BMPCC4K start shipping

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Silver

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 1:59 am

I'm April 12 at B&H. Still says backordered.

Mark de Jeu

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 2:03 am

Jim Giberti wrote:My B&H order changed from backordered to: In Stock, Order Sent To Warehouse - In Process.
Me too.

Ordered right after the announcement. (or was it during? too excited to remember...)
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Demetrius Spencer

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 3:06 am

I ordered from Adorama on april 8th as well and was told they didn’t have any info note a shipment in sight.

Al Slamecka

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 3:25 am

I too preordered from Adorama on April 9th and was also told the same today - they haven't received any cameras nor notification from BMD when to expect a shipment.

A bit surprised as B&H clearly are fulfilling a few early preorders.

focuspulling

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 3:29 am

FYI -- not crowing here, just feeling lucky and excited for the thought of many creating content with this new game-changing product -- mine shipped tonight from B&H, via FedEx notification around 11pm EST. So, general U.S. domestic shipments should begin to arrive by the end of the week, before the weekend downtime.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 3:46 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Dean Fisher

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 4:12 am

Al Slamecka wrote:I too preordered from Adorama on April 9th and was also told the same today - they haven't received any cameras nor notification from BMD when to expect a shipment.

A bit surprised as B&H clearly are fulfilling a few early preorders.

Interesting! I received this response from Adorama I only pre-ordered on September 5th:

Upon checking, I can see that stocks that was received before was allocated for the first customer's who made an order for this item.

Unfortunately we do not have the numbers of how many quantities manufacturer will be deliver to us by the 2nd week of October.

We cannot determine as well on how many customer's will be on the next batch as we do not have the line placement information.
Thank you for shopping with us we appreciate your business.

DasRatchet

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 10:14 am

I ordered mine september 14th.. what do you guys think, will it arrive at all? :roll:

I ordered from B&H, and I live in Austria, so jeah..

Robert Wiklund

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 12:46 pm

I preordered May 7 from a company in Sweden. They are still waiting for their deliveries, and they have not received any time frame for delivery.

Andy Coulthurst

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 1:07 pm

Robert Wiklund wrote:I preordered May 7 from a company in Sweden. They are still waiting for their deliveries, and they have not received any time frame for delivery.

I find it curious the distribution of cameras to people who pre-ordered ( I ordered 7:30pm on the 9th of April in the UK , 19 minutes after the email was sent from CVP ). CVP sent an email last week saying shipping would be soon. However I know of a couple of people who ordered later than me and have received their cameras. Oh world what did I do to deserve this :lol:
Still waiting ( impatiently)

EonEntertainment

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 1:58 pm

focuspulling wrote:FYI -- not crowing here, just feeling lucky and excited for the thought of many creating content with this new game-changing product -- mine shipped tonight from B&H, via FedEx notification around 11pm EST. So, general U.S. domestic shipments should begin to arrive by the end of the week, before the weekend downtime.

When did you order? I ordered right after the announcement and was just told by a B&H rep that they haven't received any. :oops: :oops:

WadeShepard

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 2:33 pm

I spoke with a guy at B&H yesterday and he told me that a giant order is coming in tomorrow that will cover all preorders. Make what you will of this. I also placed a backup order with SafeHarbor (sharbor.com), where I'm only #5 in line. Jeff there says that he ordered 12 and that he expects them in soon. He's also already shipped some out.
Last edited by WadeShepard on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ciordia9

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 2:52 pm

I wanted to know two things from B&H, do I know where I am in the queue and can I modify an order to add items for shipping to it w/o disrupting my queue. All I got was:

Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

Unfortunately we don't have an expected delivery date at this time for your order as it is currently backordered by the manufacturer. We unfortunately are unable to advise where in line you are at this time.

Still want to know about the modification of the order. No need for me to sit on extra equipment when it can't be in use and it's not paying for itself. :P

Richard Carlson

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Andy Coulthurst wrote:
Robert Wiklund wrote:I preordered May 7 from a company in Sweden. They are still waiting for their deliveries, and they have not received any time frame for delivery.

I find it curious the distribution of cameras to people who pre-ordered ( I ordered 7:30pm on the 9th of April in the UK , 19 minutes after the email was sent from CVP ). CVP sent an email last week saying shipping would be soon. However I know of a couple of people who ordered later than me and have received their cameras. Oh world what did I do to deserve this :lol:

Also ordered on 9th April around the same time of evening. Same emails etc. I understand only 5 cams were received by Holdans this week for onward distribution. Going to contact CVP tomorrow and ask them to delay shipping mine ( I should be so lucky! ) as I will be out of the country next week.
Richard Carlson
BMPCC, BMPCC 4K
GH3,GH4,A7S,6D,LX100

JordanWright

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Im in a similar position as you guys. I ordered at 19:10 9/4 and I am yet to have any info on my order. CVP did tell me that my order falls within the first 20 but since the 'good news we are shipping' email, they haven't been able to give me any more info other than 'no confirmation yet other than that they are on their way'.

