Blackmagic eGPU

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Joakley

Blackmagic eGPU

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 6:08 pm

Hey guys.

Still trying to plan ahead here, as I will be purchasing the new BMPCC.

I plan on using Resolve (and maybe the NLE I currently use as well). Anyway, I’m trying my damnest to avoid running into any problems when I bring that fantastic Blackmagic footage into Resolve to color grade and edit it.

I have a new(ish) MacBook Pro 15”...with touch bar and all that crap. But, from what I’ve been reading on forums and whatnot, my computer will most likely still be “underpowered” when it comes to color grading in Resolve.

So here’s my question: I found this Blackmagic eGPU for Mac and I was wondering if this will help give my machine the juice it needs to work with video files and not make me want to punch a hole in my screen.
It boasts “desktop-class graphics performance” and “accelerated graphics-intensive workflows”.

There’s a part 2 to the question...is it THAT much better than the GPU I have?

My MacBook Pro
Radeon Pro 560
VRAM- 4096MB (whatever that means)

Blackmagic eGPU
Radeon Pro 580 (not sure of the specifications)

Not sure how to read and interpret specs, but at a glance it doesn’t look like it’s a huge difference. I spent a lot of dough on the laptop and I MAY be willing to spend a little more for an eGPU. If it is enough to make a significant difference.

Can I get some insight here?

Thanks guys

Also, I understand that I just can’t beat some huge desktop workstation. But I absolutely need portability...and I’m too stupid to build one.

Eric-Jan

Re: Blackmagic eGPU

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Important: 1st checkout the interface of both ! which Thunderbold/USB version is used ! the eGPU is mainly ment for new MAC hardware ! check this carefully !
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Joakley

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 6:37 pm

USB-C thunderbolt.

Which is what my MacBook has. I really want to know how much better, if at all, it will perform.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 7:12 pm

There are some tests done on Youtube, better results where also with monitor directly on eGPU,
but the videos will mention pro's and con's and also will mention in which configs it will be of use, there's a lot of difference in that, which is not as one woulld expect, so what this would mean for you is hard to say,
my impression from it all is, that it's good for low spec MAC's and does not add much value for high end MAC's.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Joakley

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 1:40 am

Eric-Jan wrote:There are some tests done on Youtube, better results where also with monitor directly on eGPU,
but the videos will mention pro's and con's and also will mention in which configs it will be of use, there's a lot of difference in that, which is not as one woulld expect, so what this would mean for you is hard to say,
my impression from it all is, that it's good for low spec MAC's and does not add much value for high end MAC's.

I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos. It APPEARS as though it improves performance when color grading and rendering. But I guess I’m looking for certainty...especially given the price.

Eric-Jan

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Then only an expert from BMD can answer that question for you, best done by email, where you give the specs of your setup: precise model (year) of your MAC, RAM, CPU, internal GPU... etc.. then they can tell you what you gain with the eGPU, and judge yourself if it's worth for you, also if you're satisfied with the speed gain Davinci Resolve will have, because Davinci is the most optimised software for MAC & eGPU.
Depends also if you don't upgrade to an newer model MAC, in the near future, which maybe renders the eGPU useless.. it stays a bit tricky....
Success !

MartinOzFox

PostSun Oct 07, 2018 12:03 am

I have a Raidion Rx580 in 2017 imac i7 4.2ghz the Video card has 8gb of Video ram
Previously I was using a older MacBook Pro with Nvidia gtx with 2gb of Video ram
The upgrade in performance has been huge and made grading much more pleasant and render times much much shorter.
Resolve eats Video ram I work mostly in HD with some 4K sources and it is a sweet system

Eventually I will get an egpu , perhaps when I have to deliver 4K, but not the blackmagic one , because the gpu inside is not upgrade-able
It’s an old tech video card
I will probably get the raidon Vega 64 frontier edition with 16gb of Video ram

Take a look at max yuryev on utube
And this thread on lift gamma gain
https://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/ind ... 2017.9514/
I’ve had to learn a lot about GPUs I suggest you keep looking b4 spending the money, eg look at all the “my gpu reports out of memory” threads in the resolve forum
iMac i7 2018 32GB 2x Rx580 8GB
Ezio CS2420, BMD Ultrastudio,Micro panel, Beatstep controller, Keymand+keyboard maestro, Sata Raid

InMnBob

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 am

Is there any support here for eGPU and new Mac Mini? I can’t get video from the desktop when I go from Mac to eGPU to monitor. I can’t boot either because all I get is black screen.

My monitor has two thunderbolt ports so I was able to go from Mac to monitor to eGPU which seems backwards but it did work.

What confusing is I can go from my MacBook Pro to the eGPU to the monitor so it’s not the monitor or the cables.

Thoughts ?

Return to Getting Started