screwed upside-down to the top of the BMCC). It's light and cheap, but I don't like that the marker doesn't face directly to the user.

My 4th choice is the 1st: Edelkrone's FocusOne. I must say that I like this more than the D|Mount (and FocusOne's marker face to the user!) but it costs more than double!

Which are your opinions guys?

Return to Cinematography