Smurph2020

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 4:01 pm

I just spoke with customer support at B&H and they said that they have over 1,000 pre-orders for the Pocket 4K camera. To me, that means if you're late on the list don't get your hopes up on getting the camera any time soon with the slow roll out.

I think in the meantime I'll call around to some of the smaller more local resellers and see what they have coming to their stores.

Cheers and good luck!!

rick.lang

BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 4:04 pm

When comparing your pre-order dates to others’ please keep in mind that your customer pre-order is with your vendor. It doesn’t go to the regional centers or to BMD HQ. So there are two scenarios at play here to illustrate:

Retailer B$H places an order with BMD for 200 cameras on April 8 close of day. B$H may have received 100 preorders from customers by April 8 close of day so they’re confident they receive at least 200 preorders in April based on history.

Retailer Safe$ placed an order with BMD for 2 cameras by 9:30 am April 8. They may have sold 5 cameras the previous year and they’re betting they can meet that level again by the time cameras ship. They receive their first customer preorder September 15.

Who wins the race to receive a camera? The September 15 customer preorder from Safe$.

The examples are extreme, but that’s how it plays out. With very limited production in the first run (for example there are 500 cameras ready at release) and several hundreds of retailers around the globe having made preorders during NAB 2018, the vendor orders are processed according to their date. But in the spirit of getting cameras to all vendors, the smallest early retailers may receive one or two if they ordered April 8 and the largest retailers may only receive 5 or 10 cameras initially, maybe only a couple.

This appears to be how it’s been done in the past and we’ve been reminded recently that orders are processed in sequential order based on the date. But BMD doesn’t mean they fill all of the retailers’ original orders. They mean they start shipping to the retailer based on order date. BMD also spreads the love to ensure most retailers with early orders will receive at least one camera. Only the retailers know about your preorders and only BMD Regional knows about all their retail orders. The distribution of cameras to the retailers is managed by the regional centres.

Disclaimer: this is only illustrative and any resemblance to actual retailers or facts is purely coincidental.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Smurph2020, the response from B&H indicates the Pocket4K will be a great success. The original Pocket was BMD’s best selling camera and this update of the camera may take the new crown in the next year.

Rick Lang

Fabián Aguirre

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 pm

Adorama has just charged my card and the camera is being prepared for shipment. Ordered 9 April around 2 pm.

Fabián
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 4:33 pm

Adorama got the ew release BM camera’s first, last time. Now B&H is getting them first this time!
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

roger.magnusson

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 5:43 pm

I preordered on April 10th and Scandinavian Photo says I'll get one in their next shipment.

Mark de Jeu

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 5:48 pm

Mark de Jeu wrote:
Jim Giberti wrote:My B&H order changed from backordered to: In Stock, Order Sent To Warehouse - In Process.
Me too.

Ordered right after the announcement. (or was it during? too excited to remember...)
B&H order status just changed to Shipped, and e-mail shipment confirmation received!! Order was placed just after the announcement on April 9th.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Demetrius Spencer

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Got confirmation email from Adorama today. My units shipped today. Ordered immediately after press conference on 4/9...

Jim Giberti

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 pm

In praise of B&H.
I got my "sent to warehouse" change but as of this morning it was still "Processing".

My big hope with delivery was that they would arrive in time for a few Autumn shoots for a few client films.
So getting here by the 5th actually met that goal (we'll be peak next week in VT) but of course I needed a couple of days to get them set up and comfortable with the new camera.

It was obvious that they're playing catchup after the holiday break and because of it, though my camera was ready to ship, it wouldn't until tomorrow arriving next Tuesday.

So I nicely mentioned my hope to Reggie, customer service guru at B&H. No pressure, no ask other than "do you think it could ship today because I'd have it for the long weekend to work with it."

When I got back from meetings just now, not only had he got shipping to get it out today, he upgraded my shipping to next day, so I'd have it tomorrow.

I've done most all of my company's biz w/ B&H for 25 years or so...easily a house mortage. I'd never mention that and I suppose he could have looked at some history but I doubt it. The bottom line is for no other reason than he wanted to be a great rep of his business, he went well out of his way, without ask to do something of real value.

