ATEM control over WAN

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

doctorsunshine

ATEM control over WAN

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 am

Hi,

I may need to control a ATEM video mixer, from a computer or control panel located in another building.

I think there should be a workaround to do that, maybe a kind of TCP port redirection on the WAN to LAN router, or maybe a VPN between the two buildings.....

Could someone help ?

Best regards,

John

Jeff Amato

Re: ATEM control over WAN

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 pm

I set this up awhile back after doing a lot of digging to find the communication port. Im not sure if this goes for all ATEM models but my ATEM Tvs listens on port 9910. I port forwarded both tcp and udp just in case and it works flawless. I have a dedicated ip so that also helps if youre out and about, dont have to worry about the dynamic ip changing.

Benjamin Doyle

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Jeff- great to hear this works! Do you have any trouble with occasional disconnect due to shaky networking? Is there any noticeable delay/lag in the switch?

We're currently using a remote desktop app to operate a machine that's connected to the switcher on a local network. Works pretty well and doesn't require the routing/port forwarding but it does require a dedicated computer to operate.

Bengt

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 2:35 am

We're interested in the same, remote switching. The concern has been the monitoring of all of the inputs over IP to make rational switching decisions. If anyone has thoughts on real time decent quality monitoring solutions, I'm all ears.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:04 am

Bengt wrote:We're interested in the same, remote switching. The concern has been the monitoring of all of the inputs over IP to make rational switching decisions. If anyone has thoughts on real time decent quality monitoring solutions, I'm all ears.

So you basically need some way to have a point-to-point low-latency stream of the Multiview Out. How "remote" are you from the ATEM?

I can think of lots of ways to accomplish that either way. Some hardware boxes - like ones from Teradek. That would be the easiest.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Live Production