Used TV Logic -- Budget monitor question

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Timothy Clark

Used TV Logic -- Budget monitor question

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Hey there!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a professional colorist and don't pretend to be. I'm mostly a videographer/VFX/Audio person. Most of my work is for clients internal training, eCourses or web advertising, but I do find a few budget TV opportunities come my way every now and then such as editing budget shows and etc.
I'm looking at adding a bit more value to the ol' workflow and expanding my coloring abilities beyond slapping filmconvert on a clip and correcting errant white balances/general midtone horrors from overly enthusiastic camera dudes. I've started using Resolve and am enjoying it for the most part, but now we've come to referencing.

I've repented of my old evil ways of using GUI monitors (even my calibrated one) as my reference monitor. Now I am looking at the best budget color critical display I can get for the money, and it has become between either something like an Eizo CS/CG2420, BenQ P270 (Although I'm a little skeptical of it), or a used TV Logic XVM - 175W that my old work is selling. The monitor has seen light-moderate use, and I know it likely is the best display in those I listed...but it's very hard to find those used, so I'm not sure of a fair price. They mentioned $1500...is that a good deal? Honestly, I'm not sure of the average depreciation of something like this. They go for $2500 new, however, the monitor was bought in 2013, so I'm not even sure if it's worth it to buy now.

Any help is appreciated.

Howard Roll

Re: Used TV Logic -- Budget monitor question

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 12:03 am

I use TV Logic 17" monitors in flypacks frequently and I think they just can't handle the beating. I see one or two die on the job every year. It's usually the same fault, intermittent input/flicker, they might be crappy for a week then just come back to life then die for good a week later.

P.S. The little 4 bangers can't take the heat either.

Good Luck

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 07, 2018 6:37 am

Timothy Clark wrote:The monitor has seen light-moderate use, and I know it likely is the best display in those I listed...but it's very hard to find those used, so I'm not sure of a fair price. They mentioned $1500...is that a good deal?

The LG C7 OLED's are available for about $1500 if you shop around, but you'll need to get them accurately calibrated. Once that's done, it's perfectly satisfactory for Rec709/broadcast/online work.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

netbuster

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Timothy Clark wrote:Hey there!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a professional colorist and don't pretend to be. I'm mostly a videographer/VFX/Audio person. Most of my work is for clients internal training, eCourses or web advertising, but I do find a few budget TV opportunities come my way every now and then such as editing budget shows and etc.
I'm looking at adding a bit more value to the ol' workflow and expanding my coloring abilities beyond slapping filmconvert on a clip and correcting errant white balances/general midtone horrors from overly enthusiastic camera dudes. I've started using Resolve and am enjoying it for the most part, but now we've come to referencing.

I've repented of my old evil ways of using GUI monitors (even my calibrated one) as my reference monitor. Now I am looking at the best budget color critical display I can get for the money, and it has become between either something like an Eizo CS/CG2420, BenQ P270 (Although I'm a little skeptical of it), or a used TV Logic XVM - 175W that my old work is selling. The monitor has seen light-moderate use, and I know it likely is the best display in those I listed...but it's very hard to find those used, so I'm not sure of a fair price. They mentioned $1500...is that a good deal? Honestly, I'm not sure of the average depreciation of something like this. They go for $2500 new, however, the monitor was bought in 2013, so I'm not even sure if it's worth it to buy now.

Any help is appreciated.

I think you will find something up to $ 1000 for leisure.

Return to Post Production