DSK on ME 2-4

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
Gandyman

DSK on ME 2-4

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Hey everyone,

New to the forum and blackmagic products, but fairly well versed in live production. Work just recently purchased the ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K with the 1 M/E advanced panel. So far it has really be fun to learn and use so far. However, I have noticed that the DSK does not work on other M/Es outside of ME 1. Is this just use error or a draw back of the ATEM switcher system? The Upstream keyers can be overlayed on the frame when in the other M/Es but DSK only overlays onto ME 1 even when ME 2 is active on the switcher.

Thanks for your help on this matter.

Evan Vickers

Re: DSK on ME 2-4

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:06 pm

I can't speak to the 4 M/E, but on our 2 M/E only M/E1 has the DSKs.

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:47 pm

This is more or less how every switcher works. The dsk are the last stage before the signal hits the output. Its only affect M/E 1 that is the final layer, in other switchers often called program layer.
See it as one switcher that has 4 M/E:s that you can set up and use for the final output. You must select M/E 2 on M/E 1 for it to become the active layer and then the dsk will be on top of it.
If you are using an AUX to send out M/E 2 directly then the only keys you have are upstream keys within M/E2.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 12:33 am

The "official" Downstream Keys are on the main program output of the ATEM which is M/E 1. If you are using MEs 2-4 separately, you could consider the four keyers available to each as separate down stream keys per ME. They build on top of each other from 1-4.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production