Looking for recommendations for PTZ camera

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Logan Bartley

Looking for recommendations for PTZ camera

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 pm

I have the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD switcher, and it has the ability to control a PTZ camera, but I do not see any PTZ remote controllable cameras offered by Blackmagic Design. Are there any recommendations for cameras where I can mount one and have control of it remotely from my switcher? Application will be for live performance where I would have one on left side-stage and right side-stage, and would like to be able to zoom in and focus on one particular band member at a time, such as the lead singer, then the guitarist during a guitar solo, and the drummer during a drum solo, etc.

Xtreemtec

Re: Looking for recommendations for PTZ camera

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Here is an interesting topic for you about PTZ cameras and the Atem.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61265&p=384277#p350568

Remember that if you want to control PTZ from the Atem you need a control panel from BMD.

Or get a random Visca remote and have it seperated. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

roger.suski

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:38 pm

If the use case will actually be music coverage, I'd recommend against having the one and only camera controller on the same panel as your switcher. Sure, if you're doing a panel or some other static type of show, it is handy to be able to adjust a shot and punch your show at the same time. For music though, you really want to concentrate on which performer is active and let another operator frame and get the shots of the various musicians doing their thing. Just speaking from my experience having inherited a system where the only method of positioning cameras is on the switcher -- and it is only walk/talk not even a dynamic of music.

All that being said -- pretty happy with my BRC-X1000s and the RM-IP500. Also adding Rocosoft for joystick and computer-based control.

Kevin McGrath

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 pm

I agree with roger on this
I use my left hand to control my ptz cameras with my Panasonic controller
My right hand is for switching
If it becomes a busy shoot. I can call in a ptz operators to contro, the camera and make my job easier
With a band they can easily move around a stage.
I would suggest to add a third camera for a front wide shot. It makes things easier in the long run
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 am

What Kevin and Roger said...

Far easier to deal with cameras on a panel other than the switcher. We also use a separate camera operator for many shows-having 2 people at the ATEM panel would just not work...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Logan Bartley

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 9:41 pm

so far what I am finding, there are much cheaper Pan/Tilt heads with their own control system, some of them wireless, than what would cost for a VISCA compatible Pan/Tilt head, so looks like a separate controller for cam movement is going to be the way to go. I can also see the benefit of having a controller besides the ATEM switcher so cams can be moving with another panel while switching to the ready shots on the switcher.

Kevin McGrath

PostTue Nov 27, 2018 11:42 pm

Please remember that you get what you paid for
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Return to Live Production