Good on them.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Jim Giberti wrote:
When I got back from meetings just now, not only had he got shipping to get it out today, he upgraded my shipping to next day, so I'd have it tomorrow.

What a great story!

Enjoy the camera...hope the colors are good this year what with the very dry summer followed by a very wet September. We drove through northern Maine a few weeks ago and there were already a few spots of color.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Jim Giberti

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks Brad.

I hope so too. One of the Autumn shoots is for a series of Maine Moments.

wherlpro

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 11:37 pm

I ordered one from B&H on 4/16 then order another from Adorama on 8/13. Both currently say "backordered".
Emailed B&H first thing this morning. No response. The wait continues...

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 12:17 am

In my experience both Adorama and B&H have great customer support, and are useually fast shipping.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 2:51 am

Just got a call from John Barry Group Sydney - my PCC4K has arrived. Ordered it about 5 weeks ago. Woo hoo!
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Chris Chiasson

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 3:07 am

On the Canada end of things, Vistek sent a message saying orders will be arriving next week, and to expect a slow fulfillment of Pre-orders over several weeks.

visalapol

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 5:12 am

How much Manufactured Capacity for BMPCC4k, Somebody known? I just want to estimate pre-order fulfillment. :D

Adam Silver

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 12:56 pm

visalapol wrote:How much Manufactured Capacity for BMPCC4k, Somebody known? I just want to estimate pre-order fulfillment. :D

I believe Tim Schumann mentioned in another thread that they are ramping up production significantly as of last week.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Denny Smith wrote:In my experience both Adorama and B&H have great customer support, and are useually fast shipping.
Cheers

Yeah, I've found B&H to be almost as good as Amazon Prime. Unfortunately the initial distribution strategy for this product follows the pattern of the UM4.7K which favors smaller resellers over larger resellers. So being on the tail end of the waiting list at B&H for a BM product where they announced well before shipping means it could take months before you get your camera. If you want this camera sooner, I think you would be better off scouring this thread for posts from people just getting their cameras from resellers near you and giving those resellers a call to see what kind of waiting list they have. Or you could wait.

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 6:17 pm

I agree Gene, and I ordered my camera from a local West Coast dealer in Washington. I prefer dealing with local sources when I can, and you also get great “customer service” for the small guys, as that is the biggest and best product. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Sean van Berlo

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Man, is anyone getting this in the Netherlands already? Seems like we are getting shafted ... :/

Valentin Remy

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:Man, is anyone getting this in the Netherlands already? Seems like we are getting shafted ... :/

Checking Kamera Express often, no change in stock status. I'm checking here and there around Belgium but can't find it in stock.
http://www.instagram.com/valentinremy.be/

Justin Jackson

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Well.. I hope the guy that said BH has large shipment that covers all pre-orders is true! I ordered Sep 18 before the time got changed to November (still said October then) and was told that those that ordered before the date got changed should be receiving it within a month. Here is to hoping I get it before Halloween so I can test it out that night!!
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

domisol

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 9:26 pm

Here is B&H reply to my enquiry, I remind that my order was placed 4/9 at 11:40pm.
Jean-David

We unfortunately don't have an exact date for this yet but your order should be covered by the first shipments based on when the order was placed.
Also, item BLCCPOC4KDC is only expected in early November but item BLAXLRMINI2 is in stock now.
--
Jean-David Collard

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Unfortunately the initial distribution strategy for this product follows the pattern of the UM4.7K which favors smaller resellers over larger resellers.

Since BMD is shipping to resellers based on their preorder timestamps, the distribution method favors resellers that aren't well known to be Black Magic resellers, regardless of their size. ;)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 10:08 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Unfortunately the initial distribution strategy for this product follows the pattern of the UM4.7K which favors smaller resellers over larger resellers.

Since BMD is shipping to resellers based on their preorder timestamps, the distribution method favors resellers that aren't well known to be Black Magic resellers, regardless of their size. ;)

I thought BM was shipping a limited number of units to national distribution centers and they were then shipping to resellers. I'm guessing that there are 50 units to a pallet, and they are sending a pallet to each national distribution center and perhaps some of the distribution centers are sending units to resellers based on order timestamp. If that is the case I do not see how this does not disadvantage large resellers from small resellers. Proportionally they will get a much smaller delivery rate than a smaller reseller since they will have a much larger number of orders in proportion.

For example a small reseller might have two pre-orders, whereas a large reseller might have 20 orders. If each gets just one camera the fulfillment rate of the small reseller is ten times faster than the large reseller. If it takes two weeks for the small reseller to fulfill all pre-orders it will take twenty weeks for the large reseller to do so. There is no reason to think that the time distribution of orders will differ significantly across resellers.

