Best practice between two laptops

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

langy_01

Best practice between two laptops

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 8:34 am

I've been using Premiere Pro CS5 for quite some time creating YouTube videos mainly recorded from my GoPro. The issue I had was that PP CS5 doesn't like GoPro files so they had to be uploaded to YouTube and then downloaded to put into PP CS5 to work on, which is a lot of work and loss of quality.

I have two Dell Latitude E5450 identical laptops I use, one at work and one at home both running Win 8.

My current project (lots of video clips to create a 20 minute video) I have just about completed on the laptop at home. The issue I have is transferring the data to the laptop at work to do some work on that.

The work laptop is running version 15.0.0032 and the one at home may be slightly older, still version 15 though.
If I export the project at home I cannot get this to open on the laptop at work.

All media files are held on a USB stick which when plugged into either laptop are on drive D so there should be no path issues.

If I restore the project to the work laptop it just hangs on opening, sitting there at 100%.

Resolve is great but using a database for project files is no good for working between machines. Having proper project files you can just open on any computer is far quicker and far easier.

davidbr

Re: Best practice between two laptops

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Either put everything including the premiere files on an external hard drive or have the footage in two places and put the premiere files in the cloud on Dropbox. Are you a member of Adobe creative cloud?

or just try with a different formats, this article could be helpful: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/us ... tions.html

Dermot Shane

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 2:06 am

we commonly share projects in Resolve trouble free, our workflow is to conform and create an archive, this is shared on our NAS, and copied on to an external drive if i want to work on the project at home

drive & folder nameing is identical on all machines

once the archive is restored on a given machine it's easy and reliable to move DRP's between machines

davidbr

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 1:37 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:
drive & folder nameing is identical on all machines

once the archive is restored on a given machine it's easy and reliable to move DRP's between machines

yes, i totally agree. Is it the same in your situation? Please let us know if it resolved your problem.

Return to Post Production