Life saving required - Audio tracks, conforming, XML import.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Curtis

Life saving required - Audio tracks, conforming, XML import.

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi,

Back into Resolve, been a while but this latest version looks and is working really well for me.

Bit of a bind though.

I have an edit from PPro, it's a Red show with external audio, all sync'd properly. The edit was done using the scratch audio from the original camera files, no production audio at all. This edit is imported into Resolve and i can relink the source media - so all looks good. The timeline has clips and the stereo L R from the scratch audio.

I then bring in the proper audio and set it up and sync audio. So now the master video files have the original 2 channel scratch audio and a bunch of other mics.

If i drag a new clip onto a timeline then it's all there as individual audio tracks.

But of course the imported timeline shows only the L R scratch audio tracks. Then i realise that if i set the clip attributes to adaptive the other tracks are in fact in there. But here's where the problem now lays:

I cannot edit adaptive audio tracks can I? Only as a whole unit - no adjusting, fading and cutting adaptive tracks in the fairlight page? Is there a way to do this?

So going back to the timeline is there any way to change the timeline so instead of the imported L R i can have all the tracks showing? I don't think so. At a push i could manually bring the source clips down but i cannot find a way to set the In and Out points of a clip from the media pool to match a particular edit. In PPro it was possible to link to a clip in a bin maintaining the in and out from the clip on the timeline.

So right now i've hit a dead end - but then i've only really just started playing with Resolve - and there are much cleverer folk out there. So any advice or pointers would be really appreciated!

thanks
Paul

Paul Curtis

Re: Life saving required - Audio tracks, conforming, XML imp

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 pm

So more work and more confusion.

It seems that one there's an edit on the timeline you can't change the audio channels. I know i can change the default LR to adaptive and store the sync'd tracks in there but then i cannot really do anything *with* those adaptive tracks. They cannot be edited individually.

So been trying to export or deliver, in the hope that one format will break open the adaptive to mono then i can reimport. No go so far.

As far as manually redragging the audio that seems nigh impossible too. I can double check and get the editor in the source viewer but once there you cannot drag it down onto the timeline. It doesn't appear possible to Conform Lock from Media Pool and get the new audio either.

I can't help feeling i'm missing something here though? Seems like it's not an unusual workflow request?

thanks
Paul

Return to DaVinci Resolve