HyperDeck Studio 12g 16 channels of SDI audio IN/OUT

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Goblynn93

HyperDeck Studio 12g 16 channels of SDI audio IN/OUT

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 2:49 am

What's the right way to get 16 channels of audio in and out from the HyperDeck Studio 12g via SDI?

Thomas Seewald

Re: HyperDeck Studio 12g 16 channels of SDI audio IN/OUT

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 4:34 pm

I‘m not sure about 12g, but for embedding and disembedding there exist some Blackmagig Mini Converters (Audio to SDI and SDI to audio). Every unit works with 4 analog channels or 8 AES/EBU.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello Brian. With our products, the only choice for 12G is the Teranex mini Audio to SDI for embedding, and Teranex Mini SDI to Audio for de embedding. Unfortunately with analog audio it would take 8 of each unit to accomplish 16 analog channels. If the audio is AES, then 4 of each would do. I'm not sure that is the most efficient method but it would work.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 8:08 pm

8 units will also give 8 frames delay... Not a problem when recording.. (well you might need to sync offset) But for Imag this could be a huge problem.. ;) ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 8:27 pm

Oh, I see. The old 3g - models are much cheeper and can handle more channels than the 6G and 12G versions. Sorry, no good Idea to build such limited devices (half amount of channels at 12g compared to the 3g model) for such a high price (2,5x more). So we have 5x more price per channel.

Daniel if audio is also delayed, we will have a cascaded delay for the channels...but I thought, that the delay is only some lines, not a frame.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Goblynn93

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 7:15 am

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Brian. With our products, the only choice for 12G is the Teranex mini Audio to SDI for embedding, and Teranex Mini SDI to Audio for de embedding. Unfortunately with analog audio it would take 8 of each unit to accomplish 16 analog channels. If the audio is AES, then 4 of each would do. I'm not sure that is the most efficient method but it would work.

Regards, Gary

Thanks for the reply! I have a couple of the Teranex Audio->SDI for my Hyperdeck Minis and an SDI->Audio that I put at the far end of my downstream for anything that can embed audio upstream but that looping boxes together solution seems like its going to cause some issues. Was hoping for something a little more elegant.

A full rack width device, single height, with an SDI IN and 16 XLR IN that lays all 16 (14 if you're using the BMD camera coms) audio channel to the available SDI channels would be nice. Even 8 channels analog for surround recording/playback laid into an SDI would be really nice. (AES/EBU is rarely/never an option for me, the concept is nice but I literally have nothing and know no one who can handle that capacity)

I can get the audio out without much issue... that's easy!! Run the SDI into my router and out into 4 (or 8) SDI->Analog boxes in parallel and done, everything done all at once.

I can't do a parallel input like that.

What would be really REALLY nice is a box like (dreaming here):
16 XLR input, 8 SDI input, 8 SDI output, one stop box for control of audio on SDI channels.
Either run the XLR in Left/Right pairs and send one pair to each SDI output letting you embed 8 different stereo feeds to 8 different record decks (or the same 8 stereo feeds to 8 different record decks) or 16 separate channels of audio all at once. Sort of an audio routing/switching SDI embedded with options... Yeah I like to dream :)

Return to Getting Started