Fornez

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:Well.. I hope the guy that said BH has large shipment that covers all pre-orders is true! I ordered Sep 18 before the time got changed to November (still said October then) and was told that those that ordered before the date got changed should be receiving it within a month. Here is to hoping I get it before Halloween so I can test it out that night!!

Same, September 11th for me, when the store came back online. It said Oct 5th for me

Iain Bason

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 11:35 pm

Just got mine from B&H. I ordered 4/9 at about 5:45 p.m. EDT.

Here's hoping everyone gets theirs soon!

Edward Blume-Poulton

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 11:48 pm

I ordered mine from a Melbourne Camera shop on May 1. I picked it up late last Wednesday. I know the shop had an original pre-order of 20 and pre-sale of 8. They were shipped 5 from Sydney late Monday. Quite a relief as I fly to Rome in two weeks and plan to use it at a number of archaeological sites.

Very impressed with the easy learning curve. Not so easy getting it set up on the Feiyu a2000. No way it will fit with the usual camera mounted left. Fortunately, it is workable to mount the camera on the right. It is still a bit cramped with the cable for the T5 ssd plugged in. This may be a problem with other gimbals too.

domisol

PostSat Oct 06, 2018 6:30 am

Please Jim, what was the date and hour your order was made?
thanks

Jim Giberti wrote:Yes to shipping.

My B&H order changed from backordered to: In Stock, Order Sent To Warehouse - In Process.
--
Jean-David Collard

Chris Whitten

PostSat Oct 06, 2018 10:26 am

Andy Coulthurst wrote:CVP sent an email last week saying shipping would be soon. However I know of a couple of people who ordered later than me and have received their cameras. Oh world what did I do to deserve this :lol:

I ordered almost 24 hours later and haven't had any delivery notice from CVP, just that shipping soon generic email last week.
Chris Whitten

James M

PostSat Oct 06, 2018 11:29 pm

I called my local Dallas - Fort Worth BMD vendor from the show floor on day one of NAB back in April and against all my normal instincts asked if they would put me on their waiting list.

Got a call yesterday (October 5th) explaining they had one (don't know if it was their only one - I should have asked) and I could have it. I had to drop off a repair anyway so I drove over and snagged it immediately. Haven't had time to do anything other than attach lenses and fire it up. Weight and balance are great, though my lenses add some heft to it. Menus are crazy easy and intuitive. Screen is acceptably visible in daylight.

Haven't done any real shooting. Though I hope to get out and test things soon. I'm busy with two other edits. So the camera sits mocking me.

Has anyone else in DFW or Texas in general had theirs ship?
Cameras don't make bad pictures. People do.

rick.lang

PostSun Oct 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Remember most manufacturers of complex niche products will follow a cycle that begins with prototypes, and then production samples, followed by limited production runs as they adjust production lines, and finally ramped up to full capacity production volumes. We see prototypes in April, samples in July, limited production in September, and likely full production in November. We’re all eager to receive another camera or a first camera as soon as possible after the release date.

But this cycle is a good thing, because the manufacturer is limited in their time and ability to test all situations and it’s always going to be a couple of months to iron out kinks in manufacturing or flaws in coding for example, before the perfected item can be confidently produced in high volumes without much risk to the manufacturer that key components will fail prematurely or be discovered to be lacking and require costly reparations (perhaps the worst case being those magenta-plagued 2016 Mini 4.6K sensors).
Rick Lang

Frank McCright

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 12:39 am

Can someone explain why so many other countries are considered a priority and have already received their cameras while a lot of us in the USA have to wait? I'm seeing YouTube videos of review after review of people saying they pre-ordered the camera. It is just where it's manufactured?
-Frank

www.yogomi.com
www.pressnine.com
www.fbm4.com
www.stellarmusic.com

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 12:48 am

Frank McCright wrote:Can someone explain why so many other countries are considered a priority and have already received their cameras while a lot of us in the USA have to wait? I'm seeing YouTube videos of review after review of people saying they pre-ordered the camera. It is just where it's manufactured?

My guess is that as a pallet of cameras is ready to ship they send it to a national or regional distributor. The closer to Australia the sooner it arrives. But my guess is that proportionally the closer distributors have fewer orders, so they fill their backlog sooner. The further distribution centers in the US probably have many more orders so one pallet doesn't put much of a dent in the regional backlog. However the smaller resellers in a given region will fill their backlog sooner than the larger resellers for similar reasons.

Jim Giberti

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 12:53 am

B&H got a bunch out before the weekend.

I'd guess that they're arriving at the other big distributors and people will see them this coming week.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography