Atomos and braw

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Richard Cardona

Atomos and braw

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 4:24 pm

I recieved this reply to my inquiry to atomos.

'We will add braw if bm gives it to us'

Is to much to think that this will happen.

I purchased the bmpcc 4k but i have a sony fs700. Bm does not have zoom capable cameras.

AdamTV

Re: Atomos and braw

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:47 pm

You cannot send RAW to an Atomos via html. Worse still the html on the camera is the old version that only sends html. So internal recording is the was to go w the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard Cardona

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 12:36 am

Im thinking of the atomos inferno feeding it through the sdi and recording braww in the inferno. I dont see the problem if atomos has the codec. The problem is will bm share it or license it ti atomos or the odessy 7.

R cardona

Jack Fairley

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 12:42 am

Richard Cardona wrote:Bm does not have zoom capable cameras.

What? Multiple users here have posted footage of them using 66x box lenses with the Ursa Broadcast.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 am

I agree with Jack, both the Ursa Broadcast and the Pro are Zoom lens capable cameras, and can even take B4 ENG zooms, along with the numerous Cine zooms out there.

It just boils down to have much you want to spend... :roll:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 1:32 am

Richard Cardona wrote:Im thinking of the atomos inferno feeding it through the sdi and recording braww in the inferno. I dont see the problem if atomos has the codec. The problem is will bm share it or license it ti atomos or the odessy 7.
R cardona

SDI From what camera? The only current cameras with SDI out is the Ursa Mini series and Broadcast Cameras.

Now for a reality check, it is high,y unlikely that Blackmagic will give any support to Atomos. That would be like Sony and Panasonic sharing their camera designs. BM has already stated BRaw encoding is currently for BM cameras only, as it is sensor specific in its design and implementation.

Also Mr Grant is at “odds” with the Atomos over some previous history between them. So Atomos getting anything from BM is highly unlikely. Also there is no advantage with recording Raw to an external recorder, when the camera can do so internally to its own media. The only case would be to have backup recordings.

Anyway, Atomos has partnered with Apple and Panasonic to deliver raw recordings for cameras that can not record Raw internally, Panny EVA1, so they are not going to pay for a BRaw license from BM.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Richard Cardona

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 11:05 am

What i ment was cameras with servo thats not the same as buying a lens with servo. I also own a dvx 200.

I kind of remember mr. Grant not closing the posibility for letting other camera makers use braw. Of course if braw is dependant on in camera processing i can understand the difficulty of some other using it.

Richard c.

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 4:17 pm

AdamTV wrote:You cannot send RAW to an Atomos via html. Worse still the html on the camera is the old version that only sends html.

Yes, it would be a bit of a challenge to send raw video data using an ascii markup language.

:ugeek: :o :shock:
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

roger.magnusson

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 4:25 pm

To be fair, it does support Unicode. :lol:

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Richard Cardona wrote:What i ment was cameras with servo thats not the same as buying a lens with servo. I also own a dvx 200.
Richard c.

Richard the dvx Zoom Servo is still on the lens, but it is integrated in the lens/camera design, as this is a fixed kens camera. The Servo has to be in or on the lens TI run the zoom function in the lens. You can only get this type of “in camera” Servo control with fixed lens cameras. The zoom control can be anywhere on the camera body.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Richard Cardona

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 6:46 pm

The sony fs 700 throws raw from sdi and ithas servo and it has changeable lens be it part or nit. Nothing like it is is avilable on any bm camera. Thats why i would want the braw on the inferno or oddessy. Those aere the only ones that can get 4k raw from my camera and a couple of others.

Richard

Richard Cardona

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:
Richard Cardona wrote:Bm does not have zoom capable cameras.

What? Multiple users here have posted footage of them using 66x box lenses with the Ursa Broadcast.

I shoulnt have used zoom capable when i ment integrated zoom and by this i dont mean a fixed lens but a system thats part of the camera. Not adapting zomething from somewhere else.

Richard

JoshMallett

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Denny Smith wrote:
Richard Cardona wrote:Im thinking of the atomos inferno feeding it through the sdi and recording braww in the inferno. I dont see the problem if atomos has the codec. The problem is will bm share it or license it ti atomos or the odessy 7.
R cardona

SDI From what camera? The only current cameras with SDI out is the Ursa Mini series and Broadcast Cameras.

Now for a reality check, it is high,y unlikely that Blackmagic will give any support to Atomos. That would be like Sony and Panasonic sharing their camera designs. BM has already stated BRaw encoding is currently for BM cameras only, as it is sensor specific in its design and implementation.

Also Mr Grant is at “odds” with the Atomos over some previous history between them. So Atomos getting anything from BM is highly unlikely. Also there is no advantage with recording Raw to an external recorder, when the camera can do so internally to its own media. The only case would be to have backup recordings.

Anyway, Atomos has partnered with Apple and Panasonic to deliver raw recordings for cameras that can not record Raw internally, Panny EVA1, so they are not going to pay for a BRaw license from BM.
Cheers

Exactly what this person said. Why would someone even ask about recording BRAW externally? :lol: :lol:
My video work: https://www.JoshuaMallett.com

Richard Cardona

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 pm

4k raw through sdi from a sony fs 700 camera..
I didnt intend this as a camera thread. I just wanted information on the posibilities of atmos having braw as a codec.

Richard

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Nice thought Richard, but not likely going to happen. The best you can hope for is ProRes Raw, which is available on the one or two of the Atomos recorders, but since the FS700only has a 3G SDI, not sure this camera is supported for ProResRaw 4K? Per Sony:
“The NEX-FS700R can capture stunning 4K RAW movie footage with the AXS-R5 RAW recorder over 3G HD-SDI using the HXR-IFR5 interface unit.” This looks like this is the only way to record Raw with this camera, us g the Sony recorder. I do not think Uncompressed full 4K DSC Raw will work with 3G SDI output?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography