need digital video recorder

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

JohnDSimmons

need digital video recorder

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 pm

What product can record video via a multi-plug box being shot by a pool camera in a courtroom situation? I am totally new to this technology and don't even know what I'm looking at on the BlackMagic site. I asked 5 different television stations using the mult box and each one was using a different device to grab the video being shot by a 6th channel. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: need digital video recorder

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello John. If you could post the specific model and/or specifications of the box you are talking about, maybe some of the users could help a bit better.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Eric-Jan

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Specs of the existing setup is needed.... there are different options in input connections SDI/HDMI etc...
different options in record/stream with a pc or laptop, or directly store on SD flash cards, or SSD units in a device, are long cables in use ... etc... same resolution & frame rate everywhere ? no scalers needed ?
Otherwise you should need to checkout the BMD products for their specs one by one, but BMD has different lines of products which is narrowing it down already, some devices can be powered by their interface also in some cases, be it Thunderbold or ethernet (PoE) some devices can be operated by DIP switches, some by an frontpanel, others by computer interface, by software, depending on distance, different types of cables are used, (HDMI, COAX, optical FIBER)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

JohnDSimmons

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Here's the set up I'm facing. Courtroom, where one of the local TV stations is the pool camera. They run a cable back to a multi plug box where everyone else can plug in their various recorders. I have both male and female XLR plugs to a 3.5mm TRS. So all the TV stations have a person monitoring their recording device that is taking the feed from the courtroom. I need the device at the end of the line that records/stores the feed so that our newspaper can use the video.

I apologize for not being more technically savvy. Just new to all of this. When I asked all the folks from the stations what they were using each one had a different device. Only one mentioned he had a BlackMagic device but didn't have a model number.

JohnDSimmons

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm now looking at the Blackmagic Design Video Assist HDMI/6G-SDI Recorder w/ 5" monitor. I am guessing there are cables available that would go from the device to a mult box.

Eric-Jan

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 9:37 pm

Maybe you should also think of some "safeguard" for the recorder becaause i gues it's a un secure system you're connecting to ? i mean will there be signal drop outs ? will your recorder keep recording after that ?
The recorder you now mention i meant for portable camera rigs, the 4K version will record continuosly from slot to slot so you can "refill" in time.
There's also the Hyperdeck Studio, and the Hyperdeck Studio Mini,
The mini uses also 2 SD card slots with this continueous recording option slot to slot, the Studio version uses fast 2.5" SSD's
Only extra options some of these have you should look up in the specs to suit your needs.
Where SDI connections are used for the long distance connections.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Howard Roll

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 11:21 pm

I'm hip to what you're laying down, press feed/mult box/press pool.

One of these guys or it's rack mount cousin.

https://www.opamplabs.com/products/01-o ... boxes.html

Getting the right recorder is going to depend on what is coming out of that box. If it's analog I'm sorry I can't help, my Delorean is in the shop. Dollars to donuts it's 1080i or 720p with an outside chance of 486/576i

For portable monitor recorders that have HDSDI inputs as well as analog inputs there are a few;
BM Video Assist 7"
Atomos Shogun 7"
Pix E5 5"
Odyssey 7Q+

What you could ask of the cameraman/mam to help increase your understanding and ours;
Analog or Digital?
High Def or Standard Def?
Embedded audio or discrete?

Good Luck

Denny Smith

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 1:32 am

Another option to what Howard suggested, is the Pix 220/230 which records to SSD drives, will do long takes depending on the size of the SSD, has a monitor, and will synchronize video and separate analog audio feeds. It takes SD, and HD digital video feeds (220 is hdmi and requires a SDI/hdmi Converter) the 230 is SDI inlut ready. I have a nice Pix 220 kit available, with Atomos SDI/HDMI Converter that attaches to the Pix battery mount and gives you the needed SDI input. Send me a PM for details. This will cost less than a PixE and comes with analog XLR audio inputs, while the PixE needs an accessory XLr audio LR added to it, but the PixE is a sweet unit.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started